PDA

View Full Version : Light requirements

AquaSeahorse
03/28/2009, 06:16 PM
I've been involved in saltwater aquariums on and off in the past, and I recently setup a 60 gallon saltwater aquarium. I have; however, never really kept corals. I have about 70 pounds of rock and the tank has been setup for a few months. I started out with the intention of just having a FOWLR.

Of course I now have the urge for a few corals. I ordered the coralife 48" power compact strip. It has 2x65 watt actinic and 2x65 watt 10,000K day bulbs. Will this be sufficient for corals? I know that different corals have different requirements. Ideally, I would like mushrooms, polyps, some zoos, and maybe some xenia. I really have no idea at this point, as I am unsure of the requirements for most corals. I have some reading to do!

Any opinion on the corallife lighting I've ordered? Thanks!

Mopar Reefer
03/28/2009, 06:20 PM
You shouldnt have a problem with those corals :) Never owned any corallife lighting.

mutateddogbone
03/28/2009, 06:31 PM
ive used coralife PC fixtures on my 29g that i used to have n i could do most softies and sum lps.

reefscape15
03/28/2009, 07:18 PM
You should be able to keep most LPS, zoas, shrooms and softies, but probably SPS won't make it unless they are much lower light. My friend had the Current version of this light and he had quite a few LPS and zoas. He had just a couple SPS and they kinda lost some color, but he's also been switching tanks and i'm sure this had some to do with it also. It's a pretty nice light, but if you are to go with maybe a 6 bulb T-5 with individual reflectors you should be able to keep most SPS as well. If you're just getting into a reef tank, you should get the best equiptment you can afford because after you get started, you will want to be able to keep anything you see! I had a Current Nova Extreme 24" on a 20gal and kept a few SPS under them and tons of LPS, Zoa and shroom frags