PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks Question

Stuart60611
03/25/2009, 04:19 PM
I have a fowlr that I purchased used which is designed to use two filter socks after the water drains out of my refugium and into my sump. I need to use these filter socks because otherwise I get a ton of microbubles. The problem that I am having is that I am dosing vodka, and as a result, I am generating a lot of bacteria in my tank. The filtersocks clog up literally every day. I am not that concerned with how effective the filtersock is at trapping debris because mine almost never trap a whole lot of debris but rather yellow very quickly and clog as a result I believe of my high bacteria count. Are there any filter socks or alternatives which I could use which are more resistant to bacterial growth and do not clog up so fast?

Waylander
03/25/2009, 04:29 PM
Assuming that you are using a 100 mil sock, have you tried a 200 mil or even a 400 mil?

Jsin
03/25/2009, 04:34 PM
There are different micron levels on filter socks. I had some 200 micron socks and they would clog up fast as you have discribed. I switched to 100 micron socks and had better luck with them. I do not dose vodka but I did use the socks for traping the micro bubbles. I may be mistaken but I believe I saw some 50 micron socks. That may be all you need is to go to a lower desity sock. I got rid of my socks all together and made a couple DIY sump silencer/bubble traps. Hope this helps

Stuart60611
03/25/2009, 04:58 PM
I do not now what micron the ones I am currently using are, but I just ordered some 200 micron socks. I think I may have screwed up and ordered ones to trap smaller particles. Is the higher the micron mean it will trap smaller or larger particles?

vetdog
03/25/2009, 05:00 PM
the smaller the number the smaller the particle size it will trap

Stuart60611
03/25/2009, 05:01 PM
Ok, good, and I understood the micron variable correctly. If the 200 continue to clog up frequently, I will try to get some 400 and see if they work better.