PDA

View Full Version : Just a few tips and tricks for those new to SPS and reefing....

Pages : [1] 2

SunnyX
03/31/2009, 07:32 AM
These are just a few things off the top of my head to aid new reefers. If you experienced reefers out there have anything to add PLEASE do so. :D

I expect some good tips out of some of you. You know who you are! ;)

1. Place a powerhead in sump. The powerhead will help keep detritus waste in suspension making it easier for skimmer and corals to take up. You should also make it a habit to stir up any detritus that has settled in sump at least once a week. People often neglect this simple chore and it creates problems down the road as the waste builds up. I have a Tunze 6045 in my sump and it keeps all waste and particles in suspension.

2. Keep your lighting systems as clean as possible. You should make it a habit to clean your reflectors, bulbs, etc at least once a month. Even a little salt spray can reduce lighting but up to 30%!

3. Carbon. I highly recommended that everyone run carbon, either in a mesh bag in the sump or in a Phosban reactor. If you run it in a mesh bag replace it once a month, in a reactor replace it every 2-4 weeks. Carbon is the simplest and easiest way to maintain a healthy and thriving reef system. Without carbon, Compounds such as yellow phenol can build up. Yellow Phenol is great at absorbing light, thus reducing the amount of PAR reaching your corals. Carbon is also good at removing compounds released by corals. Corals can and will release compounds to fend off other corals in the tank, the carbon will help keep all stress and damage to a minimum. Carbon is also a good insurance policy as it will absorb any harmful chemicals and contaminants that can enter the tank, such as aerosol air fresheners.

4. Create a routine and stick with it. Once a month you should clean out any detritus in the sump, clean ALL powerheads, pumps, probes, and inspect all equipment for defects. A dirty power head has been found to reduce performance, in some cases up to 40%+.

5. Account for everything that you put into the system. Chemicals and compounds build up over time and need to be accounted for. You must find a proper method to export the food and chemicals that are put into the system. Water changes work well and are probably the simplest method of halting the build up of harmful compounds. A refugium is also a good idea and it will aborb and process nutrient and may give off compounds that are benifical to some corals. Bacterial driven systems such as Zeovit, Prodibio, and Fauna Marin are also good methods for keep parameters in line. Personally, I do daily additions of bacteria and a carbon source(Vodka). I have found a bacterial driven system along with a large skimmer to be the most efficient and cost effective means of keeping nutrients in line.

6. Get the biggest skimmer you can accommodate. I believe that a protein skimmer is one of the most important parts of a healthy reef system. The skimmer I have on my system is rated for 3-4 times more then my system volume. With a larger simmer you can keep a higher bio load and effectively keep the nutrients down. The skimmer will help add oxygen to your system and is a good insurance policy against unforeseen events in the system.

7. Plan ahead when purchasing and placing corals in your system. All to often, people pack more corals into their tanks then they can support. In the beginning this fine but corals soon grow and problems arise. Corals can chemically detect the presence of surrounding corals, and if corals are too close this will stunt their growth. I found the best success with giving corals ample space to grow stress free. when considering what corals to put in your tank, take the time to look up what they will look like as they mature. Do you really want a monster montipora cap. taking over your reef? This brings me to coral placement. By knowing what a coral will look like when it matures you can place it accordingly. obviously you would not want a Montipora cap. placed high up in the tank, as this will only lead to corals beneath it to eventually die due to lack of light from the shade.

mixer911
03/31/2009, 09:15 AM
Great Thread sonny.... I am tagging along

slow_leak
03/31/2009, 09:46 AM
What is your opinion of filter socks in the sump? I like your idea of sump powerhead.

acrodave
03/31/2009, 10:01 AM
1. Place a powerhead in sump. The powerhead will help keep detritus waste in suspension making it easier for skimmer and corals to take up. You should also make it a habit to stir up any detritus that has settled in sump at least once a week. People often neglect this simple chore and it creates problems down the road as the waste builds up. I have a Tunze 6045 in my sump and it keeps all waste and particles in suspension.

I like this idea.. But may I add if you do this you will have to keep you sump toped off..A ato will help this

SunnyX
03/31/2009, 10:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14730403#post14730403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by slow_leak
What is your opinion of filter socks in the sump? I like your idea of sump powerhead.

While I have used them in the past to fight micro bubbles I currently do not. I see no benefit is using them . I think that they would do more harm to my system then good by removing the free floating particles and detritus that my corals eat.

The problem with filter socks is they require ALOT of maintenance. You need to change them out every day or two or they will become nitrate sinks and cause issues in your tank.

For those that need them for micro bubble control I suggest they go with a small return pump the next time they build a system.

Fsurocks99
03/31/2009, 10:59 AM
Great info Sunny, would you recommend all these tips for a nano reef also? I'm talking under 14gal.

macreefster
03/31/2009, 11:06 AM
great thread sonny. i added a powerhead to my sump based on your suggestion in another thread a couple of weeks ago and what a differance it makes. keeping light fixtures clean is so important, i actually coat the glass of my fixture with some salt water after changing to new bulbs to reduce the light. #7 is my downfall as i like a full look right away, but i'm also not shy about removing corals as necessary.

i would also suggest to newbies to explore all options whether it be lighting, ca/alk/mg supplemention, nutrient control, water circulation or whatever. i know i wish i had looked into t-5's more when i purchased my lighting system and probably would have gone with a modified two part system over ca/kalk reactors. i was told hqi's and ca reactors were the way to go by my lfs and i didnt even think to explore other options.

lastly...i never thought i'd be putting vodka of all things into my reef!!!

slow_leak
03/31/2009, 11:24 AM
This is more of an opinion but I like 2 parts systems better than calcium reactors. I ran calcium reactor from day 1 however. Once two parts are dialed with an accurate doser you can see how your corals are growing. Every two weeks I measure water and then bump up dosing time. Drew's Doser are very accurate with AC jr. I could always measure phosphates in calcium reactor with a Hanna meter.

I'll take up your power head idea too with an old Tunze sitting around

mef_rn98
03/31/2009, 01:17 PM
I really like the idea of a powerhead in the sump...going to have to give that a try when I get home tonight!

elijaher
03/31/2009, 01:44 PM
One more thing is important also power back up. Extra parts like motor, light bulb, etc.

JasonD
03/31/2009, 02:02 PM
Excellent advice will look at putting powerhead in sump. Also the thing I learned hard way. Always dip your corals with good dip like Revive. Will almost guarantee you'll get red bugs if you don't.

Jason

eggiel
03/31/2009, 02:03 PM
Sunny if you dont use filter socks what do you use

volcom69
03/31/2009, 03:08 PM
Are you guys skimming wet or dry.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 04:57 PM
I skim Wet

SunnyX
03/31/2009, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14731976#post14731976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Sunny if you dont use filter socks what do you use

I dont use anything other then my skimmer to filter my water. I have an Ehiem 1260 for a return pump and it does a great job and does not produce any micro bubbles.

achillesheel
03/31/2009, 05:03 PM
what do you use to keep your acrylic on your constellation clean? mine is a pain in the booty to keep streaks off.

SunnyX
03/31/2009, 05:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14732374#post14732374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by volcom69
Are you guys skimming wet or dry.

I skim wet. My skimmer cup gets full after 3-4 days with a chunky tea colored waste water. Mmmmmmmm:frog: :frog:

I skim wet to offset the additional salt my two part is adding into the system.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 06:32 PM
Sunny could you post a pic of you sump how it looks now with no filter sock
I like to see how the water comes down from the tank

Dejavu
03/31/2009, 06:42 PM
Dip all new corals, QT all new fish and QT all new corals!

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 06:49 PM
I think another item that is highly overlooked when keeping a SPS tank is back up power; ie battery back up, UPS or generator.

Corals can live without light, but they can not live without oxygen ;)

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 06:52 PM
Filter socks play there roles when properly switched out on a regular basis.

Please remember everyone, these are tips and tricks that people have found successful. What works for one might not for for anothers system.

gasman059
03/31/2009, 06:52 PM
backup power 4 sure.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 06:56 PM
The power head trick works for some, I also not some people that have their sumps so dialed in that they can just syphon their baffles once a week and the excess detritus is easily removed instead of being refeed to the tank through the return pump. I wish I had it that way.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 06:58 PM
Another great tip that is overlooked is to always have 15%-20% premade saltwater on hand at all times. Every tank goes through its ups and downs, it is many times how the reefkeeper responds when they are tired and frustrated if the tank will respond with minimum trauma.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 07:03 PM
Feeding
whats better for feeding fish in ULN tanks

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 07:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733838#post14733838 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Feeding
whats better for feeding fish in ULN tanks

This all depends on the rate that your system can export nutrients after feeding and based on your fish load. I feed meaty foods twice a day, some sore of coral sized food once a day and either some nori or flakes once a day.

chingchai
03/31/2009, 07:13 PM
Great thread. Very useful info.!

One thing to add, I strongly recommend weekly water change.

volcom69
03/31/2009, 07:19 PM
Yea i think weekly water changes are good also i started doing weekly ones and found better success. Mark are you mixing your coral food in with your meaty foods and dispensing all at once, i have been doing this to see what happens. I feed right before or right after my lights go out. Im also skimming pretty wet i have to empty mine about every 2 days, its not super dark but for skimming wet its pretty dark and smells.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 07:21 PM
There are many benefits for routine water changes. I do know of plenty of successful reefkeeper that also go months between. No matter what you do, syphon the water and detritus from the sump and not the display. This may seem basic to some, but there are many different levels of SPS enthusists.

Dejavu
03/31/2009, 07:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733806#post14733806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
Another great tip that is overlooked is to always have 15%-20% premade saltwater on hand at all times. Every tank goes through its ups and downs, it is many times how the reefkeeper responds when they are tired and frustrated if the tank will respond with minimum trauma.

This is one that has come in handy for me too. You can never have enough premade water on hand.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 07:46 PM
Volcom- I do premix all of my frozen goodies as this allows me to soak and rinse more of the excess wastes from the frozen foods. I just refreeze them in ziplocks and I am good for another 6-8 weeks.

dustinP
03/31/2009, 07:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733986#post14733986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
There are many benefits for routine water changes. I do know of plenty of successful reefkeeper that also go months between. No matter what you do, syphon the water and detritus from the sump and not the display. This may seem basic to some, but there are many different levels of SPS enthusists.
why do you say to take it out of the sump and not the tank

SunnyX
03/31/2009, 07:58 PM
Lots of good stuff! Keep it coming guys!

