PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Moray In A Reef? Is It Possible?

jwilliams860
03/31/2009, 08:57 PM
I currently have a 300 gallon aquarium, that has a bunch of different fish and also has my 32" Zebra eel in it also, I have a 120 Reef tank, that Im wanting to combine wth my 300 and get rid of the 120, my question concerns the eel and some of my reef inhabitants.He has never eaten anything but frozen shrimp, silversides or clams, always prepared food, never live fish or dead fish from the tank.The eel doesnt chase my existing fish or snails or hermits in the 300, I have a mandarin goby, a pair of harlequin shrimp, some cucumbers and a cleaner shrimp,so Im wondering if anyone else has had success with an eel in a reef, or willhe have to go when the move is official?

JasonD
03/31/2009, 11:01 PM
I can answer this one. I have a 24" zebra in my 120 gallon reef, now trying to get him out. "First he'll eat all your shrimp, and I put a brittle star in my tank and the zebra ate him. Plus he'll rearange your rock work. Cucumber should be ok though, as well as your fish. Cool animal but belongs in fish only tanks.

Jason

jwilliams860
04/01/2009, 01:56 PM
Well hes been in my tank for about 5 years now, so I think hes arranged the rocks how he wants them, I dont have any stars for him to eat yet, the only shrimp I have are 2 harlequins and one cleaner and a pistol shrimp, do you think he will activley hunt them at night? How long has your eel been in your reef tank?

JasonD
04/01/2009, 01:58 PM
I've found my Zebra to be a relentless hunter if he gets a little hungry. Now if you stuff him all the time maybe he'll be less likely to hunt, be he is a very efficient predator and can smell out anything that remotely looks edible. You can try it, but in your mind you'll have to sacrifice the shrimp.

Jason

jwilliams860
04/01/2009, 02:11 PM
Ok thanks for the info, I just dont know what to do, I have had the eel for so long and hes been a model citizen, and I hate to have to get rid of him.