PDA

View Full Version : SPS growth pattern

cdamiano
03/27/2009, 04:44 AM
I have a few Acro frags that I got from fellow reefers that have taken on quite a different growth pattern than the tanks that I got them from. In the tanks I got them from they had a nice compact bushy type of growth pattern and in my tank they have taken on more of a staghorn type of growth. Is there anything that can be done to influence this? I'm thinking it may have to do with flow?? What type of flow or other influences will help to cause a bushy type of growth as opposed to a staghorn type of growth? The specific type of coral that I experienced this with is a Millepora.

reeftard73
03/27/2009, 06:54 AM
Water flow and lighting have a direct impact on growth patterns. Corals will grow in a 'bent' pattern to get exposed to light.

Santoki
03/27/2009, 07:46 AM
IME, more intense light results in longer, less bushy growth. More flow results in thicker branches. Your mileage may vary...

Capt_Cully
03/27/2009, 09:29 AM
I'm a big believer in flow dictating the growth pattern. You can see corals curving in to get in front of powerheads in my tank. I have some tabling millies that in high flow table out. In lower flow take on more of a stag's growth pattern.