PDA

View Full Version : Turboflotor Skimmer

Henryreef
03/24/2009, 02:26 PM
I have been looking to upgrade skimmers from my HOB to an insump skimmer when I install my sump. The Aqua Medic Turboflotor T1000 skimmer caught my eye (mainly because of price). I was wondering whether you guys would recommend it and rate it (FYI I have a 55g reef)

any suggestions or comments are appreciated

here is the link
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~AQ1111~idCategory~FIPSISNW~category~Venturi_Needle_Wheel-In_Sump_Skimmers-Protein_Skimmers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

THE ROOK
03/24/2009, 02:36 PM
I have one of those 'floaters but would look at either an Octopus or possibly a Vertex if buying new. The Octo's seem to have less pump problems, though. Turbofloaters really are a p.i.t.a. skimmer that requires constant attention & adjustments.

You'll hear many different views on this. Good luck.

Henryreef
03/24/2009, 02:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14682494#post14682494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by THE ROOK
I have one of those 'floaters but would look at either an Octopus or possibly a Vertex if buying new. The Octo's seem to have less pump problems, though. Turbofloaters really are a p.i.t.a. skimmer that requires constant attention & adjustments.

You'll hear many different views on this. Good luck.

Thanks for your opinion and help. I am really looking for something that is good quality but reasonably priced

fancyfish
03/24/2009, 02:55 PM
I have a turboflotor shorty that I mesh modded. Works very well

Henryreef
03/24/2009, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14682646#post14682646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fancyfish
I have a turboflotor shorty that I mesh modded. Works very well

hmmm :hmm1:. do you have a good link for the 'mesh mod', I am aware of what you do but a set of instructions would be helpful.

ducatimikep
03/24/2009, 05:45 PM
I ran one for over a year.
I had to fiddle with it for a week or so
& then never touched it. It would consistantly
remove the yuck from my tank.
Never had to readjust.
I was very pleased with it.

j tavares
03/24/2009, 07:04 PM
I am pleased with my Multi skimmer better performer than others I tried!

fancyfish
03/24/2009, 07:54 PM
got my materials from meshmod.net
they have no instructions but if you do a search you will get plenty of ideas. I took all the teeth of the impeller, used 2 or 3 layers of the enkamat and secured with zip strips. I trimmed up the materials and had great success. I am actually due for a redo.

Henryreef
03/24/2009, 08:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14684904#post14684904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fancyfish
got my materials from meshmod.net
they have no instructions but if you do a search you will get plenty of ideas. I took all the teeth of the impeller, used 2 or 3 layers of the enkamat and secured with zip strips. I trimmed up the materials and had great success. I am actually due for a redo.

thanks for the info

-- I am thinking the Turboflotor seems like a good skimmer for my tank, especially considering the price.

hairyman1
03/24/2009, 10:19 PM
use a maxijet 900 to feed it and no worries. Nice and quiet. makes good air, but has a large footprint. Make sure you get the Ocean runner 2700 pump. not the rio 2100 and you will be pleased. Marine depot used to have them for $209.00