Dejavu
03/31/2009, 08:04 PM
Another useful trick is screening your tank when changing out old bulbs for new. This will help prevent bleaching with the increased PAR of the new bulbs. This is important in keeping all corals but SPS are more sensitive to this.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 08:13 PM
Pooring new mix water directly to tank or to sump
I do it to the tank directly is this wrong or is it good

volcom69
03/31/2009, 08:15 PM
Nice Mark i do the same thing with the food. I also do water changes out of the sump, and i have never done it out of the display tank. I usually clean the algea off the glass, and blow the rocks during my water change, and ill let that sit for alittle bit, with my skimmer on and my filter pad in there. Then i clean the sump, and take the water right out of the sump. I find it easier this way. I do this once a week.

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14734269#post14734269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dustinP
why do you say to take it out of the sump and not the tank

Why not take that chance to syphon the detritus out of the sump at the same time. Besides, in some tanks when you start removing water from your display, your acros are out of the water; like I said, in some tanks ;)

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 08:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14734433#post14734433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Pooring new mix water directly to tank or to sump
I do it to the tank directly is this wrong or is it good

Its not "wrong". I guess I have come to appreciate a clean sump area and that extra step allows me to keep that area clean; thus less chance of anything "extra" to end up where it is not.

Please remember, these are tricks and tips. If you are having success, stick with what you are doing. If there is anything you can add to your skills, then implement those. The key is not to do something because someone else does, but because it helps you along the way.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry Mark you got me wrong it was a question that i was asking
Is it better to poor the new mix water to the tank directly
or to the sump?
I do 50/50 sump and tank so they get the elements directly plus a clean sump

dustinP
03/31/2009, 08:41 PM
i drain all my water from the tank because i cant get a gravity feed from the sump and then put all water into the sump

fishypets
03/31/2009, 08:41 PM
Sunny,

Great thread idea, I'm glad you thought of it. You mention you supplement two part. Is this done via dosser or el manual labor?

Mark what do you recommend about detritus build up on the sand bed? I have tank that is currently dominated with sps frags and it seems I'm always getting a thin build up of detritus on the sand bed. I do feed a ton (about 8 cubes a day) so that may be playing a part.

I am a big fan of sucking the water from the sump. I even use a shop vac and then soak up what's left with a sponge. I'm always amazed at what's in the bottom of the water change bucket afterward. YUCK!

abaran
03/31/2009, 08:51 PM
Long over-do thread. Lots of great ideas. Some help me out. How do you guys siphon the water out of your sump? I know it's a stupid question but I need an answer.
Thanks in advance,
Andre

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 08:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14734683#post14734683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishypets

Mark what do you recommend about detritus build up on the sand bed? I have tank that is currently dominated with sps frags and it seems I'm always getting a thin build up of detritus on the sand bed. I do feed a ton (about 8 cubes a day) so that may be playing a part.

I am a big fan of sucking the water from the sump. I even use a shop vac and then soak up what's left with a sponge. I'm always amazed at what's in the bottom of the water change bucket afterward. YUCK!

I vacumm my sand bed once every 8-10 weeks or at least I take a baster and break up the detritus and get it back into the water column. I use heavier reactor media mixed in my sand that allows me also to point my tunzes down to stir things up.

I've been known to bust out the shop vac before ;)

mpoletti
03/31/2009, 08:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14734765#post14734765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by abaran
Long over-do thread. Lots of great ideas. Some help me out. How do you guys siphon the water out of your sump? I know it's a stupid question but I need an answer.
Thanks in advance,
Andre

It all depends on your situation. My living room is on a raised foundation so it allows gravity to be my friend. I also know people that use the same pump to pump the water into the tank, pump the water out of the tank. And like it was said before, there is always a shop vac for the left overs.

eggiel
03/31/2009, 09:17 PM
Things that work for Me
-T5 Lighting 10 hrs
-Temp 80
-Clean the sump and water changes every week
- I clean everything I feed the fishes with RO water
- In Water changes check TDS every time
- The day after a water change check some parameters just in case
- Clean Power heads,overflow, weekly
- Clean the glass twice a week
- Have a good water movement
- Feed once a day
- Dose in the morning with lights off
- Dip every coral I get with Revive
- Change filter sock every 3 days
- visual inspection on every coral

Basicly I take more care of my tank then my self jajajajaj

-

shelburn61
03/31/2009, 09:55 PM
- Great skimmer
- consistent alkalinity
- MORE water movement than you think you need
- failsafes to avoid temperature spikes
(fans, temp controllers for heaters, auto light shutoffs )

DFason
04/01/2009, 08:36 AM
This is some great stuff!

Thanks for posting guys. This morning I did a water change and took the water from the sump. I plan on getting a tunze in my sump!

Thanks Sonny!

-Dave

SunnyX
04/01/2009, 09:28 AM
Oh wow, you guys just keep coming up with the good stuff! I'm gonna compile all the info together into one post as soon as we get enough ideas and suggestions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14734683#post14734683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wreathypets
Sunny,

Great thread idea, I'm glad you thought of it. You mention you supplement two part. Is this done via dosser or el manual labor?

I use Randy's Two Part (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php) and dose it manually daily. This has worked much better for me then a CA reactor and Kalk Stirrer. :thumbsup:

ShareReef
04/01/2009, 09:32 AM
Good Information! I think I'll try some of these ideas in place of what I'm doing. Just to see if I get better results.

slow_leak
04/01/2009, 09:38 AM
I've found that less is more with rock layout. I need to be able to maintain move water and siphon from anywhere for long term success. I never put rock against glass or back wall.

snapperface
04/01/2009, 12:28 PM
whats a Christmas Tree stand ?

goslugsgo
04/01/2009, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14739361#post14739361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snapperface

Generally, an apparatus used to hold a tree upright. Specifically, an April Fools joke programmed by your friendly RC mods.

eggiel
04/01/2009, 02:02 PM
- Carbon in filter bags clean daily so it filters better
- Have good ventilation

mpoletti
04/01/2009, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14739361#post14739361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snapperface

Today, April 1st's translation is "sump" :)

Rodrigo_BG
04/01/2009, 02:32 PM
how often do you guys change your T5 bulbs?

Jay Fortay
04/01/2009, 03:30 PM
sump

Jay Fortay
04/01/2009, 03:32 PM
sump pod copepod

Dejavu
04/01/2009, 04:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14740232#post14740232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rodrigo_BG
how often do you guys change your T5 bulbs?

It depends on if the ballast is over driving them ie icecap or not.The norm seemsto be a 8 months to 1 year.

P.Kelly
04/02/2009, 01:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733777#post14733777 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti
The power head trick works for some, I also not some people that have their sumps so dialed in that they can just syphon their baffles once a week and the excess detritus is easily removed instead of being refeed to the tank through the return pump. I wish I had it that way.

I wish I could say that excellent planning lead to this on my sump, but perhaps just dumb luck played a role. Either way, this is what I do. I siphon about 3 gallons of water every week out of the drain section and baffle section and catch all of the detritus that has gathered.

J.R.L.
04/02/2009, 06:10 PM
i have 4 powerheads in my sump, one in the skimmer compartment, 2 in the fuge, and one in the return section and i get 0 detritus build up

panic
04/02/2009, 07:23 PM
Overplan your reef, take your time building it, spend the extra time and money on finding the right equipment because you will eventually redo it with the right equipment

UNIONS with ball valves - on every pump. Will save you a mess when it is time to remove it

Use a John Guest valve on your pumps with drains to save you a mess when changing them

Rock. Plan for flow under and behind your rock, use a little because it will grow when you add corals, use enough for your fish to hide.

Make one change at a time in your system so you can account for positives and negatives.

Keep a journal by your reef to ducument dates for changes of lighting, names of corals (and origin, lineage), addition of equipment

Keep your method for at least a year. Don't jump on the bandwagon of the month. Watch it, see what happens when others do it, be patient. Only bad happens fast.

Don't underestimate the importance of stability in your RO/DI, brand of salt, PH probes, and meters.

Don't put any chemical in your reef that you cannot test

P.Kelly
04/02/2009, 07:46 PM
Panic, I love it.

Only BAD things happen fast in reefing!

slow_leak
04/02/2009, 07:58 PM
I agree on buying right equipment the first time.

I opt for equipment with replaceable domestic parts. I also am not a fan of external pumps unless tanks size demands it. Eheim pumps in the sump are the only way to go for me.

House jacks are important too. I go with all four corners on modern construction.

nchin3
04/02/2009, 11:23 PM
I say go big or go home. Get the best equipment you can afford otherwise you may spend a lot of your time regretting it and end up making necessary purchases.

schminksbro
04/03/2009, 01:50 PM
To elaborate on #4...I take out every pump in my system and run in pure vinegar for 1/2 hour once a month. I then disassemble the pump and use a toothbrush to clean anything that is left. The high calcium environment of an SPS system can be hard on equipment. This measure will save you money and equipment failure.

When testing tank parameters take your time and be accurate. If something seems off re-test. If the result doesn't seem to make sense verify with another test kit before making changes. A bad test kit can cause a big problem where there was no problem to start with. Purchase quality kits and test regularly. Document results.

One of the things I am guilty of is putting my hands in the tank too often. I have been told by some very successful reefers to "Keep your hands out of the tank". I now try to keep hands in the tank to a minimum.

I am also a fan of acrylic frag racks. Eggcrate just seems to grow algae probably due to leaching of phosphates.

If a fish is questionable....DON'T put it in your tank. Fish such as pygmy angels, and clown gobies can wreek havoc in an sps tank. Once it's in it can be very diffacult to get it out.

If your married never tell your wife that this next piece of equipment or coral will complete your system. It won't. You will be a liar. lol

Keep frag plugs handy at all times. An "oops" frag of 1/4" long can become a full colony. Simply glue it too a plug and forget about it. Pretty soon those "oops" frags will be paying for a bucket of salt, piece of equipment, ect... No piece is too small to save.

When finishing your maintnance take a minute to inspect all plugs. An unplugged ATO for example can lead to disaster. Labling plugs can help make things easier as well. DRIP LOOPS, DRIP LOOPS, DRIP LOOPS... This should be the first thing a rookie learns but I think it's worth mentioning. Also make sure the plugs you are plugging your system into are high quality plugs rated for greater than the current that you plan to put though them. Not all wall plugs are the same. A loose fitting plug can burn your house down.

