PDA

View Full Version : Equipment in Basement Plumbing Question

mnchartier
03/27/2009, 06:51 AM
I am looking at setting up a 120 gal reef tank and would like the equipment to be placed elsewhere. On the other side of the wall is the garage which is not heated so living in Mass that throws that location out, so I can go to the basement, my question is what do most people do with the plumbing from the basement to the tank upstairs. The good thing is that my filtration system on my well is below where the tank will be and to the left so the plumbing for the RO/DI system will not be to bad. But what do most people do for the drain and return lines when they do this, I was think the flex tubing may be a good solution. Do you go thru the wall or the floor? The electrical will be done by a friend that is an electrician so that is covered. I started to make my equipment list but have not decided on the pump, sump, or fuge because of this.

pimpinitup6969
03/27/2009, 06:54 AM
You would have to go through the floor. i personally used spa flex its flexible enough to do what you need but gives it a nice clean look!

kraze3
03/27/2009, 06:55 AM
Flex will work just fine. I personally would drill through the floor. Obviously make sure you are not drilling through any joists because that will weaken the floor. Going through the wall could be a pain. If your on the first floor there will be probably be stuff in the way. Either go through behind the tank or right trough the bottom of the stand.

mnchartier
03/27/2009, 06:59 AM
Thats what I thought I would have to do so now I need to convince my wife to let me drill through the hardwoods

kraze3
03/27/2009, 07:01 AM
Yea but if you do it inside the stand no one will ever know. Maybe you can do it without her ever knowing lol.
If you ever need to repair it, its not hard to get one piece of hardwood floor out and put another down.

kzickovich
03/27/2009, 07:26 AM
I went thru the floor right behind the stand and I used pvc. To me that looks better and you can run the pvc along the floor joists to your sump and its up and out of the way also will never spring a leak if you glue it good.

pimpinitup6969
03/27/2009, 07:44 AM
yeah i never cared much for the soft tubing because of the look. but the spa flex is the best of both worlds!