PDA

View Full Version : Tang selection for a 200gal.

reefknight
03/25/2009, 10:25 AM
I am having a new 200 gal tank constructed and am pre planning my future fish list. The tank dimensions will be 63"L x 31.5" W x 24"H and will primarily be a reef display. I would like to have a few center piece fish for it as well. My current inhabitants will be transferred to the new display.

Current;
Solorensis wrasse, Sunburst anthias, Bartlett anthias (trio), Flame tail blenny, Darwin clownfish (pair). I also have a Labouti wrasse that has not been added to the display as of yet. He is in QT.

Future;
Dussumieri tang or Mata tang
Naso tang (Lipstick)
Magnificent foxface
Lineatus wrasse (pair)
Flasher wrasse pair (McCoskers) possible
Angelfish pair ( Swallowtail or Watanabei)

These are just "broad stroke" thoughts currently, and would like some toughts from owners of some of these species, especially the the more difficult tangs.

Thanks!

Conesus_Kid
03/25/2009, 11:22 AM
Even though your future tank volume is 200 gallons, I'd be concerned about the 65" length when looking at some of the larger tang species.

Either of the Acanthurus species you mentioned will require a minimum of a 6' tank, but preferably 8' in length.

Just some food for thought...

snorvich
03/25/2009, 11:36 AM
Yes, I agree. If you are going to have fairy and/or flasher wrasses you will need a tightly covered (not egg crate) tank.

AuroraDrvr
03/25/2009, 12:54 PM
Dussumieri tang or Mata tang
Definitely nothing less than an 8'...

Outerbank
03/25/2009, 01:03 PM
I would consider the kole, yellow, and convict tangs. These are some of my favorites and easy to keep. You could probably place all three in the tank. PBTs are cool if you want to deal with their personality.

reefknight
03/26/2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all of the opinions, I'm going to rethink a couple of these.

;)