PDA

View Full Version : Running Carbon in your Nano

jpeggerling
04/01/2009, 08:58 PM
I was just wondering who is running Carbon in there nano.

I have been thinking about buying a HOB filter to run once a week every month with carbon. I have a 24 AP. What Carbon filter would you guys recommend?

Or do you guys have any Ideas or Mods on running carbon?

Thanks-John

sabazerehi
04/01/2009, 09:37 PM
i run carbon in my nano all the time. you can buy a little filter bag from like petco or something and fill it up with activated carbon and just put it in one of the chambers in the back of the tank, i throw some filter floss on top of it too. and then just change the carbon out about every 4 weeks and the filter floss when it gets nasty, probably once a week. my friend and i have been using this technique with our nanos for years and they're doing great. just stay on top of changing out the carbon, otherwise it can start to leak back nitrates into your tank. running a skimmer or a job filter once a month only won't make much of a difference.

gas4544
04/01/2009, 10:28 PM
Bulk Reef Supply sells a nice single or dual carbon and/or GFO reactors. See:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/index.html

I am running a dual BRS reactor on my 30 gallon AIO tank. I am running carbon in the first reactor chamber and GFO and carbon in the second chamber. By running the water through carbon, GFO, and then carbon, I can extend the life of the GFO by not allowing it to get gunked up with detritus.

I am also running a Bermuda Aquatics Rogue HO skimmer on my tank and have a six gallon integral refugium full of chaeto and other macroalgae. My water is very clear, yet I still have filter feeding sponges and dusters in my tank. I feed kinda heavily and all of my coral are happy.

Gary

Flipper62
04/01/2009, 10:55 PM
I used to run carbon in a small media bag in the back middle chamber & as sabazerehi said I also used some filter floss on the top of that grate. I switched to a product called PURA-COMPLETE. It works like carbon, but you dont have to change it out for 3 to 4 months. IMO, the carbon seemed to keep the water more clear.....SO I had a idea. I now use a combo of 50/50...carbon & pura-complete. I do water changes every 2 weeks & I change out the 50/50 media every 2nd water change ( 4 weeks ). The water is so crystal clear it looks fake.......It works for me

Rhizo
04/02/2009, 12:22 AM
To my understanding carbon is just carbon. Never saw a difference from brand A to B.

MJT82
04/02/2009, 06:38 AM
On my nano I use a Phosban reactor for running carbon... I like gas4544's setup a bit better though... I'd love to learn more about those BRS reactors!

lucas73
04/02/2009, 02:45 PM
I"ve ran carbon since I started my tank,I use ROX 0.8 in a 100 micron media bag.Water is crystal clear.

itsdarrow
04/02/2009, 04:33 PM
Best way to run carbon in a nano is the saphirre aquatics nano reactor, I run 2 on my cadlights for carbon and GFO, and i used one that fit in the back chamber of my biocube 29 for carbon. I would totally reccomend them worth every penny

MattG
04/03/2009, 11:17 AM
Im using Bulk reef supply's ROX carbon in a deletc fluidized reactor. Works great.

cthedaytrader
04/03/2009, 12:45 PM
I run carbon 24/7 on my nano my tank is always is always much better when the carbon is running especially when it is freshly changed.

I try and change it every two weeks, sometimes three. I know if that ocean smell gets too strong in the tank I waited too long to change my carbon :) Once I change it the smell disappears and my water is crystal clear.

I run it with a two little fishies phosban reactor in-line with phosban in the second reactor. Although I do like that Bulk reef supply one.

reeferguy9
04/03/2009, 12:51 PM
Like others have said I run carbon 24x7 as well, I usually pick up whatever is cheaper that I can get my hands on. Water is always crystal clear and I think a large part of that is because im running carbon.

basser1
04/03/2009, 02:12 PM
I run a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite in my 29 gallon Biocube all the time. It's like carbon on roids!! My water looks crystal clear and has a polished look to it. I change it out every 3-4 months!

AG84
04/03/2009, 03:09 PM
I run carbon on my 24g 24/7

I have learned that avtivated carbon will not leach out into the water if not changed, if its not changed it will just turn into a big biological filtration meathod.

MJT82
04/04/2009, 08:42 AM
For those of you who run Phosban reactors in sequence, what size pump are you using to do so?

jpeggerling
04/04/2009, 06:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14758757#post14758757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJT82
For those of you who run Phosban reactors in sequence, what size pump are you using to do so?

Great Question!! I was just going to ask the same thing

cthedaytrader
04/04/2009, 07:36 PM
I use a MJ 400 and dial it down with the ball valve that comes with it. You run the carbon first and then the phosban andI turn it on until I just start to see the phosban tumble.

Has worked great for me since I set it up.

Dave Harms
04/04/2009, 07:41 PM
I run carbon in my canister filter 24/7.