PDA

View Full Version : Remote picture taking

Recty
03/23/2009, 03:59 PM
What equipment would you guys recommend for remotely taking a picture without actually having to touch the camera? I'm looking at getting into a little focus stacking and I think I really need a remote trigger... which I know nothing about.

This would be for a Canon 50D mounted on a tripod. Anyone use something they would recommend? I'm trying not to break the bank on this, so try to keep it under $100.

TitusvileSurfer
03/23/2009, 04:06 PM
I recommend you use the wired shutter releases. Off brand should be just as as good as the Canon version. The canon is like $50 but you can get find an off brand version for $10 or so. I bet if you are crafty, you can buy the piece that fits into the camera and wire your own switch to the other end for about $2.

I do not recommend the wireless shutter releases. I originally bought one of these for family Christmas portraits (I was both photographer and subject at the same time). The experience was reminiscent of pointing your remote control at your television across the room, trying different angles hoping the signal would eventually catch. It sure would be a bummer waiting for the perfect moment (I shoot a lot of space ships) and the camera doesn't take a picture when I press the button because the signal didn't transfer. Get the wired version. If need be you can make the wire 100 feet long...but get the wired version. lol :)

BlueCorn
03/23/2009, 04:08 PM
I agree, unless you want to spend big dollars on some pocket wizards, I'd just buy the standard wired release.

Recty
03/23/2009, 05:37 PM
Just to make sure I'm getting this right, you guys are recommending something like the following...

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Remote-Release-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001CM0IF2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237851170&sr=8-2

BlueCorn
03/23/2009, 05:38 PM
That should be fine. The 10' cord might be a touch excessive but that's up to you.

Recty
03/23/2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I was thinking 10' sounds kind of long.

Can that be easily coiled? Like can I just coil it up and put a velcro strip around it to hold the coil, so I can expand it if needed? I'd hate to buy a 4' cord and need a 10' cord later...

I guess I'm not sure what is involved in the cord... is it an actual mechanical shutter trip? Like when I push the button in my hand it pushes a rod down the entire length of the cord and hits the shutter release? Or is it electronic signal telling the camera to take a picture?

BlueCorn
03/23/2009, 05:48 PM
It's electronic.

Tremont
03/23/2009, 06:16 PM
If you know a little bit about electronics, you can easily build your own, which is nice if you want some advanced computer controls. It blows my mind that canon get's away with selling, what amounts to a $1 switch connected to cable for $70.

Without any prior knowledge of this stuff, I built my own for <$50, only it is also an intervalometer + stepper motor driver and allows me to do some very advanced controls...to more than just my camera. All it takes is a little Arduino board and an Optocoupler (a relay controlled via flipping a bit on the Arduino) and you are cooking with gas. It may sound intimidating, but it's actually extremely easy and as soon as you realize that, it will blow your mind at how easy it is to do "other things"....

-Tre

Tremont
03/23/2009, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14675047#post14675047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
I recommend you use the wired shutter releases. Off brand should be just as as good as the Canon version. The canon is like $50 but you can get find an off brand version for $10 or so. I bet if you are crafty, you can buy the piece that fits into the camera and wire your own switch to the other end for about $2.

I do not recommend the wireless shutter releases. I originally bought one of these for family Christmas portraits (I was both photographer and subject at the same time). The experience was reminiscent of pointing your remote control at your television across the room, trying different angles hoping the signal would eventually catch. It sure would be a bummer waiting for the perfect moment (I shoot a lot of space ships) and the camera doesn't take a picture when I press the button because the signal didn't transfer. Get the wired version. If need be you can make the wire 100 feet long...but get the wired version. lol :)

+1

I had a infrared shutter release, and it sucked because the IR port is on the front of the XSI (I assume they did this because they assume the guy with the switch is in the shot?). 90% of the time I'm behind my camera and it is facing my aquarium, and therefore the switch is useless.

-Tre

TitusvileSurfer
03/23/2009, 06:38 PM
Yeah that one looks good. Make sure it has a switch that will allow you to continue pressing the shutter down even if you aren't physically holding the button down. I know I wold want to be shooting star trails and other neat things if I lived in Alaska where there are no lights. A 1 hour exposure is the pits if you have to literally hold the button down for an hour with your finger...and if you accidentally stop pressing the button you have to start all over.

A good switch will have a sliding mechanism which will "lock" the shutter in place for bulb modes. I do not believe the item you posted has this feature. It isn't a necessity or even practical unless you are shooting in "bulb" mode, but "bulb" mode becomes much more practical if you have this feature. For me this is one of those things that I didn't realize all of the neat applications for it until I had it.

Reef Bass
03/23/2009, 07:17 PM
Here's the official Canon one I use:

Canon EOS wired remote (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164276-REG/Canon_2476A001_Remote_Switch_RS_80N3.html)

Having something which performs this function, even if not this exact unit, is desirable.

For focus stacking, I'll probably be shooting remotely (using my laptop), and I don't use the remote control when I'm doing that. Just use a usb cable to hook up the camera to the laptop and control the camera (including shutter release but not focus) using the EOS Utility.

IPT
03/23/2009, 08:08 PM
I had the one RB linked above. I up'd my game though with this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164271-REG/Canon_2477A002_Timer_Remote_Controller_TC_80N3.html.

It's a little more expensive buy WAY more versitile. I can set how long I want to wait before the shutter is release, how many frames I want it to take, and how long to wait in between frames. Other wise your stuck with the 10 second onboard timer. Make it really nice when you want to take a ton of frames, or need more that 10 seconds to scramble up a rock face (or wherever else it takes more than 10 seconds to get too) to get a killer image of yourself.

http://www.greene-art.com/large_image_pages/alaska_pages/alaska-5.html

TitusvileSurfer
03/23/2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah that thing is SLICK. If you are into self portraits it could be well worth it!

Recty
03/23/2009, 09:38 PM
Alrighty, thanks a lot guys, this definitely helped point me in the direction I needed to go :)

marino420td
03/24/2009, 07:50 AM
Just an fyi- I just bought a wired remote release for a Canon on ebay for $6 and that included shipping. It took a couple of weeks to get here from China but well worth it.

waxy
03/24/2009, 01:54 PM
I picked up a wireless one from China too...too bad it's not working.

I use a timer :P

I'll have to look for a new remote now... haha.

benjonson
04/23/2009, 03:42 AM
[violation]

Roy G. Biv
04/27/2009, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14880857#post14880857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by benjonson
<font size="1" color="#0000FF">Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.</font>

1 post and "Moved On".. I guess he didnt have any time for those further violations.:rolleyes:

Jacob D
04/27/2009, 08:55 PM
I have one of those imported wired ones too. I got it from Deal Extreme... $4.75 shipped and it works like a charm :D

Misled
04/27/2009, 09:17 PM
Got to agree with Louis. We discussed this about Nikon ones. I have two. There's no comparison.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q68/jllndmb/DEF_1669.jpg