JustinReef
04/03/2009, 03:15 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned but cleaning your skimmer at least weekly is very important IMO. Mostly because they get quite inefficient as they build up waste in the neck and secondly, parts of the neck or body that accumulate waste and are in contact with the water are probably not good for water quality as the waste is still technically in the tank.

I clean mine twice a week (sometimes three times) when I dump the collection cup.

tfp
04/03/2009, 06:05 PM
don't work on your reef or put your hands in the tank...
* past 9pm
* if you are tired
* have to leave within an hour
* are wearing nice clothes :)

roktsintst
04/03/2009, 06:40 PM
hahaha..... Well Said Tim!

ReefEnabler
04/03/2009, 06:44 PM
most days I dont even start work on the tank until 11 or midnight :D

another alternative to keeping detritus out of the sump is a manifold off the return line, if you have the flow to spare.

I have a bleed off valve in one half of my sump but it still collects detritus in the baffles which I remove every couple weeks. I've considered putting another bleed off valve in there :)

BrassMonkey
04/03/2009, 06:47 PM
umm ya, i avoid water movement in the sump. it give a place for the detritus to drop out of the water. i then vacuum it out on maintenance day.

my skimmer doesnt pull out detritus. it has to go somewhere.

ReefEnabler
04/03/2009, 06:49 PM
my skimmer will pull out entire mysis shrimp if it gets the chance :D

dots
04/03/2009, 09:28 PM
Always be sure to have at least $100 bill in your pocket when entering the LFS, and it gone upon leaving.......especially when restocking food/salt/supplements all at the same time.

Dejavu
04/04/2009, 12:49 AM
Newbie or experienced reef, sometime we overlook and overanalyzing things and forget the basics. I too am guilty of this. Overall stability is still the key and if you are going to make a change make sure it's not to juristic.

60Cubed
04/04/2009, 03:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14733806#post14733806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mpoletti

I always keep the last 5g of WC water on hand "just in case" you never know when ur gonna need a little water. Also this is cycled and not new. So the stress on the system is less.

250G
04/04/2009, 05:12 AM
Excellent thread.

macreefster
04/04/2009, 05:33 AM
great thread indeed.... wish i had read it BEFORE i implemented much of my system. now i want to re-do my lighting, plumbing and sump! sounds like a good reason to go to a larger tank while doing so..... lol.

eggiel
04/04/2009, 05:55 AM
This is a good question on the hands in the tank

How many times in a week is too much to put your hands in the tank ?

Cause I like to maintain the front glass clean even do i use a magnet
but some times a change mi new frags to difrent places or if i see a crab in my SPS i take them out

And I do water changes every week clean all glass cause its an in wall tank

How much is to much?

SunnyX
04/04/2009, 06:03 AM
I wanted to add another thing that I do:

Since I run a bacteria driven system I cannot use a phosphate remover in my system. The bacteria need to be properly fed and I don't want anything to compete or hinder the bacterial growth.

So, what I do to prevent any PO4 from getting into the tank is I run a Phosban reactor with ROWAphos in my water holding container. I run the ROWAphos for three days on any new saltwater that will be used for a water change.

This way I can put less stress on my system and prevent any excess PO4 from getting into it.

One other thing I feel that needs to be adressed is proper feeding protocol:
From what I have seen and read, people overfeed their tanks. I feed my fish every other day. My fish are fat and happy, and I have never had any issues even with the Anthais I have. If you do not keep up with a means of waste export, such as PO$ remover, Bacteria/carbon dosing, or water changes you stand the risk of having reduced corals health and an algae outbreak.

Now, how much you feed your fish is just as important as how often. Some people feed their fish five times a day and their systems look great. I suspect that they are feeding very small amounts of food, or that they are diligent about exporting waste. Unfortunately, not all reefers are as diligent and they quickly end up having issue related to elevated waste.

For those who just cant get corals to grow or color up to the desired level I suggest that you rethink what,how, and when you are feeding.

eggiel
04/04/2009, 06:22 AM
I like to feed once a day and every other day and rinse the food as i use frozen brine shrimp and frozen formula

what other food is good for feeding and wont put excess amount of waste in ULN tanks

SunnyX
04/04/2009, 06:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758226#post14758226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
I like to feed once a day and every other day and rinse the food as i use frozen brine shrimp and frozen formula

what other food is good for feeding and wont put excess amount of waste in ULN tanks

I feed only Formula One Flake food and Spectrum pellets to my fish. I have found these to be very nutritious and the fish love them.

eggiel
04/04/2009, 07:05 AM
Dont they put waste to tanks
I like to learn more of feeding ULN systems anybody else

macreefster
04/04/2009, 07:21 AM
i feed often, about 5 times a day, but in very little amounts. the food is consumed in about thirty seconds. it probably still adds up to about 4 frozen cube sized portions a day. maybe i should cut back some? i thought one of the advantages of vodka dosing was to be able to feed the fish more. my nitrates are constant at about 2ppm and i cant get a phosphate reading on my elos test kit. i don't have any nuisance algae either so i would assume my nutrients are quite low. oh yeah, i lost a good sized blue tube sponge colony since dosing the vodka so i've started feeding the tank rotifeast so as not to starve out the remaining blue tube sponge and the coco worm.

maybe after easter weekend we can get together sonny as i'd love to not only see your system in person, but have you review my system.

hansonfam
04/04/2009, 12:37 PM
I am planning on using a skimmer bigger than i need.
I have a 75 gallon sps tank would a reeflo 200 be to big?
I can get a used one cheap.

Thanks

SunnyX
04/04/2009, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14759792#post14759792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansonfam

Thanks

In my opinion, the bigger the better. I have a Deltec Ap851 on my tank even though it is rated 3-4 times my tanks volume. It does a great job and keeps my tank sparkling clean.

volcom69
04/04/2009, 02:41 PM
Are you feeding some kind of coral food at as your feeding the fish.

cwegescheide
04/04/2009, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758187#post14758187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
[B]I wanted to add another thing that I do:

Since I run a bacteria driven system I cannot use a phosphate remover in my system. The bacteria need to be properly fed and I don't want anything to compete or hinder the bacterial growth.

So, what I do to prevent any PO4 from getting into the tank is I run a Phosban reactor with ROWAphos in my water holding container. I run the ROWAphos for three days on any new saltwater that will be used for a water change.

HUH???? First paragraph you say you cannot use P04 remover and the second you say you use phosban? Your running something like Zeovit? I'm pretty sure they do not reccomend using any P04 remover at all.

dustinP
04/04/2009, 04:08 PM
he said he runs it on his water change tank to prevent it from getting in

cwegescheide
04/04/2009, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14760599#post14760599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dustinP
he said he runs it on his water change tank to prevent it from getting in

Ahhh ok I missed that lol

Reefer08
04/04/2009, 06:02 PM
Great thread!! Finally someone created something like this! Ill post a few of my tips and tricks that have helped me out although they are very basic and simple :)

- Invest in a quality controller! Ive had way too many heater malfunctions (heater won't turn off or simply wont turn on!) and now its nice to have a piece of mind that my controller will turn on the heater or Fans for chilling.

- Change your filter socks as often as possible! I bleach mine and let them completely dry everytime I wash then in the washing machine. Its also good to buy several so you can rotate them!

- Let your skimmer overflow for about 2 or 3 seconds, this will clean your neck a little.

- If you skim wet, test your salinity frequently.

- ATO is the best investment! Stable salinity is a must! Buy quality ATO with a failsafe! The last thing you want is a stuck float valve with no failsafe to turn it off.

- Always have fresh saltwater and Ro/di water on hand! You never know when an accident might happen.

- Try to limit the amount of times you put your hand in your tank! Im very guilty of this! My gf thinks I pet my corals!! lol

- Keep all power cables as neat as possible, ZIP TIE everything! Label them also to know what your unplugging while doing maintenence!

- Properly acclimate your sps, starting them off on the floor. Too little light is always better than too much light.

- Invest in some type of automated Calcium/alkalinity device.

- Buy quality equipment! Cheap equipment will cost you double in the future, do it right the first time.

- If you don't have good equipment, do buy LE corals. Invest in equipment since thats more important. I can make a cheap sps coral look nicer in a system with good equipment vs an LE in a system with cheap equipment.

- Weekly water changes of only 10 percent or 15 percent maximum. Huge water changes are too stressful for sps.

- If your doing kalkwasser watch your PH!!! Drip it slowly or get an ato thats very sensitive to evaporation.

Reefer08
04/04/2009, 06:08 PM
- Always use 0 TDS and nothing else.

- Always use a good quality salt. Ive read about cheap salt containing phosphates and either high alkalinity or super low. I personally like D&D.

- Only take advice from people who have successful reef tanks! Too many people try to give their opinion and they don't have a nice tank to back it up!

- Never trust your lfs opinion if he doesn't have a nice display tank and everything is half dying! ;)

Reefer08
04/04/2009, 06:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758187#post14758187 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
[B]I wanted to add another thing that I do:

B]

Wow you run rowaphos on your freshly mixed saltwater? Do you throw away the rowaphos after the 3 days? Seems pretty expensive. I always trusted my ro/di and salt brand to prevent any phosphates from being introduced. Very interesting....

elijaher
04/04/2009, 08:23 PM
Any ideal on sand cleanup crew?

CeeGee
04/04/2009, 09:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14759792#post14759792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansonfam

Thanks

Jump on it! I have seen one of these in action and they are unbelievable! The comment that I heard about these skimmers is that they will suck the s*** right out of your fish! After seeing one run I believe it!

60Cubed
04/04/2009, 11:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14762516#post14762516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CeeGee
Jump on it! I have seen one of these in action and they are unbelievable! The comment that I heard about these skimmers is that they will suck the s*** right out of your fish! After seeing one run I believe it!

I second that!

Also I always write down the day I introduce a new bulb. Too many people fail to remember the actual date they added a particular light bulb. Then the lights get older and older.

How many times have you heard "My lights are about...um...6 months maybe 7 months." and in reality they are over a year! And you wonder why your tank looks like crap!

maikoa02
04/05/2009, 01:58 AM
Great thread guys. Yeah, wish I had known these things last year. Would have saved me thousands of dollars!!!

60Cubed
04/05/2009, 06:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14754437#post14754437 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schminksbro
If your married never tell your wife that this next piece of equipment or coral will complete your system. It won't. You will be a liar. lol

Keep frag plugs handy at all times. An "oops" frag of 1/4" long can become a full colony. Simply glue it too a plug and forget about it. Pretty soon those "oops" frags will be paying for a bucket of salt, piece of equipment, ect... No piece is too small to save.

