PDA

View Full Version : Very confused

SheilaF
03/31/2009, 08:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out a decent HOB skimmer for my 55g reef. I currently use a coralife super skimmer 220 (in sump) on my current reef and am fairly happy with it. My tank is doing well, the skimmer pulls out a lot of crap and it is quiet.

I've been trying to find a decent skimmer (on a budget of about $200) that works relatively well (it doesn't have to be the best thing ever), keeps my reef healthy and very importantly is quiet since it will be in my living room.

I've looked at:
Red sea Prizm
Aqua C remora (w/ maxijet 1200)
coralife super skimmer 65
sea clone

I've heard good an bad things about each of these. Can anyone give me an idea as to which will fit my needs the best?

I also recently was told about this one:
http://progressivereef.com/proddetail.php?prod=OCTBH100F
Any good? Anyone try it?

I just don't know what to go with, so any help would be great!

skriz
03/31/2009, 08:47 PM
I would definately skip the seaclone. In fact, the hob's aren't going to do much for you.

If you're running a ss220, then why are you looking to downgrade? Since you have a sump, why don't you just go with a better in sump model? Or better yet, a great out of sump model?

SheilaF
03/31/2009, 09:28 PM
I won't have a sump on the new tank, Which is why I need a HOB model. I know they aren't as good as the in sump ones but I figure something is better than nothing. I just want to find something somewhat decent that will be quiet.

SheilaF
04/01/2009, 05:31 AM
Does it matter that I'm only having sps and softies in my tank?

noboddi
04/01/2009, 07:58 AM
Look at a Reef Octo BH1000 or BH2000. The only difference between the two skimmers is the pump, one is an OTP 1000, one is an OTP2000

I have a BH2000, and its is very good.

watergator
04/01/2009, 09:46 AM
Skip the Aqua C (they look cool and are built well, but they don't work that great). They take a couple of days to start producing and will abruptly stop producing for no apparent reason.

SheilaF
04/01/2009, 07:28 PM
Why is the word sump switched to christmas tree stand? Am I missing something?

wattsupdoc
04/01/2009, 07:44 PM
I am wondering the same thing Sheila (xmas tree stand that is)

crashrat
04/01/2009, 08:23 PM
Octo 800s, best HOB for the buck.

pjf
04/01/2009, 08:38 PM
Here is a selection of 8 HOB protein skimmers that includes the BH-100F at a lower cost ($159.95): http://www.aquacave.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=632.

The site also posts user comments on the skimmers. Do read the comments before making a decision. My advice is to choose a protein skimmer with a surface skimming box and a generous collection cup.

E.intheC
04/02/2009, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't bother with any of the above mentioned skimmers. I had the Aqua C Remora and was not happy with it at all. If you can squeeze a few extra dollars into your budget (prolong buying a coral or fish for a few months or something) you could get a Warner Marine HOB skimmer. Or you could get the Tunze 9005, an in-tank or in-sump skimmer. Those are the two I'd recommend.

A skimmer is one of the most important pieces of your reef. Don't skimp on this.

Alaskan Reefer
04/03/2009, 01:53 AM
Agree with E.intheC. Skimmer is your most important piece of filtration equipment, skimp elsewhere and get the best for your system possible. For this question though, I think the hard part will be finding a quiet HOB skimmer that actually works -- not an easy combination. FWIW I have a Remora Pro on a 20 gallon hex and it does an outstanding job. Noisy though, and it would probably be borderline adequate for a 55.

MatthewLaw
04/03/2009, 04:55 AM
i have an aqua c remora on my 50g and it works excllent. literally plug and play!

GSMguy
04/03/2009, 07:38 AM
Most hang on skimmers are placebo effect skimmers, people see what they want to see.

Good hang ons include the tunzes, deltec mce 600, and the ATB multi.

crashrat
04/03/2009, 07:44 AM
I hope you're not even more confused.......

Guygettnby
04/03/2009, 10:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14752197#post14752197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
Most hang on skimmers are placebo effect skimmers, people see what they want to see.

i agree with this to a point. but there are exceptions to this statment.

i have had several HOB skimmers and i only really hated 1 of them wich was the seaclone.

i used the coral life 65 SS and it worked great for me. never had a single problem with it and the guy who i sold my tank to still uses this skimmer and absolutely loves it. only downfall to this skimmer is it has alot of junk in the tank. this was on a 30g tank.

secondly i use the Prizm skimmer on 3 tanks and have used them for years. i could not be happier with them for my application. but anything over a 30g tank it is usless. these are great for nano tanks but nothing more. they are currently on a 12g AP, 24g AP and 20L frag tank.