PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with LT acclimation

shark50
03/23/2009, 10:40 AM
I purchased a LT about 10 days ago and it still seems to be finding it difficult to find a 'settling spot'. It has tried 2 or 3 so far and has not stayed in one place long yet. The last one he tried I thought he would stay in but to no alass.

Water parameters are good (won't bother you with the details) but I suspect my new LED lights (aquaillumination) may be a tad too intense for him? I haven't tried the 'placing it in PVC and then into the gravel trick' yet but will that help? I have 2 Tunze nanostreams in the tank as well so maybe the current is too intense?

I have fed him a couple of times and he did take the food so that is a good sign I hope. I did also add a porcelin crab at about day 7 and while it found the LT to host (which is good) I suspect that may have stressed him out a bit more?

I admit that while I am not new to reefing I never have had huge success with anemones for some reason. I have read through quite a few of the posts here as well as some of the other forums so I know quite a few of you have had some good success so hopefully you can help educate me on what pieces I'm missing :)

Thanks so much for the help!

wicked_NaCl_h2o
03/23/2009, 11:30 AM
Welcome to reef central.
We like details, so your parameter details will help.
IME LTAs don't like too much current. It will keep moving to find a place where it won't get pushed around.
Yes, it taking food is a good sign.
My lta likes to be next to a rock, with its foot burried deep in the sand.
How deep is your sand bed?

Toddrtrex
03/23/2009, 02:49 PM
To add to what Christina said...

What size tank is this (( to get an idea how much flow you have )), they are fans of a lot of flow, and that can be an issue when getting them to settle in.

And do you know what lights it was under? I have no experience with LEDs, but that could be an issue too.

shark50
03/24/2009, 07:11 AM
I have a 45 gal Oceanic Tech tank. Water params: Nitrate - 0; Ammonia-0, calcium- 420; Nitrite-0; ph-8.6. I haven't tested Iodine levels yet although I have been dosing 2-3 times a week (~5mls @ dosing).

Yeah I am suspecting that the current may be too much for them but the way I have my tank arranged I would have to rearrange some rock to provide a safe 'cove' for it. Have any of you had to do this? I placed him Sunday AM in a quite corner area with very little current but since then he has wandered a little more toward the back of the tank.

As for the LED lights at 100% output they are quoted as being between a 250-400W MH. Of course I don't have a Par meter to test that assertion yet :)

Thanks again for the advice!