Both these statements are sooo true! The wife thing is right on!

I learned that trick along time ago. You should tell her that you have to have it for a specific reason. And that the tank cannot be without it. Explain to her how much money you have invested already and that it would be in vein if it all died because of lack of this one piece of equipment! But it isn't your last piece. Especially if you are an equipment junkie like me!

boret
04/05/2009, 07:13 AM
This is a list from my local reef club. When I started it provided me with great ideas.

1. First Get A Turkey Baster!!!! If you don't already use one, get a clean new TB; Jack of All Reef Tools! Blows detritus off rocks; sucks up unwanted "stuff"; use it to target feed corals; and the list goes on.

2. Dog toothbrushes are a reefers second best friend (see above for the first). Get the kind with a large and small end are the best, 2 in 1.

3. Want to vacuum the tank without having to do a water change?? Just get some 3/8" flex tubing....or whatever size you want and put a fine mesh bag or a nylon on the end of it and rubber band/tie it on. Then stick the end w/ the bag into your sump. Start the siphon as mentioned below and vacuum away! The bag will filter all detritus /flatworms/ valonia/ whatever and let the water pass right thru.

4. Start your siphons by placing the submerged end of the hose in front of a power-head.

5. Vinegar is good for soaking pump/power-head impellers--it dissolves the CaCO3 that tends to build up on the internals.

6. If you have a venturi skimmer, drop the air tube into a cup of hot RO/DI water once a week to get rid of any salt creep into the venturi (remove the air line muffler if equipped).

7. I stick a scotch pad (synthetic 0000 steel wool) between my magnets (on the inside of the tank) which I rinse out frequently when cleaning my GLASS TANK.

8. The life of wooden air diffusers can be extended by heating them up in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. So when its time to change the diffuser,, pop it in the microwave and you'll be able to use it again.

9. You can make spray bars out of PVC instead of buying return nozzles.

10. Have clams for dinner. Wash shells, and use them to cover annoying algae patches on you rock...after a week or two the algae will be dead and gone for lack of light.

11. When catching a fish out of a tank use a rose vase. One of the big one's, for dozen roses, which has a large opening curves down for the neck, and then open back up. Put in a piece of food and set the vase on the side at the bottom of the tank. The curve in the neck will stop the food from floating out. Once the fish is in put your hand over the opening and pull it out. Most fish swim away from your hand so even if you are not fast enough to cover it they will probably stay in.

12. Place rubber matting underneath all of your equipment. It comes in 4 foot wide rolls at most hardware stores and is indispensable. It protects the floor beneath and helps isolate vibration. Its grooved surface helps control spills. You can curl it wherever it meets a wall to keep water from leaking out.

13. Save all the disposable plastic containers you get, eventually you'll find a reef use for them.

14. Put a piece of aluminum foil on top of your tank over your overflow to block light, keeps nuisance algae from growing in there and you don't have to clean gunk out of the overflow teeth.

15. If you have a deep tank, invest in a small step ladder. (2 or 3 steps) Instead of having a chair around, use the ladder to access your tank.

16. Finally, and this has been said before, keep a journal!! It doesn't have to be fancy or completely detailed, but one needs to record actions, observations, and perceived results. Water changes, livestock additions (or losses), bulb changes, etc, this things are forgotten and overlooked until something comes up, and then it's too late.

elijaher
04/05/2009, 03:52 PM
Cook your rocks first.

macreefster
04/05/2009, 04:34 PM
this may sound like a stupid question, but what is cooking rock and why would it be done? in all the years i've had reefs i've always bought cured rock and have never done anything with it.

SunnyX
04/05/2009, 04:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14761182#post14761182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Wow you run rowaphos on your freshly mixed saltwater? Do you throw away the rowaphos after the 3 days? Seems pretty expensive. I always trusted my ro/di and salt brand to prevent any phosphates from being introduced. Very interesting....

LOL, no. I run a small amount for around 6 months a year before replacing it.

mocarski
04/06/2009, 11:22 AM
Find and join a good local reef club. It will save you a fortune.

Joeareef
04/06/2009, 01:15 PM
I wanted to add another thing that I do:

This way I can put less stress on my system and prevent any excess PO4 from getting into it.

One other thing I feel that needs to be adressed is proper feeding protocol:
From what I have seen and read, people overfeed their tanks. I feed my fish every other day. My fish are fat and happy, and I have never had any issues even with the Anthais I have. If you do not keep up with a means of waste export, such as PO$ remover, Bacteria/carbon dosing, or water changes you stand the risk of having reduced corals health and an algae outbreak.

Now, how much you feed your fish is just as important as how often. Some people feed their fish five times a day and their systems look great. I suspect that they are feeding very small amounts of food, or that they are diligent about exporting waste. Unfortunately, not all reefers are as diligent and they quickly end up having issue related to elevated waste.

For those who just cant get corals to grow or color up to the desired level I suggest that you rethink what,how, and when you are feeding.

This is a great point...I have been feeding alot and it seems my corals have slowly started to not grow! is this from overfeeding?
I run a skimmer 24/7 and do all the things you suggested including run a phosphate reactor! I have some big fish and want to see them happy but I may be over feeding...My system is 400 gallons including the refugium and sump. I have a few 13" fish and feed everyday including about 10 cubs of spurlina...how much do the bigger tanks get fed? how many fish?

affroalex
04/08/2009, 06:22 AM
the tips on the first page helped me so much i have noticedmy water is a ot clearer i have not crap on the bottom of the sump and because of this my phosphate and nitrat levels have dropped alot just wanted to say thankyou for the tips

SunnyX
04/08/2009, 06:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14783767#post14783767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by affroalex
the tips on the first page helped me so much i have noticedmy water is a ot clearer i have not crap on the bottom of the sump and because of this my phosphate and nitrat levels have dropped alot just wanted to say thankyou for the tips

I am glad the tips worked out for you. :D

7thheaven
04/08/2009, 05:39 PM
Hi all~

Generally the sump is divided by some parts. When I use powerhead in sump, I install all parts of sump or specific area is existed?

Thanks. :)

Oldude
04/10/2009, 01:36 AM
Regarding pellets I use Formula One and discontinued Spectrum pellets because they contain flour.
Great thread Sonny, lots of good points being made.

250G
04/10/2009, 05:19 AM
Isn't it remarkable the amount of recommendations you can get in one thread?

I don't do 90% of the stuff notes in this thread and my tank and all my SPS have never looked better than they they do today.

Show there are many ways to get the results you are looking for.

SunnyX
04/10/2009, 05:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14797564#post14797564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Oldude
Regarding pellets I use Formula One and discontinued Spectrum pellets because they contain flour.

Does flour have a negative impact on our systems?

kaskiles
04/10/2009, 05:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14797564#post14797564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Oldude

Formula One pellets:
http://www.oceannutrition.com/product_marine.php?file=bc01.html&head=03

4th ingredient is wheat flour...

Big E
04/10/2009, 06:07 AM

I don't do 90% of the stuff notes in this thread and my tank and all my SPS have never looked better than they they do today.

Same here............most of these tips are good advice, but not necessarily needed.

The one I agree with the most is to design a plan & stick with it.

I've always kept it simple....... 10% weekly water changes & a skimmer. Nothing else & it's served me well.

By the way........my 16 year old purple tang has been eating Spectrum pellets almost exclusively for the past year & he has never looked better. He looks healthier fuller, & thicker than he has ever been. Before that he ate 85% Formula frozen foods, mostly 1&2. Maybe a combination of the two is the best bet, who knows.

SunnyX
04/10/2009, 07:31 AM
I also have fed my fish Spectrum for about 6 years now and they have always been healthy. Does the flour effect the fish or the system?

slow_leak
04/10/2009, 08:03 AM
It's another form of carbohydrates and don't know why it would have an adverse effect. I recently bought Coral Creole. I didn't realize it was 18 for a flat baggie.

I think most dry foods have 3% wt/wt phosphates whereas frozen rinsed foods are about 1/10th that. That might be the adverse effect but sounds like your doing great and some phosphates are needed.

Big E
04/10/2009, 10:22 AM
Are far as fish health goes grain fillers aren't supposed to be good for the fish.

There's no question the Spectrum adds more phosphates to the water.........I noticed this after about 3-4 months, but it's not much of an issue for anyone with a good export system.

slow_leak
04/10/2009, 11:08 AM
I only use flake food when I'm away and don't want to bother explaining much to the baby sitter.

Waterobert
04/10/2009, 11:21 AM
Read everything you can find with coral reef in title

CleveYank
04/10/2009, 11:28 AM
I do not know about much of flour good or bad. But I can attest to Big E's fish and coral health for I've seen the very apparent healthy and well established system.

I don't like flake food myself for the reason that it tends to bump phosphates a tad from what I've seen in my setup at least. I like it because of the engineered vitamins (think of it as millbrook wonder bread for fishies) that is purposly designed to bring about good fish health. Something that brine and scallops alone won't give you. I use these products for the vitamin reason but sparsely in my SPS systems to prevent the phosphate bump that pretty much all of the flake and pellet foods appear to cause. In some systems it doesn't mean a thing.

My no care or hands off system which is more of a fish only with liverock that has some softies in it that I rarely do more than topoff and change out carbon when I remember to do it. I can dump flake in by the ton and no hair algae and this is lit by metal halides to boot. I do not even have a clean up crew in that system except one lone hermit crab. Yet if I feed my SPS setup some flake for more than a couple days things start to change quick.

It's amazing how one thing is great or of -0- negative impact for one setup and can be not so good for another.

When are those updated pics coming Sonny? Not coloring eggs this year so maybe you can add some pastels to the holiday in the form of your updated coral pics I saw you threatening to post.

SunnyX
04/10/2009, 11:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14799582#post14799582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CleveYank
I do not know about much of flour good or bad. But I can attest to Big E's fish and coral health for I've seen the very apparent healthy and well established system.

I don't like flake food myself for the reason that it tends to bump phosphates a tad from what I've seen in my setup at least. I like it because of the engineered vitamins (think of it as millbrook wonder bread for fishies) that is purposly designed to bring about good fish health. Something that brine and scallops alone won't give you. I use these products for the vitamin reason but sparsely in my SPS systems to prevent the phosphate bump that pretty much all of the flake and pellet foods appear to cause. In some systems it doesn't mean a thing.

