PDA

View Full Version : How to make my MSX 160 a little more quiet.

Radioheadx14
03/23/2009, 06:25 PM
I have my tank in my room and my msx160 skimmer is a little noisy.

I bought it around a year ago so I'm not sure what has been updated since. It has a loud hum and the air tube is pretty loud even with the silencer. I still have the stock, crappy air tube. I hear replacing the tube make a big difference as performance goes, but will it make it quieter too? Is there anything else that i could do to it to make it quieter or more effective?

I don't feel like reading through 100s of pages on the "official thread" so i thought i would ask the simple question here :)

Duff Man
03/23/2009, 07:47 PM
You can put a piece of paper towel or a cotton ball in the silencer to absorb additional noise. I would also make sure the skimmer isn't touching the side of your sump..

Radioheadx14
03/23/2009, 08:47 PM
I think it might be the silencer because when i put my finger over it, it get quiet. Its not touching anything and i have it setting on a piece of blue bonded filter pad to absorb some vibration of the pump.

Wouldn't putting something in there reduce the amount of air it would take in making it less effective?

THE ROOK
03/23/2009, 08:58 PM
Doesn't cost anything to give it a shot.

drpo21
03/23/2009, 09:01 PM
I have the same thing going on with my msx 160, the humming is killing me. These sicce pumps are really loud. This is a new one, about 3 months old. Not sure what to do.

Radioheadx14
03/23/2009, 09:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14677513#post14677513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drpo21
I have the same thing going on with my msx 160, the humming is killing me. These sicce pumps are really loud. This is a new one, about 3 months old. Not sure what to do.

I guess I will take performance and power efficiency over noise, but I wouldn't mind getting that under control too...

Duff Man
03/23/2009, 09:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14677380#post14677380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Radioheadx14
I think it might be the silencer because when i put my finger over it, it get quiet. Its not touching anything and i have it setting on a piece of blue bonded filter pad to absorb some vibration of the pump.

Wouldn't putting something in there reduce the amount of air it would take in making it less effective?

Just make sure you aren't blocking the airway. You don't want to pack it in, just throw a little something in there to stop the "echo." The goal is to absorb sound in the silencer.

Radioheadx14
03/24/2009, 10:05 AM
I'll try the cotton thing... but im skeptical about blocking air
Anyone else have any experience with this?

blazin
03/29/2010, 07:37 PM
Im having the same problem too, my skimmer is way too noisy

its more of a vibration than a pump issue, but I cant really tell.

i just posted something about mine:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16863306#post16863306

Daniel Name
03/29/2010, 09:26 PM
Mine does two noises:

Vibration noise and the air tube, even with the silencer..

I already tried a lot of things, none of them worked for me.

blazin
03/29/2010, 09:45 PM
I did a little bit of testing a few months ago.

The pump alone is quiet just submersed, and it gets noticable loud about 8" into water.

I bought some silicon pot holders like this at my local homegoods store, they say 100% silicone.

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KTA+219761KPHWH&.

It seemed to help with the resonance a little bit but it still hummed. Somedays I noticed it, others it didnt really bother me. But you're definately not alone.

Im curious to hear from somebody with a quiet MSX 160.

dan223
03/30/2010, 09:41 PM
I'll try the cotton thing... but im skeptical about blocking air
Anyone else have any experience with this?

yep works well after a few months though it got a little wet and started to restrict airflow, just make sure its not actually covering the tube openings at all. As far as the hum mine seemed to get better, or maybe I just cant hear it anymore with the VORTEC thats louder than all my other equip combined, that pos makes the msx160 sound dead silent.