PDA

View Full Version : PH pobe control - Ca reactor vs Tank?

BigMc
04/04/2009, 08:44 AM
I'm new to PH controllers and need some help. I have my AC3 "monitoring" the PH in my tank and in my Ca reactor. I currently am having it "control" the Co2 based on the Ca reactor reading somewhere between 6.4 and 6.8.

This is not helping to stabilize the Ph in my tank (which I would like around 8.3- 8.4 but runs lower) and from my reading many people go by the PH in their tank to set up the Aquacontroller parameters to control the Co2. I don't understand how this works.

I would really appreciate any advice!

Rizup
04/09/2009, 02:24 PM
You are controlling the CO2 correctly. The effluent from the reactor will have a low pH due to the CO2, therefore lowering the pH in your tank, not helping to stabilize it.

People that do not have the ability to monitor the reactor with a pH probe will drip their effluent into a vessel of some sort where they can monitor the pH of the effluent and control the CO2 that way. This vessel would then overflow into their sump.

You can have the AC3 shut off the feed pump to your reactor if you tank pH gets too low, but then your Calcium and Alkalinity will obviously be affected.

You could also dose kalk to raise the ph. Since you have the AC3, you could have your top off water run through a kalk reactor if your pH is lower than you want or straight from your top off container if the pH is fine. This of course assumes you have an ATO and a way to add kalk separate from the ATO container.

Mike

BigMc
04/11/2009, 08:13 PM
Thank you Mike, I think I've got it pretty stable now and I'm fairly satisfied with a PH of around 6.5 in the Ca reactor and 8.1-8.2 in the tank. From what I've read that PH is not that bad.

Rizup
04/11/2009, 10:08 PM
Sounds like you are in good shape.

Ricardo_Jorge
04/17/2009, 09:54 AM
The effluent of the Ca Reactor, althought have a low pH, it also have a high Alk.

When this effluent overflows into the sump, the pH is already balanced with the Alk and the effect in the system is minimum.

You can run your reactor 24/7. For better results and stable pH, dose kalk only at night. To prevent the pH drop.

Hug