My no care or hands off system which is more of a fish only with liverock that has some softies in it that I rarely do more than topoff and change out carbon when I remember to do it. I can dump flake in by the ton and no hair algae and this is lit by metal halides to boot. I do not even have a clean up crew in that system except one lone hermit crab. Yet if I feed my SPS setup some flake for more than a couple days things start to change quick.

It's amazing how one thing is great or of -0- negative impact for one setup and can be not so good for another.

When are those updated pics coming Sonny? Not coloring eggs this year so maybe you can add some pastels to the holiday in the form of your updated coral pics I saw you threatening to post.

Are you referring to the new livestock pics I am going to post this evening or these ones I posted up last week? http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1436138&perpage=25&pagenumber=39

CleveYank
04/10/2009, 12:17 PM
the new stuff :)

SunnyX
04/10/2009, 12:22 PM
Gottcha. ;) Ill have them up this evening. I am redoing the basement so I have to first hit Lowe's and Ikea with the wife. :p

Reefer08
04/10/2009, 02:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14797714#post14797714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 250G

Then please post up a few of your tricks and tips of your own so we can learn from you. You have one of the nicest reef tanks here, we would all appreciate your advice.

Sunny, when are you going to compile a list of the best tips and tricks? Maybe a top 50?

macreefster
04/10/2009, 03:02 PM
i think whats so interesting are all the differant methodologies that produce great results. i think one must be careful in just administering these tips hodge podge as what works for one tank might not on yours. IMO it would be better to adopt someones whole approach to their tank rather than taking one tip from many differant ppl.

slow_leak
04/10/2009, 04:50 PM
I agree, especially for an established tank. Even if condition are not optimal changing system quickly is a terrible idea.

Oldude
04/11/2009, 10:07 AM
SunnyX - I also have fed my fish Spectrum for about 6 years now and they have always been healthy. Does the flour effect the fish or the system? My understanding is that fish don't digest flour very well so it increases their waste output. I can't say I ever really noticed a negative impact on my system but less waste is likely a good thing.:)

SunnyX
04/11/2009, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14805164#post14805164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Oldude
My understanding is that fish don't digest flour very well so it increases their waste output. I can't say I ever really noticed a negative impact on my system but less waste is likely a good thing.:)

Ahhh....so that explains my SPS growth. ;) :p

Oldude
04/11/2009, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14797750#post14797750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaskiles
Formula One pellets:
http://www.oceannutrition.com/product_marine.php?file=bc01.html&head=03

4th ingredient is wheat flour... You're right I don't know how I missed that. I guess that makes my flour point pretty much mute. Spectrum lists flour 3rd and F1 lists it 4th. I guess there is no getting away from it. Perhaps they use it as a bonding agent when making the pellets. I also use the F1 flakes and they don't say they have flour but whatever the case, flour or not my fish get a pretty balanced diet and are healthy, sand is white and system clean.

rreed
04/11/2009, 01:38 PM
I've gone thru all 5 pages of this thread. Not too sound arrogant, but before I take anyones advice proofs in their tank. You can always see how knowledgable a person is by their tank an setup.
I've always done 10 pecent water changes an biggest advice I can give is keeping all parameters in check, alk,calciun, ph!! Unless ur carbon dosing then u have another set of parameters to follow.

Reefer08
04/11/2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone notice negative effects from skimming too wet? Should we worry about the trace elements were stripping from the water?

rreed
04/12/2009, 07:46 AM
Iused to skim very wet, I would always measure what I taken out an replaced with salt water that I mixed up to prevent salinity changes an also parameter changes as well.

eggiel
04/12/2009, 10:49 AM
One other thing is temp for keeping SPS
What are your settings ?
I keep mine 79-80 F

dustinP
04/12/2009, 11:48 AM
i keep mine at a constant 82

eggiel
04/12/2009, 12:09 PM
I read that keeping the Temp at 84 aids to growth could this be true
anybody experience this

SunnyX
04/12/2009, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14811457#post14811457 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
I read that keeping the Temp at 84 aids to growth could this be true
anybody experience this

Increasing you temperature can increase rates of growth in coral but it can also bring about bleaching and increase the growth of harmful pathogens affecting fish. The growth takes off because the increasing temperature accelerates the creatures metabolism.

I would push my temperature past 84. Personally, mine never gets over 80.

SunnyX
04/12/2009, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14806257#post14806257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rreed
I've gone thru all 5 pages of this thread. Not too sound arrogant, but before I take anyones advice proofs in their tank. You can always see how knowledgable a person is by their tank an setup.
I've always done 10 pecent water changes an biggest advice I can give is keeping all parameters in check, alk,calciun, ph!! Unless ur carbon dosing then u have another set of parameters to follow.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/SunnyX_photo/DSC_0507.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/SunnyX_photo/FEB07.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/SunnyX_photo/DSC_0349.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/SunnyX_photo/New%20100gl%20Rimless%20Reef/DSC_0026.jpg

eggiel
04/12/2009, 03:32 PM
so Sunny were you think keeping the temp is best for growth but not having problems with harmful pathogens

volcom69
04/12/2009, 03:43 PM
Can we talk alittle more about feeding. Some people feed every other day and some everyday even more then once a day. Sonny you say you only feed everyother day, do you feel you corals look better by only feeding everyother day, if you feed everyday do they become brown. I think this is what confuses me alot, like how do you know if you are feeding to much or to less. What if some of your corals are light brown, but you have no nuisence algea anywhere in your tank does this mean your not feeding enough. I understand that if you have bad algea outbreaks that your probably over feeding, but what if some of your corals are brown but without the algea, what does this mean, your tank does not have enough nutrients in it. Can someone please explain this.

macreefster
04/12/2009, 03:51 PM
great question volcom and i am looking forward to sonnys answer. so many times i've read to feed the fish more to color up your corals, especially if you're vodka dosing and then i'll read in another thread that over feeding causes too many nutrients which causes the corals to brown. which one is it? while i love my fish, my corals come first so if cutting feeding will get me better colors i'll try it.

Oldude
04/12/2009, 08:19 PM
I find if I don't feed every day because since the fish haven't much algae to munch on they start picking at the corals and clams. I personally advocate daily feeding but there are a lot of variables depending on the live stock one keeps including both fish & corals. I think a lot also depends on the type of system you have as well.

volcom69
04/12/2009, 08:39 PM
I was reading some tank threads from a ways back from reefers who had good sps success, and they started feeding coral food everynight or everyother day, and there corals started to grow and color better then before. I might start to try this at night, with a turkey baster and blast some food over top of my sps to see what happens, but i will have to watch my po4, and no3 levels. Now that im dosing a carbon and bac source ill see how that works with keeping these levels down. I think ill try to feed my fish once a day and everyother day feed frozen foods. I guess its just a guessing game, but i find this is the hardest part of sps keeping how much to feed.

Rodrigo_BG
04/12/2009, 09:17 PM
Volcon in the sea corals are eating all the time, day and night. Unfortunately we can't do this at home because aquariums are closed system. This means that they can't export everything that comes in. My tip is, have and huge skimmer, do watter changes weekly and feed your corals everyday. Check your PO4 and NO3 weekly, keep cleaning and keep feeding. non stop..

slow_leak
04/13/2009, 07:32 AM
I'd bet the last picture in that series is the latest set up. I like the rock work much better and would be the easiest to maintain. I am in the process of breaking down an 8 year old system and making a simpler display with my favorite corals remaining.

Denadai
04/13/2009, 09:41 AM
Few years ago I had a full SPS reef tank, and I just did the basic and I was very happy with the tank

Good skimmer and ca reactor , weekly water change, good flow and light, some GFO and carbon.

Keep it simple is the best

Today we have so many products and magical formulas that a beginner can easily buy a lot of things that is not necessary

Best Regards

volcom69
04/13/2009, 02:12 PM
Ok well let me give you some examples im having right now, i have a saramatosa thats suposed to be green in color when i transfered tanks it started to green up nice since then it turned yellow/brown with green tips still, but yet my other greens seem ok, does this equal high nutrients. I have some unknown coral that was really never that nice when i bought it, but its brown and now is white just around the edges does this equal high nutrients. How about a tri color that is supposed to have purple tips some are dark purple while others you can see the hint of purple in it, and another tricolor thats supposed to be purple all the way down, but it only goes half way, but you still see the hint of purple down low, does this sound like high or low nutrients.

Its all confusing to me at this point, because i check my hanna for po4=0.02, and my no3 according to salfert 2.5, and api=0, so that seems low so why the brown on some. Then there are some since the transfer that has colored up like i have never seen. My transfer was 3 months ago now and i just started doing the carbon/bac method to see what happens. Any ideas here to much nutrients or not enough, should i try to feed my sps everyother night. Any thoughts oh all other parmeters are stable from weekly water changes which i check every week.

Denadai
04/14/2009, 06:44 AM
volcom,

Sometimes things is not so easy to understand

The best SPS tank that I saw, had 0.07 ppm of PO4, 1000 ppm of Mg and the colors was awesome, really impressive

If I were you, I would add more food , but your tank is very young yet, be patient

Best Regards

boret
04/14/2009, 11:42 AM
How is your light and water flow?

yannicksjh
04/14/2009, 06:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14755901#post14755901 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tfp
don't work on your reef or put your hands in the tank...
* past 9pm
* if you are tired
* have to leave within an hour
* are wearing nice clothes :)

Wow, i'm just reading this thread from start to end and came accross this. This is halarious and very true. Not to take away from ALL the great tips and suggestions so far in this thread. Keep it up everyone!

kyle1284
04/15/2009, 06:31 PM
WOW THIS IS ALOT OF INFO!

Konadog
04/25/2009, 02:21 PM
This thread has been nominated for "May's Thread of the Month".

Please take the time to read each of the nominated threads and cast your vote.

May's Thread of the Month (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1626318)

SunnyX
04/25/2009, 02:43 PM
Pretty cool, we have been nominated. Alright guys, you know what to do! Get out an vote! The compilation of "tips and tricks" should be up soon.

elijaher
04/25/2009, 02:59 PM
bump

cirujano
04/27/2009, 01:24 AM
Great info!

Reefy Fishy
04/27/2009, 04:35 AM
Is wet skimming better than the dry skimming? or the same?

kmacartney
04/27/2009, 05:47 AM
I don't know if it was mentioned but, when ever you want to change the way you maintain or run your tank just change or add one thing at a time and give it a week or two to the effects. That way you will know if it is good or not. Altering multiple variables makes it harder to measure effects, good or bad.

reefsahoy
04/27/2009, 03:39 PM
double check with the significant other that the empty tank that's about to be filled is in the perfect position.

