PDA

View Full Version : help with 90g set-up

gicol
03/29/2009, 11:58 AM
Here is an image of my planned set-up for 90g mixed reef. Haven't figured out lighting yet, but would appreciate any suggestions on the plumbing design - especially need a recommendation of return pump and whether it is overkill with all the valves.

Here is what thinking:

- 90g Tech tank with (2) 1" drains and (2) 3/4" returns (bought)
- 28g custom fuge (bought)
- Euroreef 135 w/ Sedra KSP-5000 pump
- Eheim 1262 return pump
- (2) K-4 circulation pumps in DT

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/186516GC_plumbing.jpg

will16
03/29/2009, 01:05 PM
That looks good. I have a similar set up and use an eheim 1262. Been working great. Click on my red house for my build thread.

acronuts
03/29/2009, 05:02 PM
What are you planning to keep (mostly)? Any SPS? That would make a big difference of what route you decide to go.

gicol
03/29/2009, 06:26 PM
Will - Thanks for the link. I tagged along on your build - actually reread it again. Great thread. You have an amazing tank. Would appreciate any tips as I get going with my first effort.

Acronuts - I'd like to eventually have a mixed reef with both LPS and SPS, but initially will get my feet wet with softies. Make sure have a stable system and then add LPS/SPS.

will16
03/29/2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks. This is a great forum so ask away.

Be careful when mixing softies with lps/sps. Some may not get along so well.

PDAlber
03/29/2009, 09:04 PM
I just finished setting up a Tek 90, almost exactly as in your plans. I'm using a 29 gal tank with baffles as my sump/fuge with a 5 gal kalk/topoff container that fits in the cabinet (autotopoff.com with aqualifter). I have one of the drains going straight to the fuge and the other going to the skimmer section, similar to your setup, but my drains are 1 1/4". The only thing I'm having a problem with is the gurgling and high volume of air/bubbles in the drain.

If I were you, I would read up on the "Herbie Method". I'm thinking of replumbing and utilizing one of the pipes with a "T" to feed both sides of the sump and the other as my "emergency" backup. The volume through the 1 1/4" inch pipe will be more than enough flow. If you have any question, feel free to shoot me an email. Good Luck

Rjukan
03/29/2009, 09:20 PM
Hey, I really like your layout... thats a cool looking diagram. Here is my suggestion:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Rjukan07/SumpHelp2.jpg
^ Now that valve above the fuge will control the flow into your DT, the other valve will control the flow into your chiller. I dont see you needing any other valves than that.

Good luck!

Rjukan
03/30/2009, 08:01 AM
After reading this again, I would say that pump you have planned might be a bit overkill. With the plumbing the way I suggested you dont want an overkill pump because the flow through the refugium will be too strong.

But I guess the chiller will play a big part in what pump you get as well, I dont know anything about them. I dont know if you have to maintain a certain pressure through them to work right. Someone else might have some ideas.

**edit: after reading a bit I dont think Im right about the pump. It looks like you would need something right about that power. That looks like a good choice.

gicol
03/30/2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks Rjukan for the responses and ideas. I see you suggest I remove any flow from the drain directly to the fuge and have all of it go first to the skimmer section. If I understand this right that would mean the only flow to the fuge would come from diverting some flow from the return pump. I was under the impression it would be helpful to have some non-skimmed water in the fuge? Also, do you think it is helpful to have any valves on the drains as a safety measure or for maintenance?
As far as head pressure goes, it is 5’ from the bottom of the sump to the top of the DT. I have read something similar - about 400 gph should be the flow in the sump. I am planning on two K-4s in the DT for added circulation, so not expecting the pump to provide the entire turnover. I definitely want a quieter pump and one that is very dependable. Don’t mind paying a little premium for that. Heard good things about the eheim and so that is why I was planning on that one. The 1262 is rated at 900 GPH, but not sure what it would be after all the valves, bends and head loss. I know there is a calculator on RC, but wanted to get the design right first and then run the math… and would rather rely on all the folks out there that have similar set-ups.
PDAlber – I will definitely check out the Herbie method. Didn’t realize that was possible with the Tech tanks that have the built in overflows. I would like to keep the gurgling to a minimum. If I recall, that approach will also provide some peace of mind against floods.

Rjukan
03/30/2009, 11:24 AM
I have a feeling that not all of the water going into the skimmer section from the OF will be skimmed, there will be some water that makes it into the return that hasnt been skimmed which will in turn get to your fuge.

I dont know about the valves in the drain line, I would be concerned of blockage. Usually you have a stand pipe in the overflow that will be up to the water surface so when you cut the pump there wont be any water in the drain line anyway.

I see you read my post before I edited it the first time, I dont know about that 400gph number, from what i read before the 2nd edit it seems like it might be a bit higher than that. I too have heard good things about eheim, sounds like a dependable solid pump.

I need to check out that Herbie method, sounds interesting.

PDAlber
03/30/2009, 07:55 PM
I have valves on both drains. The one leading to the skimmer is completely open, while the one leading to the fuge is mostly closed (for minimal flow). If you used the Herbie method, the lower pipe could hav a "T" with valves on either side, to regulate the flow. The other drain would be the emergency backup and lead straight to the return area. I wish I had read up on Herbie's method before I installed my plumbing, as I think this setup would work better. The Dursos definitely are not silent.

gicol
03/31/2009, 09:05 PM
PDAlber – I read through Herbie’s entire thread. Sounds like a great idea and lots of folks have seen it really cuts back on noise. I’d like to try and use it on the Tech tank. I updated the diagram to include the required gate valve(s) on the primary drain and labeled the second as the emergency drain. My question is: will I have enough flow if the primary is only a 1” drains? Also, I assume I would still use the two remaining ¾” for returns? Appreciate the help as I have no plumbing experience.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/186516GC_plumbing_v2.jpg

Ryukan – thanks for the reponse and mockup to the diagram. I removed a couple of the extra valves on the return line per your suggestion, but think I will keep the extra valve to the fuge as an added measure to control flow. Probably unnecessary as you indicated, but like the flexibility it gives me.

-- GC