PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to quiet down the return on a rr setup?

SC2000
03/29/2009, 10:27 PM
i want to quiet my tanks water return and do need some feed back on some techniques that i could use!

too much gargling.........

both tanks are oceanic rr ultimate set-ups 215, 178.

the_blue_tuna_2
03/29/2009, 10:59 PM
http://cart.dursostandpipes.com/?page_id=58

Here is a standpipe that really helped to quiet mine down.

afboundguy
03/30/2009, 05:16 AM
Are you talking about the piping from the tank to the sump of the piping from the sump to the tank? I'm guessing it's from tank to sump as I've never heard a tank that has gurgling noise from the sump to tank plumbing...

Adding a durso would help with the overflow... If you don't have room a stockman works almost as good...

crvz
03/30/2009, 10:00 AM
slowing flow can help a lot, and often times folks put too much flow through the sump to be effective in any case. what pumps do you have on these tanks?

chimmike
03/30/2009, 10:29 AM
durso on mine is QUIET!

rdlisby
03/30/2009, 03:15 PM
I put ball valves right before the lines enter my sump and then turned them a little bit until less air flowed thru them, this will require minor monitoring to make sure your pump doesn’t overpower the returns. I forgot to mention I have Durso's on top. This method has made my tank so quiet the cooling fans and skimmer pump are louder that the circulating water, works for me…