PDA

View Full Version : Purple algae

Meyeronfire!
03/31/2009, 07:30 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if anybody has used the addative purple up. I would like to get my coraline algae goin. And would be a bad idea considering that I still have diatoms?

Thanks for the help!

thecoralreefer
03/31/2009, 07:38 PM
It is never to soon for coraline to grow Purple up does work to some degree. Keep the Ca up the see it grow. Look at the ingredients and compare with the adds you use now to determine if you need another additive.

turretdr
03/31/2009, 07:40 PM
Purple up boosts your calcium. You could do this with regular water changes for now. IMO, it as an expensive unnecessary additive.

Meyeronfire!
03/31/2009, 07:43 PM
Ahh good to know. My LFS has it for 27 bucks. kind of expensive. But couldnt I just use some Ca booster?

mutateddogbone
03/31/2009, 08:04 PM
purple up is crap. you have to use it often and it clouds up your tank. i would setup an autotopoff system and maintain calcium, alk, and ph with kalk and use calcium chloride to boost Ca to levels desired, baking soda for Alk and epsom salt + MgCl 2 part solution to boost Mg to desired level. also you want to make sure your nutrients are low, such as phosphate, as well as good lighting and it'll grow so fast you will be wishing you never wanted the stupid purple stuff in the first place

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

^^^^ good info on kalk so read up!!!