PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of a white moonlight?

MarineGirl411
03/25/2009, 06:15 PM
I was wondering what people prefer? A white moonlight or a blue moonlight? Do you have any pictures of the white moonlight? I've had a blue one before, but I was interested in the white since it simulates the moon. =) TY.

Toddrtrex
03/25/2009, 06:18 PM
I personally like the blue ones better, but will use the white ones if I want to look at the tank after the main lights are off. I am thinking of using the white ones for dawn/dusk (( This is a Current Sunpod over my 30 cube )), but have been too lazy to hook up the timer.

As for pictures, I can try to take some tonight --- after the MH goes off. I will try to adjust the shutter speed so that it is fairly close to real life.

VaderWS6
03/25/2009, 07:18 PM
I have a blue moon light over my 75 gallon reef, and a white moon light over my 20 gallon reef. I like the blue one MUCH better. The white just doesn't look right...

airdog67
03/25/2009, 08:02 PM
blue all the way

MarineGirl411
03/25/2009, 08:48 PM
Would any of you mind posting pictures? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Toddrtrex
03/25/2009, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14693240#post14693240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineGirl411
Would any of you mind posting pictures? I'd greatly appreciate it.

;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14692034#post14692034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex

As for pictures, I can try to take some tonight --- after the MH goes off. I will try to adjust the shutter speed so that it is fairly close to real life.

MarineGirl411
03/25/2009, 08:54 PM
okay ;-) I will wait and be very eager!

seapug
03/25/2009, 09:21 PM
My fixture has white moonlights. They look very natural/moonlight-ish but I think the blue ones are a little more intense and interesting looking. Regardless, they are relatively dim and would probably be very hard to photograph accurately.

Toddrtrex
03/25/2009, 10:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14693294#post14693294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineGirl411
okay ;-) I will wait and be very eager!

Here they are, and I know that they are very blurry --- I broke my tripod and haven't gotten a new one yet --- but these should still give you an idea.

Blue ---

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/bluemoon.jpg

White ---

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/whitemoon.jpg

r-balljunkie
03/25/2009, 10:51 PM
blue for aesthetics, white for more realistic simulation. i have ran both, have the whites now. if you want to do a 50/50 , that is possible as well.

c

MarineGirl411
03/26/2009, 12:17 AM
Thank you Todd!!! I've had blue before. It was cool, but I really think I am digging the white. It's more realistic. Do you think your corals/fish prefer something better? I've read, only from one source, that the blue promotes spawning. I really like the white though. Thank you so much for the pictures!!! A big hug!

Toddrtrex
03/26/2009, 12:23 AM
You are very welcome, I am just sorry that they are so blurry. (( doesn't help that these pain pills make my hands shake too. )).

I haven't noticed any difference with the corals/fish when I leave the white ones on (( the blue are one all the time ))

As for spawning, the clown pair that I have in that tank haven't been in there long enough to spawn. But, I have a pair of pink skunks and a pair of Clarkiis (( two different tanks )) that spawn every two weeks, neither of those tanks have any moonlights.

hug back. :)

Toddrtrex
03/26/2009, 12:32 AM
And because I am a nice guy. ;)

Here is a picture with both the white and blue moon lights on (( there is a total of 6 blues, and 6 whites ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/bothmoon.jpg

MarineGirl411
03/26/2009, 12:42 AM
Wow,
Okay. Now there is a dilemma. I like it best with both. I was just looking at your tanks and oh my goodness. You have a beautiful collection of tanks! Your Potter's Angels are beautiful. You're on pain meds? For what? Are you okay? I know how you feel. I was in a car accident and was on pain meds myself and they made me a little funny.

sanababit
03/26/2009, 12:43 AM
blue looks cool

sana

Toddrtrex
03/26/2009, 12:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14694471#post14694471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineGirl411
Wow,
Okay. Now there is a dilemma. I like it best with both. I was just looking at your tanks and oh my goodness. You have a beautiful collection of tanks! Your Potter's Angels are beautiful. You're on pain meds? For what? Are you okay? I know how you feel. I was in a car accident and was on pain meds myself and they made me a little funny.

Thanks, yea, looking at those 3 I like both the best too.

And thanks for your comments on the tanks. But, I hate to report I lost both Potter's a week ago. Long story short, had my 3rd back surgery on the 2nd, two weeks later had to have an unplanned 4th one -- was leaking brain and spinal fluid. Was in the hospital for 5 days, while I was there my main pump failed (( My father was going to my place to top off the tanks --- only told him to check the sump's water level, and it appeared fine --- my fault for not explaining everything. But, I could barely stand up with out passing out from the headache, so wasn't thinking too clearly ))

Sorry about the car accident, doing better?

ludnix
03/26/2009, 01:48 AM
Here's a picture of my white moonlights. It's pretty old but it's not like I take moonlight pictures that often. Long exposure obviously, in reality they are not quite as bright, but just enough that you wouldn't stumble into the tank in the dark.

http://www.someawe.com/uploads/120gallon/October/19/moonlights.jpg

Here's the daytime shot for comparison.

http://someawe.com/uploads/120gallon/October/fts.jpg