PDA

View Full Version : sump/fuge??

raska5
04/03/2009, 06:20 PM
I am wanting to get some soft corals. I have had a 90 gal fowlr tank going for about 4 years now. When I started this I bought the tank used and was going to do a fw tank since that is all I had known. I decided to go ahead a do a sw tank instead and I absolutely love it.

My question is, do I need a sump/fuge? Since my tank isn't drilled I know I'd have to do a hob type of overflow and it really seems complicated and to be honest a little scary. I'm so afraid of leaks, flooding, etc.

Should I just forget the idea of having corals until I can afford to upgrade to a drilled tank with sump/fuge. Would the fish and corals do better? I would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance.

Cbravo212
04/03/2009, 06:31 PM
Take a look at the overflow kits at glass holes. They come complete with the drill bit and all. I did mine like that at it looks great.

Andrew
04/03/2009, 06:33 PM
Generally speaking, Nope. A sump and Fuge is not a needed part of equipment for a sustainable tank. A fuge just helps clean up your system some more and the microalgae helps stable the tank some. A sump does work wonders and helps clean up the outside of the tank a little more and helps hide your skimmer and ect. As long as a HOB overflow is set up correctly you will never have to worry about floods. I ran one for 4 years without a problem. Even left it running while I was on vacation.

drparker
04/03/2009, 06:38 PM
A sump is not an absolute requirement but does have many advantages. More space for equipment, more water volume, better skimmers than HOB ones. I'm not sure the HOB skimmers are big enough for a 90, that would be my only concern. Before I went with a drilled tank I had a HOB overflow and as long as you get a good one then there's nothing to be scared about and they are really simple just look complicated.

raska5
04/03/2009, 06:39 PM
Drilling my tank is REALLY scary to me. For many reasons, cracking the glass, having to empty my tanks and store my livestock until its done, etc.

Does the sump/fuge help with filtration? Somebody recommended that I get rid of my cannister filter. I know the skimmer is underated for my 90 gal and I am wanting to upgrade that but with regular water changes, scrubbing of glass, etc my nitrates are always between 5 and 10 at the highest.

PRDubois
04/03/2009, 06:54 PM
No you do not need one.

A Sump will:
Add water volume
Hide Equipment
Add Filtration

Aquarist007
04/03/2009, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14756094#post14756094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raska5
Drilling my tank is REALLY scary to me. For many reasons, cracking the glass, having to empty my tanks and store my livestock until its done, etc.

Does the sump/fuge help with filtration? Somebody recommended that I get rid of my cannister filter. I know the skimmer is underated for my 90 gal and I am wanting to upgrade that but with regular water changes, scrubbing of glass, etc my nitrates are always between 5 and 10 at the highest.

you can get an external overflow for the tank and don't need to drill.
the fuge helps with filtration in that the macro algae that you grow in there eg cheato adsorbs nitrates and phosphates.
A skimmer takes out other dissolved organics and a touch of nitrates and phosphates
Running carbon takes out dissolved organics and a trace of phosphates and nitrated
Running phosban removes phosphates

A sump is just a resevoir but it can give you a spot to hang phosban and carbon reactors and house your protein skimmer and tank heater. This clears up the main tank from all this stuff hanging on the side.

You can run part of your sump as the refugium and you have more of the bases covered.

That said --not to lose perspective that the best biological filtration on your system is quality live rock and a sand bed.