PDA

View Full Version : AC Jr. Computer Connectivity

Cozmo4
04/01/2009, 04:17 PM
I recently purchased an AC Jr with the serial port for a new tank I've got on order (so I haven't connected the controller yet). Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a serial to USB adapter and then a USB wireless network adapter to the unit to "talk" to it through a computer? I'd love to be able to remotely access the AC Jr. and monitor everything, but don't have a feasible way to hard wire it to a computer.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something like I described will work. Thanks for any tips or advice!

TulsaReefer
04/03/2009, 09:05 PM
You won't be able to do that directly using a Serial to USB and then USB wireless adapter. USB Wireless connector adapter and serial adapter are both USB devices, but not hosts, so they won't talk to each other. There are serial to wireless ethernet adapters, but they cost around $200 most times (or more). A while back there was someone who modified a home wireless router to have a serial port, but I haven't seen much on the thread lately, it's somewhere back in the history on this forum.

I tried to do this last summer with a serial to bluetooth adapter, and it worked, until I added a serial isolator and then it didn't work any more. I never bothered to try to work out if a different serial isolator might work as I decided to just connect up an old laptop I already had to do the job.

d0ughb0y
04/03/2009, 11:28 PM
Your best bet is the bluetooth serial adaptor.
Lee is right that it does not work with the serial isolator, but the good thing is, it is not needed. I have been using this setup for a few weeks and seems to be stable.

Cozmo4
04/04/2009, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll look at Bluetooth.

jollygreensg
04/04/2009, 12:00 PM
with the bluetooth connectivity, have you been able to remotely access it through your router over the net?

d0ughb0y
04/04/2009, 02:14 PM
yes, I wrote a simple software to provide the web interface so I can monitor and control from the web, specifically on my cell phone.

jefathome
04/07/2009, 08:57 AM
tagging along