PDA

View Full Version : Filter Sock

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 08:15 AM
I have a 150g display/40g refugium/100g sump system that is all plumbed together. I use large diameter pool tubing to drain both the DT and refugium. Both lines just dump directly into the Rubbermaid stocktank sump. My sump is not divided into sections. Currently I am using no filtersocks. Should I add filtersocks to the end of my drainage lines? Am I correct in thinking their main function is to keep large particulate matter out of the sump? Can someone help me with pros and cons for using filter socks?

Thanks and happy reefing!

pimpinitup6969
03/28/2009, 08:20 AM
depending on the size of the micron it can do as much as catch bigger particles of stuff or even buff the water with a 10 micron. i personally use socks the only downfall is that you have to change the socks very often or your water params go downhill fast

Qdaddy
03/28/2009, 08:39 AM
I have mine on the drain line into the sump. Helps keep the nitrates down by catching all the excess food, and anything else you stir up in the tank. I change mine about every 4 days. I have a 4 sock rotation, and got to my LFS who exchanges clean ones for the dirty ones for two bucks a piece. Helps keep the wife happy with no dirty, smelly socks in the washer and gives me an excuse to go to the LFS.:rollface:

sasharotty
03/28/2009, 09:24 AM
I use them in my sump and change out every 3 days.Great for catching excess food and particulate.But like stated above you need to change them out frequently or water quality goes into the s*****.

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 09:28 AM
Do you just rubberband them over the end of the plumbing? OR, is there a more accepted way to install them?

ct_vol
03/28/2009, 09:36 AM
The only time I use a sock is when cleaning out my sump... Used 24/7 it catches the good with the bad, including copepods and rotifers... Instead, I use a pump to suck the detritus/junk off the bottom of my sump with a filter sock rubber banded on the end of the return tube to catch the junk and allow the water to return to the sump... It works great for keeping the sump tidy... Just throwing another idea out there... ;)

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 09:48 AM
Randy, where in Tennessee are you? I am originally from East. Tenn and am a 2x UTK grad. :D

Qdaddy
03/28/2009, 09:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14709736#post14709736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferstace
Do you just rubberband them over the end of the plumbing? OR, is there a more accepted way to install them?

I just have a 1"pvc pipe going across sump through the loop in the sock and the two drain lines sitting inside. When it starts to overflow I change it out.

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 09:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14709884#post14709884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Qdaddy
I just have a 1"pvc pipe going across sump through the loop in the sock and the two drain lines sitting inside. When it starts to overflow I change it out.

Sounds easy enough. Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna go play in the plumbing. :)

ct_vol
03/28/2009, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14709849#post14709849 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reeferstace
Randy, where in Tennessee are you? I am originally from East. Tenn and am a 2x UTK grad. :D

I live in Oak Ridge... I'm doing my second round at UTK... ;)

reeferstace
03/28/2009, 10:06 AM
I grew up in Newport and lived in Knoxville (Powell) for about 10 years b4 moving to Georgia. I worked in Oak Ridge for awhile as a radiologic technologist for an orthopedic group there.

I have found a nice little pocket of UT people down here in a sea of Dawgs.

Is Aquarium still open? I know it was started by a couple of UT grad students back in the 80's

ct_vol
03/28/2009, 11:35 AM
Aquarium is still open... They moved off of Papermill though...