BradR
04/27/2009, 04:56 PM
-Keep your skimmer neck clean to keep it's efficiency up.
-If you can picture some part of your setup potentially causing a catastrophic failure, you may want to change it.
-Try keeping your hands out of the tank for a week straight instead of constantly tinkering. The corals like to be left alone.
-If a heater sticks on will it cook your tank? Sometimes two small heaters are better than one big one.
-More light isn't always better.

Reefer08
04/29/2009, 04:02 PM
Sunny, I recently added a powerhead in my sump and its seriously helped a lot. I don't run filter socks so all the detritus is taken out of the water by the skimmer and the powerhead doesn't allow any detritus to settle on the floor. Thanks, great advice.

bilpiper
04/29/2009, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14921009#post14921009 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Sunny, I recently added a powerhead in my sump and its seriously helped a lot. I don't run filter socks so all the detritus is taken out of the water by the skimmer and the powerhead doesn't allow any detritus to settle on the floor. Thanks, great advice.
I put powerheads in my sump 3 days ago also and can't believe the difference. Agree, that it is great advice.

SunnyX
04/29/2009, 04:27 PM
Make sure you guys put in your vote for thread of the month here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1626318

We need 30 more votes! :D

cristiand
04/29/2009, 05:38 PM
I added two Koralia 3's to my sump, and I am now running Carbon, I have been doing it for a week, I am pretty impressed with the results. My sump is sooo much cleaner and the tank itself looks so much cleaner.

On a separate note, any suggestions as far as where to place the carbon/phosphate in the sump, do you recommend that I put it in filter sock, or in a place with lots of water movement? Currently, I have both the carbon and the phosphate in a sock, and I have the Koralia pointed towards it, about 10 inches away. Also what brands are the experts using for carbon/phosphate media?

Thanks, and again, great thread.

Cristian

dustinP
04/29/2009, 05:52 PM
carbon and phosphate are best ran in a reactor with a ball valve to control the flow through it

SunnyX
04/29/2009, 07:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14921628#post14921628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cristiand
I added two Koralia 3's to my sump, and I am now running Carbon, I have been doing it for a week, I am pretty impressed with the results. My sump is sooo much cleaner and the tank itself looks so much cleaner.

On a separate note, any suggestions as far as where to place the carbon/phosphate in the sump, do you recommend that I put it in filter sock, or in a place with lots of water movement? Currently, I have both the carbon and the phosphate in a sock, and I have the Koralia pointed towards it, about 10 inches away. Also what brands are the experts using for carbon/phosphate media?

Thanks, and again, great thread.

Cristian

I am glad that these tips and tricks are helping out so many of you guys and gals. :thumbsup:

As DustinP has stated, phosphate and Carbon media is best run in a reactor but carbon can also be run just fine in a mesh bag. You want to keep the carbon at the very end of your sump near the return pump and the PO4 reactor away from the CA reactor/Kalk effluent as this can essentianlly turn the Po4 media in a brick.

-Sonny

Reefer08
04/29/2009, 08:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14922453#post14922453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
I am glad that these tips and tricks are helping out so many of you guys and gals. :thumbsup:

As DustinP has stated, phosphate and Carbon media is best run in a reactor but carbon can also be run just fine in a mesh bag. You want to keep the carbon at the very end of your sump near the return pump and the PO4 reactor away from the CA reactor/Kalk effluent as this can essentianlly turn the Po4 media in a brick.

-Sonny

Is it okay to put carbon in a mesh bag and zip tied to the drain? I figure it is but not sure why you say you need to have it near the return pump

Reefer08
04/29/2009, 08:07 PM
sorry repost.

SunnyX
04/29/2009, 08:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14922725#post14922725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefer08
Is it okay to put carbon in a mesh bag and zip tied to the drain? I figure it is but not sure why you say you need to have it near the return pump

Well, you want your skimmer and Po4 remover to clean the water before it gets to the carbon. Carbon is a finisher/polisher for the water and you would exhaust it rapidly if it was getting "raw" water straight from the drain.

JCR's Reef
04/30/2009, 08:10 AM
Im guilty of this, and I know alot of new people do this b/c they dont know better but be patient when stocking your system. Patients plays a major part in reefkeeping! Make sudden changes only when needed, otherwise make your changes over a period of time. Allow your bio-load to stablize.

GFI outlets a must! If they arent now I'm sure they will be sometime in the future..

Go buy your own toothbrushes, cooking strainers, bowls, tongs, knifes, scissors, bowls, kitchen/bathroom towels- dont use your wifes.

Whenever you buy new equipment that goes in your tank, wash it first before you put it in. You dont know if the person packing it up had soap,perfume, etc.. on their hand prior to that..

When doing your monthy tank maintence, just dont clean the poweheads etc..clean and inspect your entire system (pipes, seams, etc...) so you can catch a potential problem before it happens.. Also soak your test vials in a vinger bath and clean them aswell..

If you use a nylon/mesh bag to hold carbon, once a week shake it to keep particles out and maximize surface area/asborbtion

I have always ran a powerhead in my sump to keep detrius suspended. I also have a small powerhead I use to blow off all the rocks individually if I can get to them every couple of weeks. You'll be amazed how much comes out if you've never done it. You can also use a pipette to get down in the cracks, or holes in the liverock. Even if you do this every couple of months, it better than not doing it at all.

For those of you that arent able to get gravity to work with you when doing sump W/C...A simple method it to take 5/8 tubing/hose and a maxijet powerhead to export the water out of your sump.

If you manually fill a container with RO/DI water, buy a timer or set your cellphone alarm so you dont forget about it..It'll stop your wife from yelling at you while water is flooding the floor "I forgot all about it" LOL

If you have Cheato in your refugium w/out a powerhead, shake this out as well as it holds alot of detrius in it.

If you want to stay in the hobby, for everything you buy you must buy your wife atleast one thing aswell : )

edandsandy
04/30/2009, 08:51 AM
SunnyX,
We have a Deltec 902 protein skimmer on our system, we also have the Self Cleaning Head in use.
We have it clean the head for 2 minutes and rinse the head for 1 minute every 12 hours.

What do you think of these Self Clean Heads?

do you think they interfere with the bubbles popping to soon ?

Just courious to see how many people have a Self Cleaning Head?

I take the head off at lease once a week and rinse the brushes, there is a lot of stuff in the brushes.

AquamanE
04/30/2009, 06:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14816279#post14816279 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Denadai
Few years ago I had a full SPS reef tank, and I just did the basic and I was very happy with the tank

Good skimmer and ca reactor , weekly water change, good flow and light, some GFO and carbon.

Keep it simple is the best

Today we have so many products and magical formulas that a beginner can easily buy a lot of things that is not necessary

Best Regards

100+

We sometimes get too caught up with gadgets and forget the basics.

SunnyX
04/30/2009, 06:29 PM
Make sure you guys put in your vote for thread of the month here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1626318

15 more votes guys! I know we have 15 more votes here somewhere! :D

Konadog
04/30/2009, 06:31 PM
Poll closes later tonight, so vote fast :D

SunnyX
04/30/2009, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14925136#post14925136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edandsandy
SunnyX,
We have a Deltec 902 protein skimmer on our system, we also have the Self Cleaning Head in use.
We have it clean the head for 2 minutes and rinse the head for 1 minute every 12 hours.

What do you think of these Self Clean Heads?

do you think they interfere with the bubbles popping to soon ?

Just courious to see how many people have a Self Cleaning Head?

I take the head off at lease once a week and rinse the brushes, there is a lot of stuff in the brushes.

Hello I have no experience with the self cleaning head so I really cant offer any advice pertaining to its use.

SunnyX
04/30/2009, 09:42 PM
10 more votes for the win! VOTE VOTE VOTE!! :D http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14929719#post14929719

SunnyX
05/01/2009, 06:17 AM
Well.... we are up by 3 votes. Lets hope we can hold it! :D
If you have not voted please do so : http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14930803#post14930803

DheereCrossing
05/01/2009, 07:13 AM
Just voted. #95

SWINGRRRR
05/01/2009, 09:16 AM
I voted.

kyle1284
05/01/2009, 11:02 AM
i voted too

elijaher
05/01/2009, 11:03 AM
I voted also

aquariumclown
05/01/2009, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14924911#post14924911 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCR's Reef

Go buy your own toothbrushes, cooking strainers, bowls, tongs, knifes, scissors, bowls, kitchen/bathroom towels- dont use your wifes.

Whenever you buy new equipment that goes in your tank, wash it first before you put it in. You dont know if the person packing it up had soap,perfume, etc.. on their hand prior to that..

If you want to stay in the hobby, for everything you buy you must buy your wife atleast one thing aswell : )

Sounds like someone learned the hard way, lol.

kyle1284
05/01/2009, 11:25 AM
what is carbon dosing and what does it do?

catastrofe
05/01/2009, 11:29 AM
If I can point out the obvious. . .almost every one of these tips applies to any tank, not just SPS/reef tanks. . .

And yes, I voted! Great thread!!

:D

fred fishstone
05/01/2009, 12:32 PM
Most everyone uses a turkey baster for various purposes, but make sure you take it apart and clean it occasionally -- especially the gunk that can build up in the bulb. It can be nasty!!!

ReefEnabler
05/01/2009, 12:38 PM
If you are going to be using epoxy putty to secure frags, it is a good idea to turn off supplemental powerheads or closed loops for a few hours. too much turbulence in the water can wiggle the frag slightly, weakning the epoxy before it has a chance to cure, leading to your prized coral tumbling down from wherever it was. Yes I learned this the hard way a few times :)

Konadog
05/01/2009, 08:15 PM
Congratulations, this thread is the Winner of May's Thread of the Month.

DheereCrossing
05/01/2009, 09:29 PM
Yea! Congrats Sonny.

SunnyX
05/01/2009, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14935122#post14935122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
Congratulations, this thread is the Winner of May's Thread of the Month.

Yeah! Way to go guys! Thanks to all who voted and contributed to this thread! :celeb3: :celeb3: :celeb3:

Lets keep the ideas flowing!

elijaher
05/02/2009, 01:44 AM
Congratulations True keep the tips flowing.

maroun.c
05/02/2009, 01:32 PM
Congrats, well deserved

AquamanE
05/02/2009, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14932725#post14932725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fred fishstone
Most everyone uses a turkey baster for various purposes, but make sure you take it apart and clean it occasionally -- especially the gunk that can build up in the bulb. It can be nasty!!!

