PDA

View Full Version : Losing my Caulastrea?

conjuay
03/31/2009, 09:39 AM
I have several different candycanes from several different reefers. Of all of them only one small neon green frag makes any attempt to catch food. the others never even extend when food is in the water, and spot fed foods just roll off (or get grabbed by the fish, etc)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I will have to wait until tomorrow to post water parameters.

I should add that they are at different heights in the tank, from 12" under the light to the sand (22") and under 8 X 54 t5's.

Ajsim1
03/31/2009, 03:57 PM
Are the candycanes closed at night as well? Very often they only try to catch any food at night, like the one in my tank. During the day it stays closed, even when there is food floating in the tank...

conjuay
03/31/2009, 10:19 PM
Presently only the "moonlights" are on and I just checked, they are not opened. I will turn off the moonlights and check on them again tonight.

Rouselb
04/05/2009, 08:28 PM
They feed at night. Wait till its dark, and you dont really need to spot feed them. Mine are in a low light frag/fuge area and grow like weeds. You will see the sweepers at night, If you have too much light they wont open. Try running your lights up a bit higher or move the ones in question to a lower light area.

conjuay
04/06/2009, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14767537#post14767537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rouselb
They feed at night. Wait till its dark, and you dont really need to spot feed them. Mine are in a low light frag/fuge area and grow like weeds. You will see the sweepers at night, If you have too much light they wont open. Try running your lights up a bit higher or move the ones in question to a lower light area.

I'm running eight t5's (430W total) on an 20" deep tank.
Most of the 'canes are up high on the rockwork- you think they'll do better lower down?
Worth a try, I guess...
Thnx

Rouselb
04/06/2009, 10:23 AM
It has really worked for me. I moved mine from my display to my frag tank, moved them out of the light. They are now 20" from the MH which is hung 12" above water level. This is what they now look like. Much larger heads, always opening at night to feed. Look close in the picture and you will see the sweepers.
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/rouselb/February%2009%20Corals%20For%20Sale/P4040032.jpg

conjuay
04/07/2009, 09:37 PM
As I have several colonies (only one green like yours) I have moved several down to the sand. They are the two toned type- brown ring w/green centers. One colony is still up high on the rocks, but it's off to the side and not in real direct light.
The "neons" (like yours) have been down low from the start, and do attempt to feed regularily. I hope it is as simple as that, thnx again,
mike