PDA

View Full Version : Which is better a brittle star or a serpent star?

Delr3
03/26/2009, 08:39 AM
I have a 125 g tank and I plan to do a reef tank with fish. My question is which would be better or the tank a serpent or a brittle star? Does one posses better traits than than other? I like the looks of the brittle star better, but would like to do with one that does a better job in an eco system than one that looks good. Thanks for you help,

Del

FutureBoyGenius
03/26/2009, 08:41 AM
I have heard brittle stars move around more and eat more detritus, but I would also like to know. I have a serpent star that hides all the time.

Delr3
03/26/2009, 08:45 AM
I've seen the same thing with the serpent. Someone told me that when the brittle gets big that they can become aggressive towards fish, not sure if the statement is true so I'm trying to find out more info. Hopefully we will both learn something about them today. Thanks for the comment.

ehren78
03/26/2009, 09:26 AM
Yes Serpent's are Nocturnal, they hate light, but I used to have 1 in a large reef where I had plenty of fish that disappeared (Chromis) the Serpent will eat the fish before you even knew you were missing it. Brittle Stars, I have hundreds of them tiny britts and yes they do eat alot of detritus. So ask yourself, are you going to have alot of fish in your reef or just a few. My vote is Sea Serpent

PUParrothead
03/26/2009, 09:29 AM
Why not both? I have one of each and never had any problems with either of them. I like the variety...

chrisp074
03/26/2009, 10:55 AM
Ophiarachna incrassata do prey on fish, avoid them.

greenbean36191
03/26/2009, 01:31 PM
The distinction between brittle and serpent stars is an arbitrary one. Taxonomically and ecologically there is no distinction.