To add to this..also make sure when balsting detritus off rocks or anything like this..that the end is secure. On two occasions it has come appart on me and the results are not nice, unless you consider making 5 x 1" frags of a Leng Sy monti a benefit. :)

AquamanE
05/02/2009, 05:17 PM
STABILITY!!!!!!

It is best to make changes SLOW!!! Whether its adding GFO, changing water chemistry parameters, changing salts...ANYTHING. Rapid changes are not friends of SPS.

Just my opinion, and experience.

tonyespinoza
05/02/2009, 10:27 PM
hey sonny - congrats! so did you find that your water changes were introducing small amounts of PO4, or have you been running the ROWA on the mix tank as a precaution against a bad batch? i presume you don't run it on your top off water... ?

SunnyX
05/03/2009, 06:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14940874#post14940874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
hey sonny - congrats! so did you find that your water changes were introducing small amounts of PO4, or have you been running the ROWA on the mix tank as a precaution against a bad batch? i presume you don't run it on your top off water... ?

Thanks. :D

I don't run PO4 remover on my top off(although I will once I pick up a Tunze Osmolator). I was getting some PO4 from my water changes so I decided to take this precaution. As long as the water change container remains full I can run a small dose of Rowa for more then 6 months before replacement is due. I know it may be a little excessive to run ROWA on you water change container but I feel that it has helped my water remain crystal clear.

Pretty clear, eh? ;)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p157/SunnyX_photo/New%20100gl%20Rimless%20Reef/DSC_0137.jpg

JCR's Reef
05/03/2009, 08:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14939336#post14939336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquamanE
STABILITY!!!!!!

It is best to make changes SLOW!!! Whether its adding GFO, changing water chemistry parameters, changing salts...ANYTHING. Rapid changes are not friends of SPS.

Just my opinion, and experience.

That can be said over and over and over.....Actually one of the hardest things to do in this hobby. Most people are impatient and jump the gun on everything from dosing, to water changes. Its still hard for me and I know better, and alot of other reefers do too..Dont expect everything to happen overnight...The best looking tanks have taken atleast a couple of years to achieve, although they are coming out with great products to help you get started right off of the bat now......

How About A Higher K Rating Bulb?..
How many people on here with stable water parameters, can achieve good SPS coloration with just a 12k or lower bulb without actinic supplementation? I switched from a 20k for a little faster growth. I use a 12k bulb by itself and some of my colors have faded, while others have taken on new coloration, and some have browned out. I ask to see if its the bulb or me? Growth has been good though.
So with that being said, I would almost say to achieve good coral coloration you would want a higher K rating lighting system and a LNS system. Although its not required to keep SPS,

AquamanE
05/03/2009, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14942062#post14942062 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JCR's Reef
That can be said over and over and over.....Actually one of the hardest things to do in this hobby. Most people are impatient and jump the gun on everything from dosing, to water changes. Its still hard for me and I know better, and alot of other reefers do too..Dont expect everything to happen overnight...The best looking tanks have taken atleast a couple of years to achieve, although they are coming out with great products to help you get started right off of the bat now......

How About A Higher K Rating Bulb?..
How many people on here with stable water parameters, can achieve good SPS coloration with just a 12k or lower bulb without actinic supplementation? I switched from a 20k for a little faster growth. I use a 12k bulb by itself and some of my colors have faded, while others have taken on new coloration, and some have browned out. I ask to see if its the bulb or me? Growth has been good though.
So with that being said, I would almost say to achieve good coral coloration you would want a higher K rating lighting system and a LNS system. Although its not required to keep SPS,

I used to run 10K MH with VHO actinics, had good growth but so so coloration. When i switched to 14K MH, same VHO actinics the colors have dramatically improved with equal growth.

tonyespinoza
05/03/2009, 11:32 AM
amazing pic sonny! so how much rowa are you running on what size container? (if i'm gonna copy you, i might as well do it correctly!)

SunnyX
05/04/2009, 08:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14942950#post14942950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza
amazing pic sonny! so how much rowa are you running on what size container? (if i'm gonna copy you, i might as well do it correctly!)

Thanks! :D

On a 44gl Rubbermaid Brute container I run a Phosban reactor with 1 cup of ROWAphos. I can usually go about 6 months before I have to swap out the media.

AquamanE
05/04/2009, 03:06 PM
amazing pic sonny!

Agreed!! Any info on pic itself, camera, lens, SETTINGS on camera?:eek1:

SunnyX
05/04/2009, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14950066#post14950066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquamanE
Agreed!! Any info on pic itself, camera, lens, SETTINGS on camera?:eek1:

Nikon D50 SLR with 18-55mm Lens, 200 ISO, Auto White Balance.

edandsandy
05/05/2009, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14950598#post14950598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX
Nikon D50 SLR with 18-55mm Lens, 200 ISO, Auto White Balance.

That is a fantastic pic.
I did notice in the pic, it looks like the pumps are off.
Right? is that another reason it looks so clear?
I have to ask:o did you Photoshop it?????

reefgeek31
05/05/2009, 10:59 PM
p/s or not that is a awesome tank! Great job sonny

michael.lemke
05/12/2009, 08:24 PM
How do I get great growth? My tank is 24x20x20 with 250w mh. phoenix 14k (7hours). small old skimmer in a 10 gallon fuge and a korallia 3 and seio 540 for water movement. I am using reef code a and b for calcium(400) and alk(9). I do a 1 gal water change weekly and keep my hands out most of the time. Would a bigger/better skimmer help with growth? Great tank sunny!

mocarski
05/13/2009, 09:57 AM
If you have hard plumbing, mark the direction to loosen fittings on the pipes. I've snapped off a few pieces of pvc from tightening rather than loosening. Seems like it should be simple enough to know which way is tightening and which way is loosening, but when you've got it running all different directions on some installations, it can get confusing. I hope this isn't just me lol.

Can't take credit for the following one. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link.

CA reactor effluent could contain PO4. Run it through a PO4 reactor before dumping it into your system.

Aqua Keepers
05/13/2009, 08:27 PM
Righty tighty lefty loosie

Paulca916
05/13/2009, 11:04 PM
Awesome topic.
I always take off my filter sock for like 5 hours when feeding any type of Filter foods Phyto Feats Oyster Feast ect.
As I feel it catches it in the bag so its wasting money and food.
Im going to try the power head in the sump even thou after 15 months my sump bottom is really clean but this wouldnt hurt.
I run a NEXT REEF MR-1 reactor with 100 ml of Rowaphos its fed by a small power head about 160 GPH this has kept my PO4 almost undetectable I change it every 2 months when I change my carbon.
I use RO/DI water should I continue this metheod ?

KDDG
05/15/2009, 05:46 PM
I am not sure if anyone said this or not: In your experience, how long would you guys recommend waiting before adding SPS corals to a system? Great thread, by the way!

PowermanKW
05/24/2009, 01:13 PM
I don't get the benifit of a PH in the sump for a SPS tank. I realize detrius falls out, but isn't that a good place to remove it?

Also, any good tips on mechanical filters. I don't have any. I figure it was defeating the purpose of fuge food and micro fauna. I run .8 rox carbon in a reactor, and from time to time if I stir up the tank I will fill it with floss and filter for a bit. Are mechanial filters a no no?

burnah
05/28/2009, 06:38 AM
from what i remember, the denitrifying bacteria need low flow areas, wouldnt the PH in the fuge be conraproductive? i also siphon out the detrious from my fuge which accumulates down there, is this not an easier way of removing it?

David - Miami
05/29/2009, 03:15 PM
I was hoping hoping to see if Sunny had an opinion on the K rating of the bulbs. Does anyone know if 10K is not as beneficial as 20K for example?

unseen_clone
06/26/2009, 10:37 PM
bump.
because im only on page 4 and its a good read.
time for bed now.

boret
06/26/2009, 11:14 PM
After the thread made it to thread of the month it completely died. :( Too bad. A lot of great advice.

SunnyX
06/27/2009, 05:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15018764#post15018764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KDDG
I am not sure if anyone said this or not: In your experience, how long would you guys recommend waiting before adding SPS corals to a system? Great thread, by the way!

I would wait about 6 months before adding SPS to a new system. You could speed up the process a bit by dosing bacteria which should help mature the tank quicker.

Generally, if you still have problem algae in your tank you are not ready for SPS. Im not saying it cant be done, but not optimally.

SunnyX
06/27/2009, 05:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15068495#post15068495 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PowermanKW
I don't get the benifit of a PH in the sump for a SPS tank. I realize detrius falls out, but isn't that a good place to remove it?

Also, any good tips on mechanical filters. I don't have any. I figure it was defeating the purpose of fuge food and micro fauna. I run .8 rox carbon in a reactor, and from time to time if I stir up the tank I will fill it with floss and filter for a bit. Are mechanial filters a no no?

The power head in the sump help keep the detritus in suspension. The detritus stays in the water and is eaten my the corals or filtered out by the skimmer. If you let it sit around in your sump it will breakdown and release PO4 back into your system. Some people just siphon it out of there sump weekly but sometimes they dont get around to doing so and it becomes a problem.

Mechanical filtration can be used if you are diligent about keeping the filters clean. If you have a large skimmer than you really should have much particles floating around. Personally, I dont bother with mechanical filters or filter socks as I believe they create more problems then they are worth. Feeding in moderation, a large skimmer, lots of flow, and you should be good to go. ;)

SunnyX
06/27/2009, 05:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15099215#post15099215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by David - Miami
I was hoping hoping to see if Sunny had an opinion on the K rating of the bulbs. Does anyone know if 10K is not as beneficial as 20K for example?

I know that in the past some corals react differently to certain lighting. Your best bet to hit all color spectrum's of light when growing SPS.

The best MH combo I ever ran was XM10K's and VHO actinic bulbs. This hit across the entire spectrum and my corals loved it. When I went to XM20K and actinics I found that my corals lacked the growth and variety of colors they had with 10K. I replaced the actinics with daylight bulbs and it eventually evened out.

On my newest setup with T5's I have 4 blue and 3 white bulbs. This setup as proven to be the most appealing to my eyes and to the colors of my corals. I am now getting colors I never got with MH.

If you are still running MH I would suggest you look into some T5 ATI Blue+ supplementation. This combo would give you the best of both worlds and great color.

