PDA

View Full Version : Been a while since I've visited so an update

Aydee
03/27/2009, 11:24 PM
This is also a thanks post to all the great people at RC.

I'm still going strong with my reef tank. :P

Now someone (maybe) may remember that the last time I posted I was having a MAJOR heatwave problem. Days in a row consistently above 100F outside. Our inside house cooler was not going and water temps in the tank were getting up to approx 30C (80F). Not good.

I had been doing a rotation of 2L bottles of frozen water, pulling one out just before it had completely melted.

I ran fans as much as possible. (both suggestions from RC. Thanks guys)

Finally, the heatwave ended. Final casualty list? 1 x hermit crab.

Thing which is needing some major babying: 1 x frogspawn (It went from having 1' tentacles to at the time 80% skeleton and tentacles that MIGHT extend 1/4"). The frogspawn is now recovering. It's now occupying approx 40 - 50% of old skeleton and tentacles are extending a little over 1" now. Lots of babying still to do. But should live quite happily.

Fish although obviously getting stressed (pair black oscellaris and 1 bicolour blennie), but pulled through ok and have now returned to their normal happy selves.

Other corals (Trachy, fungias, polyps, zoas and similar) have pulled through.

-----------------------------------------
I've also since gotten a few new jobs. The unexciting job is the 'IT nerd' job. But the other? Pet shop. More specifically, one that sells fish (Up to recently marines included but head office just killed that idea.. :mad2: )

I've made it a deal with myself to give the best advice I can and where possible convince people to take the time necessary. My little catchphrase I'm using is "1 month of planning and prep will save you a pile of heartache 1 day in the near future".

I've sold a few tanks now and every person I've sold (As far as I can tell) is taking it sensibly. Many get excited after they start getting their 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite readings. Most have spent the extra $50 or so on getting a QT setup.

My mother-in-law even has 'heard of me' through her friends that are interested in fishkeeping. So I'm obviously getting a good rep out there.

I know that this reputation is all because of reading the threads, posts and articles posted by you guys. I may not comment in many of your threads, but any advice I see which is reasonable I try my best to remember.

Keep up the good work guys. I'm still reading. Just not posting much.

So.. Again.. Thanks everyone!!!

:D

AD

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear your tank is recovering nicely. That's awesome! Also congratulations on the new jobs.

I am happy to see that you are providing new aquarists with help and encouragement. Getting people started on the right foot leads, I think, to a much better success rate for both the aquarist and for the LFS.