PDA

View Full Version : 2 days with my new Reeflux 20k's

giants4pc
03/29/2009, 01:57 PM
I bought them to replace the 12k's that I had on for about a year. I got these 20's because I have no room for actinic supplementation and was never satisfied with the look of the 12k's.

I have no idea how Reeflux justifies these as 20k's. They look whiter than the 12k's. They are bright. That is certain; however, I see no hint of blue whatsoever. They are being powered by individual coralvue electronic ballasts. The only reason I didn't go with the Radiums is because I was worried they wouldn't fire properly with my ballasts.

mrbigshot
03/29/2009, 02:01 PM
i though the reeflux 20's were more like a 15k, at least thats what i was led to believe.

AcroporAddict
03/29/2009, 02:38 PM
That is why I'm not going to buy them. I like CV products. I have 4 LB Minis and 5 CV ballasts, but if I buy a 20K bulb I buy them because I want blue in the bulb.

Why would a company sell a bulb as 20K, but renders like a 15K? Change the name to Reeflux 15K or go back to the drawing board and get some blue in the bulb.

giants4pc: you can fire any bulb on a CoralVue ballast. A friend of mine uses Radium 20Ks on 250 watt dimmable CV ballasts, I use Helios 400 watt 20K on CV dimmable ballasts.

If Helios become impossible to get, then my next choice would be Radiums.
Dave

Rouselb
03/29/2009, 05:28 PM
You can get more blue by getting the 10k reeflux and turning them down. I agree, they should not be selling that as a 20k bulb.

Reef Stallion
03/29/2009, 06:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14717702#post14717702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroporAddict
giants4pc: you can fire any bulb on a CoralVue ballast. A friend of mine uses Radium 20Ks on 250 watt dimmable CV ballasts, I use Helios 400 watt 20K on CV dimmable ballasts.

If Helios become impossible to get, then my next choice would be Radiums.
Dave
AcroporAddict, why do you prefer Helios over Radium? Is there a better consensus on growth or color with these bulbs? I would be interested in some pictures of your tank? Also, have you and your friend swapped frags? If so, do you see a difference in color and growth between the two of you? Thanks.

giants4pc
03/29/2009, 06:40 PM
I forgot to write that these are the 250 watt SE versions. Also, the ballasts are the non-dimmable, so I can't turn anything down. I know the ballasts will fire the bulbs, but I heard they won't power them to specs. Anyone else with a good quality "blue" 20k bulb?

I, too, like coralvue products. However, I don't know why these are sold as 20k's. Seriously, there is no blue to it.