PDA

View Full Version : Using sand out of an existing tank

gradth
03/23/2009, 04:55 PM
I have about 30lbs of sand that came out of my 55. I have washed numerous times until the water runs clear. The sand itself was only in the 55 for about 4 months. It was quite nasty, but now after numerous cycling it seems just as clear as when I bought it.

I have read in a few other posts and seen varied opinions on the subject. Some had said NO WAY, others said clean it and its fine.

I need about 180 lbs for my new tank and just trying to shave some costs and use what I do have. Its not much, but it will save me a bit.

i figured I would let it sit for a few more days and then wash it again and see if any nasty stuff comes out.

Any thoughts?

bosko
03/23/2009, 05:14 PM
I USED ALL 150 LBS OF SAND FROM AN EXISTING TANK AND ALL IS GOOD SO FAR (6 MONTHS) IT WAS VERY DIRTY AS WELL. I THINK YOU WILL BE FINE

rastarainy
03/23/2009, 05:44 PM
yea you should be good. i'd just put it in there with water and see how it does. if it looks like its gonna be a bad result, you can just take it out and do a water change.

stricknine
03/23/2009, 05:48 PM
But I would suggest the final rinse in RODI, not tap. You dont want to leech all the junk in tap water into the new system (i made that mistake with my first tank and think Im still paying for it)

gradth
03/24/2009, 05:55 AM
Sounds good, thanks folks.