PDA

View Full Version : Solana or...

Gator Pit
04/04/2009, 07:38 AM
Solana or something else? I currently have a JBJ 12gal dx but would like to upgrade. I like the cube idea and self contained filtration. Also like the idea of a hanging light fixture (MH) to provide lots of light without the heat issue. Opinions please. What else is out there that's comparable/better?

ace1204
04/04/2009, 07:53 AM
Solana for the price

Penguintheory
04/04/2009, 12:25 PM
My solana has been my only AIO tank but I have had many other tanks and this one is by far the best . To me it looks awesome, easy to work on and can be upgraded very easy if you want. Right now mine is completely stock with DIY MH fixture and I have softy's, zoa's, and sps with no problems.

Gator Pit
04/06/2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks. I'll be looking for one then.

Blev
04/06/2009, 10:59 AM
I love the look of the Sol but I need better light options. IMO the only reason to get the Sol is for the open top/rimless look. Which means you have to go with a pendent if you wanna take true advantage of the look. Throwing a sunpod on the thing, IMO, ruins the overall rimless look. Hanging one looks OK, but still takes away from the high-end design. The pendants, again IMO, are lacking the nice features some of the other "kits" have. PC and lunar lights...

The beautiful, simplistic design of the Solano 34 is taken away once you add all the features some of the others already have.

Gator Pit
04/06/2009, 12:12 PM
I would agree with you on the lighting issue. I plan on making my own pendant w/mh and some actinics. I already have most of the supplies.

Blev
04/06/2009, 12:30 PM
What are your ideas?

Peoria?

I grew up in Galesburg and now live in Evansville. I'll actually be driving through there this weekend to go and see the family. Any good LPS's around there?

Sorry for the thread jack. But, if you have some good ideas for lightening I'd love to hear them. I'm still struggling on what tank to buy...

E.intheC
04/07/2009, 04:20 PM
I really like the solanas, and think the Sunpod looks great over top. It's an excellent light fixture, for what it's worth.

DIY light canopy .. that's also an interesting idea