PDA

View Full Version : Adding LR to new tank

johnvic
03/27/2009, 10:48 AM
My tank has been set up for 3 weeks. There is LS and LR in it. I have not detected any ammonia or nitrates and maybe a small amount of nitrites but that may be me misreading the results.

I purchased a small tank for a QT and had purchased a pound of LR for it. But have decided that it makes more sense to just seed my bio filter for the QT in my DT instead of putting LR in it. So now I have a pound of LR, some pieces that look nice. They have been sitting in the bag from the LFS for 5 days with a little saltwater. Is there are any reason to not put them in my DT? My guess is that since it is such a small amount that it would not really be a problem.

I have no fish in inverts in my tank. My plan was to wait until at least the 2nd week of April to add a CUC to the DT and quarantine my 1st fish.

Make sense?

WaterKeeper
03/27/2009, 11:06 AM
Put it in John. If you plan to wait 2 more weeks it should do no harm but you may see some ammonia after you add it. Don't add the water from the bag.

thegrun
03/27/2009, 11:17 AM
+1, but check your ammonia and nitrates after two weeks to be sure you are not having another mini-cycle and need to wait a little longer. You don't need to test any sooner unless you just want to see what's going on.

johnvic
03/27/2009, 01:05 PM
I may test just to practice testing. As much as I want pets I'll wait if I get a mini-cycle.

Thanks for the replies!

reefscape15
03/27/2009, 07:00 PM
I'm glad to see a patient newbie! Thats probably the hardest thing to learn about this hobby.