PDA

View Full Version : pistol shrimp

flameangel9
04/04/2009, 06:53 AM
Question about pistol shrimp. I know they will kill cleaner shrimp but I've see them in tanks with coral banded shrimps and fire shrimp. Are they o.k. with these shrimp?

SNAKEMANVET
04/04/2009, 10:39 AM
I have a 3'' tiger pistol with my cleaner shrimp in a 12 gallon nano.They got along great.Just make sure you get a pistol that will pair up with a goby.Some pistols will kill small fish.

singold
04/05/2009, 10:32 AM
I have successfully had a Pistol Shrimp in tank with a Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp for over a year. My Pistol Shrimp is paired with a YWG. The Pistol Shrimp is very shy & the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp is quite bold, not in bad way, but bold. When I feed tank it is more than happy to go after the food along with all the fish.

geffhardy2
04/05/2009, 02:11 PM
Coral bandit shrimp will try to kill a cleaner anytime they see it. Their are the one to worry about killing shrimp. I have 2 tiger pistal shrimp and they have never seen each other in a 55gal for about 3 months now.. Their are still some inverts in my tank that have never seen the pistols yet. Basically they should not attack anybody . They don't usally travel to far from their burrow before darting back with lighting speed. If you want to pair a goby with a pistal shrimp don't get a bulls-eye pistal. They are one of the few pistal shrimp that don't really like sleeping with gobies. They are red and blue with a black dot on the side . I would stay away from japenese pistal shrimp to. Go for a tiger pistal shrimp.

pb4ugoout
04/05/2009, 02:43 PM
Why would you suggest staying again from Japanese Pistols? I recently got one with a Yellow Watchman Goby. I've seen the shrimp pop at a few hermits but only when they are entering his burrow. I also have a Peppermint and a Fire Shrimp and he hasn't bothered them at all.

ecomdesign
04/05/2009, 05:08 PM
I bought 3 cleaner shrimp last weekend to put in my tank with a coral banded shrimp. 1 cleaner disappeared the other day, but I think it might have been the anemone that got him. For some strange reason all the cleaners have picked a cave right under the anemone. The coral banded doesn't seem to bother with them very much at all.