PDA

View Full Version : Glass canopy issue!

poppybeds
03/24/2009, 03:37 PM
So apparently, all of the glass canopies made today are made to fit tanks with the plastic center brace, and *my* stupid old tank has the old-style glass brace with a thin plastic centerpiece, leaving the new canopies not deep *or* wide enough (by less than an inch both ways, enough for it to crash into the tank if bumped!). I *desperately* need a new canopy because the glass on the ones I have now are *filthy* and my boyfriend has decided use them and to soak them in lime-away and then in vinegar water and then in clean water to clean them off--a process I have VERY little faith in to get all the residue off.

Anyway I could adapt the center brace to fit the new canopies? I was thinking about beading silicone thickly by it to keep the canopy in place, but that got vetoed also.

Oceanic, continuity plz!

runningstix
03/24/2009, 04:02 PM
just ditch them!

username in use
03/24/2009, 06:29 PM
yeah, i dont like the idea of canopies. Youll get more evap, but youll get better gas exchange. Also you wont have any salt buildup or anything blocking that all too valuable light from reaching your inhabitants

Alaska_Phil
03/24/2009, 06:51 PM
Vinegar alone will do a great job of cleaning glass tops. but I'd also recommend just leaving it open. I finally did myself about a year ago. Other than the additional evaporation is great. less mess and my corals look better from the additional light.

Phil