PDA

View Full Version : copper

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 12:43 PM
Where do i find a copper treatment for fish with ich? I just purchased garlic guard and some metronidazole from seachem which is a safe treatment for several protzoan and anaerobic bacterial diseases of fish (cryptocaryon, Hemanita, Ichthyopthirius) from what the botle says. But if this does not work i would like to now where to get the best copper treating medication.

patsfan1130
03/26/2009, 01:50 PM
Cupramine is a common copper treatment in the hobby. I have seen it in all of the LFS I frequent. I have seen it at Petco as well. Personally, I use a product called Copper Power. It is less toxic and just as effective.

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 01:59 PM
Now if i treat the fish in QT with copper how do i go about putting the back into the tank when they are ich free? by catching them wont the net have any copper water on it and be put into the display? Or does that not effect the display since the amount of copper water on the net is nothing compared to the tank volume.

patsfan1130
03/26/2009, 02:32 PM
NSW has traces of copper in it. You'll be fine transferring them back to the DT. certainly do not transfer any of the copper treated water back into the display but worry not when putting the fish back :)

Paul B
03/26/2009, 02:51 PM
by catching them wont the net have any copper water on it and be put into the display?

Yes it does and I once killed an anemone that way.

Just catch the fish in the copper water and stick him and the net in a container of tank water for a minute, then put him in your tank.

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 02:52 PM
Have you or anyone ever try mardel Copper safe for saltwater? If so how was your experience with it?

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 02:59 PM

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 03:00 PM
Also, im new at treating for ich with saltwater, Ive had it in the past with freshwater, but i see this is a whole new ball field. I was reading how ich attaches itself to the fish and then drops then looking for anew host within a few minutes or hours. But i have a question when you see the fish have no signs of ich on the fish does it mean its ich free or are the parasites so small you cant see them?

Paul B
03/26/2009, 03:05 PM
But i have a question when you see the fish have no signs of ich on the fish does it mean its ich free or are the parasites so small you cant see them?

No, it means the paracites fell off the fish to multiply, now there are hundreds where there were 10, and in a few days there will be thousands.

Treating with copper is simple but it needs to be done in a tank with no coral items like gravel or coral rock and you must test the copper every day because it will be removed constantly and needs to be re added every day.
If the level goes down, you need to start all over again. Also a copper overdose will kill the fish faster than the paracites so be careful when testing.
Just read the bottle and measure exactly how many actual gallons of water you have in the tank. A 20 gallon tank means it could hold 20 gallons of water if filled to the brim with no rocks in there.

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah i have a 20 gallon QT. Paul, what type of copper treatment brand do you recommend to use?

Paul B
03/26/2009, 03:56 PM
I use this stuff called "Super Proto Go" which is copper 1.25%
and formulin 17%

I always liked ther copper/formulin formula better.
This bottle I have is probably 20 years old and not made anymore

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/26/2009, 04:05 PM
I was going to order some stuff called Copper Power. Have you read anything good about this? patsfan1130 says he uses this product because its less toxic and just effective.

Also thanks for all the info/help