PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algea

tankjunky
03/23/2009, 02:51 PM
Now when I bought the tank from my cuzin it was filled to the top with hair algea. I got it down to about 3 4 rocks that have it and now I cant get the rest of it. Its just staying rite wher it is and its annoying me soooooo much. Ive been dosing vodka for 2 weeks now with skimming and ive noticed a slight decrease in the algea, it just got thinner. Ive also been doing 5 gallon water changes every other day almost and its still the same. Ive been in this war for 2 years and it seems endless. I would rather not use an animal to rid the tank of the stuff because it will just come back when the animal gets taken out. Rite now my flow is a little gaint return pump at about 450 GPH, 2 k3s and one k1.

What can I do to help get rid of this stuff.

kraze3
03/23/2009, 03:15 PM
Take out the rocks and scrub the stuff off.

seapug
03/23/2009, 03:17 PM
Installing a PhosBan reactor with GFO media might be a good idea.

Capt_Cully
03/23/2009, 03:18 PM
you can try adding Magnesium slowly until it reaches 1500 or so. You'll likely notice a large reduction. Some have even spot treated problem areas by blasting them with Mg supplements or even doing dips of the LR in it. Combine that with good ole fashioned elbow grease (aka scrubbing it off), and you just might kick it.

(this assumes the hair algae is actually bryopsis)

tankjunky
03/23/2009, 04:49 PM
Well I dont have anywer 2 put a phosban reactor. And I desined the stand to be able to easily put that kind of stuff in ther. But I just put some phosban and carbon into the sump in one of the overflows. My uncle keeps telling me to use this stuff that you have to shut off all the pumps and inject it on the HA and it kills it. I would scrub it off rite now but the most HA is on my two biggest rocks. wich are pretty big.

I would like a reactor tho.I can always make a spot for one. Can I get mg test kits and suplements from most LFSs. Ill try that and if that doesnt work ill try my uncles stuff. How slow should I raise it

nemofish2217
03/23/2009, 04:55 PM
you could run the phosphate binding material passively in a filter bag... that's what I am doing...

tankjunky
03/23/2009, 05:02 PM
they are all in filter bags