PDA

View Full Version : Moon lights

DiggerDave
03/29/2009, 04:27 PM
I'm looking for moon lights for my tank. Any ideas on what to buy.

Thanks, Dave

redfishsc
03/29/2009, 04:48 PM
Pretty much any of the LED types will work, there are several manufacturers that offer them.

I'm not much of a moonlight fan, however. They most likely don't do anything beneficial for the coral or fish, are yet another item to trash up the electric cord tangle, and IMO don't look all that great.

There is also a thread in the SPS forum where people have gotten interesting results by turning off the moonlights and letting the corals just have darkness at night. They claimed to have better polyp extension and even growth. I don't know for sure that it's that big of a deal, but there isn't any proof that the "moonies" do any good either.

For a 90, Current USA makes a nice LED called, I think, the Powerbright. If I were going to rig up a 90, that's what I'd use. I would use the whites since moonlight isn't blue.... unless it's due to some freakish air pollution that I've never seen, lol.

Stanley-Reefer
03/29/2009, 04:51 PM
I have blues in one tank and the current white in the big tank. The white ones are like the real moon. PE wil be as if it's night--not so with the blue.

In each tank, they are on 2 hours after the actinics go out and are on 2 hours before the actinics come back on.

Everything needs the dark to rest up!

DiggerDave
03/29/2009, 04:54 PM
Some good advise, thanks :)

46FiatYamaha
03/29/2009, 07:45 PM
I have the current moonlights and I totally agree with the white, it looks more natural and I'm sure everything responds to it in a more natural way than basically having a low wattage actinic on all night

iamwrasseman
03/29/2009, 08:32 PM
i have found the best IMO to be the PFO 460 1 watt lunar lights .they are much brighter and they are mounted horizontily to accomplish this . there is simply no comparison at all, they are hands down the best . and yes you still can buy them all over the place online or at your LFS if they are any good.

jayk198030
03/29/2009, 09:23 PM
i use 120v 12 led mr16 bulb blue lights. they look great. and i for one c more active at night with the lunar lights.

ludnix
03/29/2009, 11:26 PM
I use 2 white lunar links on my 120g. I leave mine on 24/7. It would cost more to buy a timer for them than to the amount of electricity they use during the day.

Mine are so faint that it only allows me to walk into the room and not walk into the tank. I can't make anything out other than a few silhouettes so I still use a flashlight for any night viewing. The amount of light they put out is so little that I doubt I'd see any difference in the corals with them on or off.