PDA

View Full Version : angelfish in a reef,what do you have

mikid
03/30/2009, 10:53 PM
im slowly adding fish and was wondering what kinds of angelfish are in your sps tanks,mike.............................

seaguy7
03/31/2009, 12:55 AM
I had a beautiful Potters Angel but soon after he arrived, the daytime polyp extension went away on all my SPS. It took me a few weeks to catch him but it turned out he would go after the polyps right aftr the light came on. I never saw any damage but I decided he would have to go. I think if you have a ton of SPS, then it won't be a factor even if the one you get is a nipper. Some peopel have great luck and report no problems.

I now have a Lamarcks Angel. Not the most colorful angel but a very peacefull oner when it comes to the other fish. They are considered totally reef safe and he hasn't shown the slightest interest in the corals.

-Greg

CHUBAKAH
03/31/2009, 04:00 AM
It's a roll of the dice. Personally, I've had zero luck with Angels. Me thinks my SPS taste good.

60Cubed
03/31/2009, 04:05 AM
Hmmm...........

$80.00 angelfish

$4,000.00 coral livestock mainly SPS

Watching the angelfish rip polyps out of your favorite acro.........PRICELESS!!

NEVER in my tank........NEVER!!

macreefster
03/31/2009, 04:06 AM
i've tried many centropyge angels (flame, multi-color, resplendens, acanthops, pygmy and potters) and they all eventually ended up picking at corals. i am having great luck with genicanthus larmarcks and wantannabe.... they get along just fine and don't mess with any of my corals or clams.

mikid
03/31/2009, 01:15 PM
thats what i was thinking about,found a mated pair of lamarks,female looks like you see,but the male has yellow marking and more blue neon on his fins,i think ill go that ,thanks for the input,mike....................

reefrick.M
03/31/2009, 01:22 PM
I had to take my tank down to get a supposed to be reef safe Lamarck Angel. Munched on my Acans and SPS. Lost all my polyp extension. I will never put any kind of Angel in my tank. Trust me it isn't worth taking a chance.

deklin
03/31/2009, 01:31 PM
A genicanthus is the only species of angel that I would add to my SPS tank. If you want a male genicanthus, you should get a male/female pair. In the abscence of a female, a male will usually turn female.

deklin
03/31/2009, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14731673#post14731673 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefrick.M
I had to take my tank down to get a supposed to be reef safe Lamarck Angel. Munched on my Acans and SPS. Lost all my polyp extension. I will never put any kind of Angel in my tank. Trust me it isn't worth taking a chance.

Wow, good to know. Everything I had read said lamarks, wantanabi and bellus ate exclusively from the water column and were not suited to pick at live rock. I guess fish don't always behave the way they are supposed too :rollface:

I had to trap a coral beauty that I added early on before I new better and that was a major PITA.

myzislow
03/31/2009, 02:00 PM
I have an African flameback pygmy and he has been a model reef citizen besides a little Acan nipping at first. I've has him for 2 years + and he's never had any fascination with my SPS. Hopefully it stays that way:D

sixtygallon212
03/31/2009, 02:52 PM
I have had flame angels and many other Centropyge sp., all of them ended up chewing on something. Potters ate capricornus, flame nipped at encrusting montipora, and a golden angel liked to eat everything. I know that they are more likely to nip at corals when feed less often but I feed twice a day and they all where getting their share of food. The only angels I have had good luck with not eating my corals are lemark's and wantanabe angels. I am sure bellus angel are fine too and if you feed them anough they seem to leave the corals alone. Be sure to acclimate the wantanabe to bright light though sence they are found lower on the reef.

Goodwood
03/31/2009, 03:26 PM
Red Sea Regal

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/Goodwoods/DSC00576_1.jpg

Pic is a few years old. Great fish if you can find a healthy one.

Goodwood
03/31/2009, 03:35 PM
Also, I never had any long-term success with Centropyge angels.

I have tried about a dozen or so and .........nippity... nip... nip

chessmanmark
03/31/2009, 05:18 PM
I have a Flame Angel in my tank. My PBT nips at corals much more than the angel does. I have a lot of SPS up high where it receives high flow which has kept the angel off that area, but anything down low is fair game.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/th_IMG_4727.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/chessmanmark/?action=view&current=IMG_4727.jpg)

Dejavu
03/31/2009, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of Flame's and an Emperor. they do nip a little bit but not that bad. A little less PE, that all.

d69211
03/31/2009, 05:55 PM
I have a Flame angel and a Lemonpeel Pygmy Angel(I thogut It was a Lemonpeel Mimic Tang= =") in my 180.
i am having great luck with both angels.They get along just fine and don't mess with any of my SPS /LPS corals or clams.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733296#post14733296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dejavu
they do nip a little bit but not that bad. A little less PE, that all.

