PDA

View Full Version : Copper Power

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/29/2009, 12:34 AM
Getting this stuff to treat for ich, Do you keep the salinity at 1.010 during a copper treatment? also i have a api copper test kit. what level should i be looking to be keeping it around?
This is going to be the 1st time for treating for ich and using copper

sanababit
03/29/2009, 12:40 AM
No just use either copper or hypo

Hypo is bringing you salinity to 1.009, slowly and keping it at that value for 30-40 days

Copper is kepping a normal salinity, say 1.025 and dosing copper per instructions for a certain amount of time.

I chose hypo

Sana

BrianOKC
03/29/2009, 12:41 AM
You do realize you want to do this in a quarantine tank and not your display? Because it will kill coral, inverts and possibly leach into your live rock. If so I think you can treat copper with normal salinity because copper is stressful to fish as well. Copper will also kill some fish such as puffers and there are more just be sure to do your research on it.

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/29/2009, 12:44 AM
yes i have a QT with my fish in there.. no treatments in the tank at all

BrianOKC
03/29/2009, 12:47 AM
I have only done it 1 time and it stressed some of my fish more than the Ich did and I discontinued it and went the hypo route. I can't say for sure I didn't dose too much because the test kit I had was very hard to read.

YE||0W TA|\|G
03/29/2009, 01:03 AM
i tried the hypo route and all the ich dropped off the fish. i did a water change and the next day it was back. i keep hearing that copper is the only way to treat ich

Patrick12
03/29/2009, 01:17 AM
Copper is the gold standard for most ectoparasites, but especially crypt and amyloodinium.

You definitely do not want to use hypo/copper combo. Fish are continually drinking in saltwater to make freshwater for their metabolic uses when in NSW condx. As such they excrete the solutes thru their skin gills and kidneys. Telosts do not have the ability to concentrate their urine above what they maintain in their serum. With hypo condx, they do not need to process the water they drink in as much since it is close to what they maintain anyway. As a result they decrease their glomerular filtrate even less as there are less solutes to excrete.....all of this decrease in function is what allows them to have less metabolic stress and the ability to use more metabolic resources for immune function. Copper is hepatotoxic (liver) and largely excreted in urine. So, if less urine is produced, it will affect its normal clearance. Best to keep NSW condx as the copper will do all the work on the theronts anyway.