PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a mainly Gorgonian tank?

ironmics
04/04/2009, 02:04 AM
Hi all, I have started planning my next tank. I'm thinking about doing a Caribbean biotope with only jawfish and mainly NPS gorgonia as coral. I've been looking around and trying to get as much info as I can on NPS(never kept any), and good flow and lots of feeding seems to be the best advice.

I was thinking this could best be accomplished with a continuous feeding device and a wave maker. Is there any instructions out there on making a feeding device? I was thinking something along the lines of a gravity fed system with some sort of stirring device to keep food in solution.

Also, are there any reasonable priced wave makers out there that you all would recommend. I would love to go with a wave box, but they are quite spendy.

I was thinking about going with very minimal rock work(this is what jawfish natural habitat seems to be) so every area of the tank could be hit with good flow. This would mean most coral would be placed on the sand. Are there species out there that prefer this location more than others? Are there any species that would hate this placement?

I won't have this tank for quite awhile, so I'm doing as much research as possible, and all help is greatly appreciated.

aninjaatemyshoe
04/05/2009, 03:37 PM
Here's what I do:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1364391

dendro982
04/06/2009, 05:12 AM
Here, at Non-photosynthetic corals forum, was posted tank for Caribbean yellow Diodogorgia nodulifera, somewhere not too far from beginning. Don't have a link at hand, sorry.