This has been my experience as well with my joculator.

redhanded77
03/31/2009, 06:24 PM
i recently had a pygmy angel in my 50g tank. he seemed to ignore the corals, but i noticed all of my sps, showed very little polyp extension which started to happen as soon as the angel was introduced. i decided to take him out before i went on a trip to see if the sps polyp extension would improve. when i got back 5 days later, ALL sps had polyp extension.

dieselgrk
03/31/2009, 07:12 PM
a pair of bellus angel; no problem here. side note: all fish are VERY well fed!

BangkokMatt
03/31/2009, 08:11 PM
I keep a Goldflake, Regal and Genicanthus (black spot) without issues. I am not saying try it yourself. I took a risk which, so far, has worked. It could all change though.

roktsintst
03/31/2009, 08:30 PM
I also have a Goldflake Angel as well as a Regal Angel in my sps reef with no problems at all. I still have really good polyp extention!!!

Again, Like Matt, i took a risk and it has worked for me so far!

mikid
03/31/2009, 11:51 PM
im taking the plunge,ill pick up the lamark angelfish pair tomorrow,they have had them for 1 month,looking healthly and the male is not shy anymore,well he will be in my tank,hopefully not for long.....................:D :rollface: :cool:

mikid
04/01/2009, 09:58 PM
well thier in the tank,eating already,maels a little shy,but thats to be expected,will ahve to watch,most of my sps are small to med frags/colonies,chalice on bottom,zoas on bottom,they eat pe mysis already and appear to left alone from the other tanks residents:rollface:

sps1-2-b
04/01/2009, 10:03 PM
I have a male and female wantanabei angels and a female bellus angel in my sps tank. No nipping at all. I also have zoos and chalices and no prob.

Cadu
04/01/2009, 10:41 PM
i have a multicolor on my tank and have had lucky with him so far... never saw him picking on any corals and all my SPS have good PE

rhoptowit
04/02/2009, 01:02 AM
i have a potters and bellus in my tank. they have not picked at anything so far and ive had the potters for over a year now and the bellus for about 3 months.

reefkoi
04/02/2009, 07:09 AM
I must be the odd one out, I have a Pomacanthus maculosus, it never bothers the SPS that I can see.........

Mine is a tank raised fish from taiwan, maybe the wild caught versions are different? Who knows.

pancho
04/02/2009, 07:47 AM
Bellus
Coral Beauty
Flame Angel

crispyreef
04/02/2009, 01:29 PM
My Regal and Argi have both behaved very well for me. My tank is mostly sps with zoos and a couple lps and softies.

RichConley
04/02/2009, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733111#post14733111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chessmanmark
I have a Flame Angel in my tank. My PBT nips at corals much more than the angel does.

I've had similar experiences. IME, Tangs are much worse nippers than Centropyge angles.

Anything that grazes can be prone to coral nipping: Tangs, angels, blennies, rabbitfish, etc.

t4zalews
04/04/2009, 08:02 AM
My flame angel doesn't nip at anything, I have sps, lps and clams, does not have any interest in them. My purple tang is the only one i've seen nip at a clam mantle, but it's only a little nip

stephj03
04/04/2009, 10:53 AM
I have a pair of coral beauties. Use to have a lamarck's. No nipping observed. I really want to try an imperator but don't think I could catch it in my tank if it became an issue.

mikid
04/04/2009, 12:18 PM
lamarks in tank now for 4 days,not shy and eating very well,they behave good at this point,i would really like it if they breed in the tank,well just have to see.........:rollface:

slate55
04/04/2009, 03:49 PM
had a flam
e for a while, never seen him nip however polyp extention doubled when he was removed.......sneaky lil ..:mad2:

BangkokMatt
04/05/2009, 06:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14759709#post14759709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mikid
lamarks in tank now for 4 days,not shy and eating very well,they behave good at this point,i would really like it if they breed in the tank,well just have to see.........:rollface:
They may show spawning behaviour but there is little to no chance of them actually spawning I'm afraid.

LobsterOfJustice
04/05/2009, 09:51 AM
I had a majestic, didn't destroy anything but I had zero polyp extension on acros during the day, even millepora. Sold him after a few years just because I didn't like that any time anything was less than perfect, I had that suspicion in the back of my head.

cnaegler
04/05/2009, 10:30 AM
My queen angels been....well an angel in my tank. But she is also well fed. Sometimes she nips at new SPS but not at the polyps, usually just the rock or frag plug they come on.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll6/cnaegler/familypictures432.jpg

Toddrtrex
04/05/2009, 11:40 AM
I had a pair of Potter's, never touched any SPS ((past tense because I lost them while I was in the hospital unexpectedly ))

Flame angel, 3 years now, no nipping that I have seen.