If you decide to go full T5 that would be great as well. ;)

SunnyX
06/27/2009, 05:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15264907#post15264907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boret
After the thread made it to thread of the month it completely died. :( Too bad. A lot of great advice.

Well, I am back now! :D

I am been busy on other threads and answering the barrage of PM's and emails I receive daily. Sometimes I forget about threads but thanks for posting and reminding me.

Here is a tip for you, dont know if someone already posted it or not....

Keep frozen 2 liter bottles full of water in your freezer. In the summertime the tank can get hot and tossing one of these 2 liters into your sump can be great in an emergency situation.

Ok, what else have you guys got! We need some juicy tips! :smokin:

boret
06/27/2009, 07:49 AM
Alright!! Thank you Sonny!!

David - Miami
06/27/2009, 08:03 AM
Yes. Thank you Sunny for the light tips as well.

Paulca916
06/27/2009, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15265464#post15265464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SunnyX

Here is a tip for you, dont know if someone already posted it or not....

Keep frozen 2 liter bottles full of water in your freezer. In the summertime the tank can get hot and tossing one of these 2 liters into your sump can be great in an emergency situation.

Ok, what else have you guys got! We need some juicy tips! :smokin:
In smaller tanks like my 30 gallon the sump is only a 10 gallon sump.
For this I use Zip Lock Freezer quart bags I keep 4 of them filled with water in the freezer.
After they defrost I put them back in and reuse them next time

Theomi
01/25/2010, 04:33 PM
Sunny sorry if this has been asked but with the powerhead in the sump idea, where to place it if you have 3 compartments like me?

reefsic
01/25/2010, 04:41 PM
Great Thread by-the-way!

I would just like to add that, less is more! Be patient and take your time when it comes to anything related to reefkeeping, i.e. increasing/decreasing photoperiod, dosing, adding substrate, LR, LS, fish. Too much of anything, too quickly creates a higher risk of crashing IMO!!!

naldopr
01/25/2010, 06:52 PM
love this Thread
what about to determinate what cause corals to get brown if your phosphate nitrates are reading 0. do we need to feed more?or to much light, way over rated skimmers?etc

mike332211
01/25/2010, 07:29 PM
I use filter socks changed regularly and wet skim. I blow the rock off with a powerhead once a week and the sock polishes water.

+1 on battery backup.

hypersonic85
01/25/2010, 08:38 PM
I do not know if they said this already but cleaning all your power heads. I just clean mine and what a difference. I think last time I had done this was several months ago and what an improvement it made on water movement in the tank.

DheereCrossing
01/26/2010, 07:07 AM
Sunny sorry if this has been asked but with the powerhead in the sump idea, where to place it if you have 3 compartments like me?

I would guess the best place to put it would be where the most potential for settling of ditritus would be. Off the top of my head, I'd say put it in the first compartment where the water enters. If that is the skimmer section, it would stir up anything that the skimmer initially misses and give it another shot before the flow carries it to the next section of the sump.

reefsahoy
01/26/2010, 07:29 AM
for CA reactors users, install a inline filter to avoid small particles from clogging the input to the reactor so your drip rate will stay constant once you set it.

Plan>B
01/26/2010, 09:40 PM
for CA reactors users, install a inline filter to avoid small particles from clogging the input to the reactor so your drip rate will stay constant once you set it.
Now what would you consider small? For what size of particles? 200 Micros?

willan
01/27/2010, 09:51 AM
Hello Sonny,I know you are use 1260 pump for return but why your return pipe looks like a 1-1/2" any reason may you can tell me?
and how is your sands are always white and your glass is clean too even back side how to you do that amazing of you ? sorry if you posted it and I missed it...THANK YOU:thumbsup:

silentscream
01/27/2010, 10:29 AM
how is your sands are always white and your glass is clean too even back side how to you do that amazing of you ? sorry if you posted it and I missed it...THANK YOU:thumbsup:

No discredit to SunnyX, but I'm sure he cleans his sand and glass before snapping photos to post online, I know I wouldn't post photos on this site until I had spent a while cleaning it up. :lol2:

You just have to want to have clean glass and sand. Meaning, stay on top of the glass with the scrubber so it never gets bad in the first place. Easy access also helps motivate you to clean it whenever you walk by the tank, good coral placement and rimless, open top tanks make routine maintenance a piece of cake.

marclwheeler
01/27/2010, 10:47 AM
wish i would have read this along time ago...:lmao: my sump is jam pack w/ macro algae.. I'm not too certain i could fit a power head down there and if so i don't think it would do much good... I do how ever have my skimmer pulling out where my tank drains out to in the sump... that should acheive same results as that area is small and water is VERYturbulent... your thoughts?

silentscream
01/27/2010, 11:04 AM
wish i would have read this along time ago...:lmao: my sump is jam pack w/ macro algae.. I'm not too certain i could fit a power head down there and if so i don't think it would do much good... I do how ever have my skimmer pulling out where my tank drains out to in the sump... that should acheive same results as that area is small and water is VERYturbulent... your thoughts?

If there is no detritus on the bottom of your sump, I would say you're good to go.

DheereCrossing
01/27/2010, 04:12 PM
If your fuge is packed with macro, time to harvest and export some nutrients. Once you can't see the bottom anymore, tear out half and let it grow back in.

chercm
02/19/2010, 05:16 PM
i need some advice as i have my deltec AP701 very near to my return pump so there are mini bubbles being sent to the main tank , any advice

here is the pic :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/chercm/091028_204857.jpg

strout
02/19/2010, 07:35 PM
The two best threads in along time, This one and the thread on DIY Stands Template Calculator

JCR's Reef
02/20/2010, 12:23 AM
chercm- You could put a filter sock over the exit pipe to catch the bubbles

E.intheC
09/08/2011, 09:39 AM
...great thread :thumbsup:

fq600
09/08/2011, 11:57 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to siphon ditrus out of my sump... Since the sump is level with the floor, gravity wont work here.

Use an external pump? How do I get the water flowing?

Of all the methods/ways to control nutrient, no1 mentioned yet about an Algae Scrubber. It's simple and one can build it out of just PVC pipes. It has worked amazing for me so far. It's a natural way of controlling and keeping nutrient in balance. It will not stripe the water off of all nutrient like a GFO reactor would.

Mr. X
09/08/2011, 01:23 PM
6. Get the biggest skimmer you can accommodate. I believe that a protein skimmer is one of the most important parts of a healthy reef system. The skimmer I have on my system is rated for 3-4 times more then my system volume. With a larger simmer you can keep a higher bio load and effectively keep the nutrients down. The skimmer will help add oxygen to your system and is a good insurance policy against unforeseen events in the system.

Great tips...

Regarding the point above, would it be a good idea to get the Reef octopus 5000 for a 100gallon system ? or go in for something smaller ?

SeabassSA
11/16/2011, 02:26 PM
Interesting

Enjoy
11/16/2011, 04:48 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to siphon ditrus out of my sump... Since the sump is level with the floor, gravity wont work here.

Use an external pump? How do I get the water flowing?

Try using a ShopVac, or a BucketHead (sold by Home Depot). It clips onto the top of a 5g bucket, and has a wet/dry vacumm. Works great for cleaning out the sump.

Good Luck.

Doug864
11/16/2011, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't. You will have a hard time trying to tune it. I had one on a 210g and it was to big for that.
Regards,
Doug
Great tips...

Regarding the point above, would it be a good idea to get the Reef octopus 5000 for a 100gallon system ? or go in for something smaller ?

allsps40
11/16/2011, 06:46 PM
Add a ATO to your reef. Aids in keeping water parameters stable and keep you from having to top off daily. You can also dose kalk with the ATO so alk and ca can be kept stable as well.
Keep your hand out. It seems the less I mess with the tank the better the corals do.

rodneyri
11/16/2011, 07:52 PM
I have a power head in my overflow pointing directly down so I dont get any build up in the weir.

Keep your hands out the tank as much as possible

fragyoureef
11/16/2011, 08:02 PM
Awesome thread I feel like I learned so much thanks

SeabassSA
11/18/2011, 10:44 PM
Does SunnyX have a tank thread, can someone please paste a link to it.

Thanks

@SunnyX no phos remover in a bacteria driven system, why is that?

M Woodhill
11/18/2011, 11:06 PM
do quarantine everything before u put'em into the dt.

however, it's fairly hard----actually incredibly hard to follow

i've learned some lessons but ......... shame on me

acroholicreefer
11/19/2011, 06:33 AM
Here is another one, don't put rust in your system.

allsps40
11/19/2011, 08:38 AM
Sadly SunnyX has moved on, no longer in the forum. We all miss his tanks and expertise.

Trevor40
11/19/2011, 03:26 PM
My tip is never to settle for a coral that you kind of like just to save a few bucks and not buy the one you LOVE. High end corals will grow just like the low end one will and one day need to be fragged. Its a lot easier to sell high end frag than low end. The coral you love will motivate you to take better care of your tank:)

Daniel Reef
11/19/2011, 10:00 PM
This is an amazing thread. Sorry to hear that Sunny is gone. Hopefully, some other knowledgeable poster will take the reins from Sunny and take responsibility for this thread. Any takers?

acroholicreefer
11/19/2011, 11:29 PM
This is an amazing thread. Sorry to hear that Sunny is gone. Hopefully, some other knowledgeable poster will take the reins from Sunny and take responsibility for this thread. Any takers?

I'm would like to think that if people just ask somebody will give a great answer.

robbous
11/20/2011, 12:06 AM
Great thread!! ill be coming here often as i want to get more into sps

robbous
11/20/2011, 01:12 AM
Always be sure to have at least $100 bill in your pocket when entering the LFS, and it gone upon leaving.......especially when restocking food/salt/supplements all at the same time.

THAT IS SO TRUE!!!!! LOL i went to LFS last week to pick up some gfo and ended up leaving with a 100.00 blonde naso tang:lolspin:

64Ivy
11/20/2011, 08:51 AM
I'm a huge believer in redundancy; having a back-up for just about everything that could break. Especially since we know that most reefkeeping equipment is actually PROGRAMMED at the factory to break ten minutes after the only store that would carry the replacement part closes for the weekend.

sreefs
11/20/2011, 01:22 PM
I'm a huge believer in redundancy; having a back-up for just about everything that could break. Especially since we know that most reefkeeping equipment is actually PROGRAMMED at the factory to break ten minutes after the only store that would carry the replacement part closes for the weekend.

:lolspin: So thru on all counts.