PDA

View Full Version : Too much flow for fuge?

Ratpack
03/28/2009, 10:00 AM
I am building a new sump for my 75g tank. I want to add a fuge to this one for even better nutrient export. My return currently is about 300gph, would this be too much if I add the fuge between the return section and the skimmer section? Or should I put the fuge on the opposite end from the skimmer and have the return in the center and use a powerhead to pump water into the fuge from the return section?

THE ROOK
03/28/2009, 11:59 AM
I like the return in the middle. Allows all chambers to have different water levels. Generally you want the refuge higher than the skimmer & this is not possible if the fuge is in the middle.

No need for another pump. Just a little time to split the drain & add a cheap ball valve on the fuge side. My sump is setup like this design;

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html

Ratpack
03/28/2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks, I have my return pump throttled back a little now, so I guess I could use that extra to feed the fuge. Problem, or not, is I may slow down my sump flow to around 250gph and only have about 100 going to the fuge. Of course these are just estimates based on data from the vendors, but is that enough? My DT has plenty of in tank flow, so that is not an issue and I can put a koralia 1 I have in the fuge to circulate it more if needed.

THE ROOK
03/28/2009, 01:21 PM
My return is somewhere around 400gph on my 75. Most flow heads to the skimmer area. Adding a Koralia in the fuge may be a good idea. It will help to keep the macro algea stirred.

Everyone has a different opinion on sump flow. I don't like alot of flow as it gives the skimmer more time to work & also I don't like the type of flow that the return adds to the tank.

Ratpack
03/28/2009, 01:59 PM
What do you think about uping the flow? I have a Little Giant pump that is new and sitting in the box. I could add it, but at 6 feet it putting out 1050gph. I could reduce that and send more to the fuge but you think that may be too much? What pump are you using?