PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of vermetid snails

engine
03/31/2009, 08:28 PM
I've got vermetid snails all over my tank. For those that don't know, they look like little spikes on your rock and eject mucus to catch particles in the water, it looks sort of like spider webs all over the rocks.
I've done some research and found that Copper Band Butterflies MAY eat these snails but does anybody know any other ways to get rid of them reef safe or not, it doesnt matter.

Thanks in advance, Eric

MartinEric
04/02/2009, 02:16 AM
You can crush the tube with your fingers, or a pair of tongs and pull it out of the tank.

finsurgeon
04/04/2009, 05:45 PM
It takes a pair of "coral cutters" (toenail clippers), or a screw driver.

cubsFAN
04/05/2009, 10:39 PM
i hate them. less food for the tank. lots of water changes. ive lowered my numbers but they still are a problem. ive heard people break off the tubes and then put superglue over them, but i had too many in my tank to do this. ive heard of different fish that eat them, but im not sure if any do. the cbb seems like it might. just breaking off the tubes does nothing they just suck back in further. im still at it. things arent nearly as bad as they used to be. i removed my fish and didnt feed the tank for 2-3 weeks. i hate them. but...

TOMORROWS OPENING DAY!!! LETS GO CUBBIES!!!

finsurgeon
04/06/2009, 10:40 PM
Ya gotta smash or cut the tube down where the worm is. If you surprise them, you can get them with a quick cut up on the tube, but if they guess you're coming, they retract down into the base - still smashable, but more work. If reachable, the screwdriver may unstick the entire construct from the rock, but don't leave it in the tank, take it out and smash it.

finsurgeon
04/06/2009, 10:41 PM
By the way, my CBB never looked twice, though he did eliminate my aiptasia completely.

engine
04/08/2009, 09:43 PM
they are all over my rocks, so the super glue thing isnt going to work. I already tried to break them off, but they came right back. I guess ill just try to cut back on feeding and more water changes which i dont thing will help, but its the best I can do

Sculp1n
04/10/2009, 12:06 AM
I feel ya, I hate these things too and there seems to be no one good way to kill them all. I wish there was some kind of nudi or crab that would kill em', that would be sweeeeet.

Sculp1n

volcom69
04/10/2009, 03:56 PM
Yep im in the same boat as you guys are, worst part is the tank looks so ugly when the mucus is all over place esp. all over my sps. I just got a goby and when he creates alittle snow storm the mucus is everywhere grrr. So today i used coral cutters and i crushed them and pulled them out, and if i didnt pull them out i crushed the live rock where they were. I know i didnt get them all but its a start and im sick of them already.