PDA

View Full Version : Mystery or Not????

mbscuba
03/26/2009, 09:05 PM
I upgraded my 40g to a 75g. I brought over a Cole Tang, Bangai Cardnal, Bullet Gobby, snails, hermits, and coral. Everything was running fine for about 2 weeks. Then it started. First my cole died. I went and bought an anthias. It strted getting sick, and died. Then my gobby was getting real ill, and died. I kept checking parameters, and everything was at zero. No NH3, NO3, or NO2. Ph was 8.2. I even tried water changes. My Cardnal is as healthy as a Lion. All my snail, hermits, Corals, brittle star, banded coral shrimp are also perfect. I desided to get some more hardy fish. Put in two Chromas, and a clown (Nemo). The chromas are great, Nemo passed after 2 days. Is it a mystery, or just my luck and got bad fish. Keep in mind I've had the Gobby for 5 months. Could there be a Toxin in the water, that can't be tested, and only harms some animals?

Any help

Thanks

odyssey1
03/26/2009, 10:06 PM
When you upgraded did you use the water and live rock that was in the old system?

How long did you wait to put in the newly mixed salt water? This could be a problem.

Have you checked the voltage in the water? You can do this by using a volt meter and grounding one end and sticking the other in the tank. excessive voltage could be the problem!!

There are so many possibilities?

SORRY!!!

LunarDDS
03/27/2009, 05:05 AM
A while back I had several fish die off in a couple of weeks time and I swear I had gotten a bad batch of frozen baby brine shrimp. I stopped feeding that particular batch and everything was fine. I am not positive that was the cause but it sure seemed that way. My fish were over 3 years old at the time.

mbscuba
03/27/2009, 05:21 AM
odyssey1, I brought over about 35g from the previous tank and all the live rock along with more live rock. I will check the voltage today. Thanks

LunarDDS, I have been feeding some frozen brine. I am switching.

mbscuba
03/27/2009, 05:34 AM
I did just check my voltage, and it was at .06V
How much is to much

crvz
03/27/2009, 07:32 AM
where did the "more live rock" come from? If it was uncured, you very easily could have been going through an ammonia spike, which can quickly eliminate any fish in the tank.