PDA

View Full Version : Rimless/ Open Top tanks, what do you use to prevent fish from jumping???

happyface888
03/30/2009, 07:16 PM
I would like to get some ideas to what others use, I have recently lost a few fish who decided to jump. six line, saddle back clown, midas blenny and fire fish.
I have already in place a piece of egg crate and it has failed me. So what do you use???

TheDogFather
03/30/2009, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14726750#post14726750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyface888
I would like to get some ideas to what others use, I have recently lost a few fish who decided to jump. six line, saddle back clown, midas blenny and fire fish.
I have already in place a piece of egg crate and it has failed me. So what do you use???

Is that's a rhetorical question? :D Any open top tank (mine included) is virtually impossible to secure against jumpers without defeating the intent, and look, of a rimless, open top tank....

Wrasses in particular are notorious jumpers and should be kept in fully covered (i.e. not rimless, open) tanks only.

IMO, choosing a specific type of tank should always determine what type of live stock to keep, not the other way around.

Cheers!

-TDF

AcroporAddict
03/30/2009, 08:09 PM
Either sit and enjoy the beauty of your rimless tank and lose fish once in a while to jumping, or make a mesh screen.

Here's link to a thread in the Elos forum I posted in regarding making mesh covers for my 210 tank with top trim, and my 100 gallon rimless tank. PM if you have any questions.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1601190

Dave

chetrod
03/30/2009, 09:32 PM
I would get a nice clear piece of acrylic and cut to fit the top of your tank and round off the edges. To attach it I would use some round acrylic tubing to make feet to sit on each corner and drill small indent in the tank if its acrylic. If it's class then you would have to figure something else out to fasten it. This way the water still flows and breaths, light will flow through, it can be removed for maintenance. Just a thought I don't have one myself but that is what I would do to resolve the issue with out taking away from the look of the tank.

96p993
03/30/2009, 10:57 PM
The best way to prevent this is to NOT buy known jumpers....

Eel-byte
03/31/2009, 02:18 AM
Mine was kind of gehto, I used egg-crate around the top.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/eel-byte/resize.jpg

AcroporAddict
03/31/2009, 02:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14727937#post14727937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chetrod
I would get a nice clear piece of acrylic and cut to fit the top of your tank and round off the edges. To attach it I would use some round acrylic tubing to make feet to sit on each corner and drill small indent in the tank if its acrylic. If it's class then you would have to figure something else out to fasten it. This way the water still flows and breaths, light will flow through, it can be removed for maintenance. Just a thought I don't have one myself but that is what I would do to resolve the issue with out taking away from the look of the tank.

Unless it is very thick, most acrylic used this way will warp.

AcroporAddict
03/31/2009, 02:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14728472#post14728472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 96p993
The best way to prevent this is to NOT buy known jumpers....

That'd be way too easy.