PDA

View Full Version : Best Domain Sites For Photography

golfschosen1
03/26/2009, 05:37 PM
Hi All,
I hope this is okay to post this question on reef central if not i apologize..............I am looking to showcase my work and I am wondering what is the best domain site for people to see my work.............I am not talking about sites like flickr and photobucket looking more at the pay sites any suggestions would be great thanks for reading and responding

Steve

BlueCorn
03/26/2009, 06:39 PM
The answer all depends on your goal. What are you trying to accomplish?

TitusvileSurfer
03/26/2009, 07:07 PM
Like Smug Mug? I don't even understand your question.

golfschosen1
03/26/2009, 07:11 PM
ive looked into smug mug it seems to be okay but just wondering if there is anything else out there................my goal is to get some recognition and hopefully sell a few pictures

BlueCorn
03/26/2009, 07:26 PM
There are a few options. If you're looking to sell stock, something like Photoshelter is what you're after. To be effective in that market you need to be an exceptional photographer and have a very large catalog (1000s of images). There are also micro-stock agencies like Shutterstock but you need an even larger catalog.

If you're looking to sell art prints of your work, you're in for a long road. While from a business perspective it's imperative to have a website, you won't get rich selling prints on the Internet.

golfschosen1
03/26/2009, 07:42 PM
Beerguy thank you for your input its appreciated..............I am not looking to do sell pictures for an income as I golf as a profession............I just would like to share my work with people and get recognized as i mentioned also would be nice to sell a few prints just so I can share my work...............Thanks again for your input i do appreciate it and I will look into both of those sites

Steve

kilroy217
03/27/2009, 06:22 AM
another site is istockphoto.com

basically, you can post your images and if people want to use them, they pay from $1 to around $20 depending on the size of the image. It's all royalty-free, so a lot of graphic design and marketing types go on there.

BlueCorn
03/27/2009, 07:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14702502#post14702502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kilroy217
another site is istockphoto.com

basically, you can post your images and if people want to use them, they pay from $1 to around $20 depending on the size of the image. It's all royalty-free, so a lot of graphic design and marketing types go on there.

Yeah - same category as shutterstock. You still need a huge catalog to make any kind of money.

swjim
04/01/2009, 08:52 AM
You might also want to look into Alamy and Getty Images if you haven't already.

TitusvileSurfer
04/01/2009, 11:22 AM
If you aren't pumping out thousands of images than you are just making personal art. Selling the rights to your personal art for $.50 (many go for less) is like selling your soul IMO. Now if you can sell a few pictures and buy a new lens with it...I can see that but...I don't see you making more than $20 over the course of a month or even a year so its like...why sell it? I don't know...the rights to my photographs are worth more than $.10 but to each his own.