PDA

View Full Version : do you need a ULNS to have an amazing colours on sps?

fish lad
03/29/2009, 08:44 AM
hi all

i am a bit of a noob to this

i am just planning my first SPS tank and i love the colour so much on them

i am going to use T5 bulbs i think and the tank size will be around 30gal + sump (50/60gal)

but do i need to go the ULNS to get good colouration on my corals?

thanks all

ste

mpoletti
03/29/2009, 09:09 AM
The answer is no. You do not need a ULNS system to achieve amazing colors. Good luck :)

bogg
03/29/2009, 09:20 AM
well it's all a matter of personal choice. The vast majority of Reef central posters will tell you NO. Well let's think about trying to replicate the corals most close to natural living/thriving situation. You as a reefer need to find how you can achieve these colors that are best suited for your eyes. Do you like what these other ulns tanks look like?. The easiest thing to do would be to pick a tank/ filtration method lighting/ flow etc that you think you can handle and try to replicate it.

kev apsley
03/29/2009, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14715775#post14715775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
The answer is no. You do not need a ULNS system to achieve amazing colors. Good luck :)

+1 I agree with Mark

fish lad
03/29/2009, 01:17 PM
thanks guys :)

i think i will give it a miss for the beginning - learn to keep SPS the proper way then move to it if i need to/want to in the future when i have a bit of experience under my belt

cheers

mpoletti
03/29/2009, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14717253#post14717253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fish lad
thanks guys :)

i think i will give it a miss for the beginning - learn to keep SPS the proper way then move to it if i need to/want to in the future when i have a bit of experience under my belt

cheers

That sounds like a great idea. Learning basic husbandry and creating a stable tank is the first step to actually enjoying the hobby rather than fighting it every step of the way.

Ocean Hugger
03/29/2009, 02:01 PM
Whats an "ULNS"

mpoletti
03/29/2009, 02:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14717502#post14717502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ocean Hugger
Whats an "ULNS"

Ultra Low Nutrient System--Like zeovit, fauna marine or Neo zeo by brightwell

eskymick
03/29/2009, 03:07 PM
IMO, you don't need to use a ULNS "system" to achieve great SPS colors, BUT it should be your aim to reach and maintain a very low nutrient environment in your reef to achieve that ultimate goal of great color.

There are many "traditional" husbandry practices that can be employed to reach and maintain a very low nutrient environment.

glassbox-design
03/29/2009, 04:13 PM
The term ULNS can fit a variety of filtration methods. Oligotrophic or nutrient poor water can be achieved without the use of bacteria driven systems. However, they are the most popular methods used to achieve such low "nutrients".

The reason I make this distinction is some implications from low nutrients are not unique to these bacteria driven systems.

It should be the goal of SPS keepers to have adequately low nutrients so that calcification is not inhibited. Anything beyond that is a personal choice... to improve coloration, reduce microalgae, etc.

seesick
03/29/2009, 05:24 PM
Not cool using acronyms “Ultra Low Nutrient System” from other forums it makes me feel out of the loop or just not cool
Type it out once….

DML08
03/29/2009, 05:53 PM
what is considered ULNS? I don't use anything such as zeovit, fauna marine or Neo zeo by brightwell, but nitrates are at 0 phosphates are at 0 (salifert) and all other parameters are stable.. is my system considered ULN or just LNS?

plyle02
03/29/2009, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14718883#post14718883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DML08
what is considered ULNS? I don't use anything such as zeovit, fauna marine or Neo zeo by brightwell, but nitrates are at 0 phosphates are at 0 (salifert) and all other parameters are stable.. is my system considered ULN or just LNS?

Depending on your feeding and overall husbandry approach, I guess you would be considered LNS... I would define UNLS as a system requiring supplementation to avoid coral starvation, evident in paling colors due to extremely low nutrient levels. The system allows for premium conditions, allowing the user to supplement aminos, feed more frequently and other coloring supplements, vitamins, trace elements, etc, which are typically removed from enhanced skimming due to zeolite media(rapid amonia removal media) and/or carbon source dosing. At least, that is how I have come to understand UNLS... Sounds like your system is running well, if your colors are there, I wouldn't mess with a thing...
GL

mflamb
03/29/2009, 07:45 PM
I maintain 0.02-0.03 PO4 (hanna), 0-2 NO3, 1540 Mg, 470 Ca, 9.9 dKh Alk, 8.1-8.39 pH, 1.025 salinity, 77-81 deg F temp. I feed cyclopeze and small pellets 4 times per day via auto feeder, a bunch of flakes, pellets, nori by hand once per day, and mysis/rods once per day. I skim wet, have a 42 gallon refugium, dose 5 ml per day Vodka and 5 drops of AA per day. I have 25 fish, including a large Vlamingi, med Naso, Thompsons, and Purple Tangs. My corals have great colors. The bonsai is very purple, The oregon tort is electric blue. The efflo is purple and flourescant green. Beautiful teal blue tort, electric blue milli, pink milli, green porites, red tabling acro. I think the key is stability. Get your numbers right and keep them stable without dumping a bunch of stuff in there. As soon as the vlamingi comes out. (He's going to The Pier Aquarium in St. Pete, Florida), I will slowly stop the vodka and AA.