PDA

View Full Version : Self contained advanced reef tank possible?

mmfish
04/04/2009, 04:19 PM
Is it possible to maintain an advanced reef ecosystem with evrything housed in the stand? I am planning a 125gal tank and want to keep everything in the stand, am I realistic?

LEGENDARY_ENG
04/04/2009, 06:17 PM
add about 2 foot to each side of the stand lots of room under and on each side. stock stand is worthless no room

Nanook
04/04/2009, 08:08 PM
[moved]

GSMguy
04/04/2009, 08:11 PM
very possible if you keep it simple.

luther1200
04/04/2009, 08:13 PM
Depends on what exactly you want to have in there.

jenglish
04/04/2009, 08:46 PM
I guess that depends on what you mean by self contained and ecosystem. Can all the equipment fit under the stand? Yes if you build it right. If you are asking if you can setup a system that is a completely closed ecosystem requiring no maintenance then the answer is no. I think you are asking the first one but I wanted to be clear. :)

ludnix
04/04/2009, 08:53 PM
All of my 120's equipment is inside the stand. The test kits and algae scrubbers and other misc cleaning are in a separate box though.

GSMguy
04/04/2009, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14761887#post14761887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Depends on what exactly you want to have in there.

not really, i mean the size of the aquarium will dictate that more than being limited to keeping all the equipment in the sump...

mmfish
04/04/2009, 09:25 PM
I mean all the equipment necessary for supporting a reef can fit in the stand? I plan on a sump, skimmer, calcium reactor, top-off container.

LobsterOfJustice
04/04/2009, 09:53 PM
Topoff container is the hardest part IMO, anything small enough to fit in the stand only lasts a few days. Skimmer can go in the sump, reactor can go next to it. Don't forget about all the electrical, that takes up space too (especially ballasts).

widmer
04/04/2009, 11:53 PM
I'm sorry but I've got to know - 30 years of experience? The original question feels more like it's based on 1 week's experience...:hmm5:

mmfish
04/05/2009, 01:31 AM
Sure, when I first started w aquariums 30 years ago canister filters were state if the art. I ran a marine tank with only a canister filter. This is my 1st foray into "modern" reef keeping with my kids now going to college.

tkeracer619
04/05/2009, 01:39 AM
My 360 has all its equipment other then water change water under the stand and RO under the sink. Make the stand taller, no need to go longer as your sump wont be the same size as your tank.

What I have under the tank...

6' 125g sump
Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor w/20lb bottle
Octopus DDNW-250 Skimmer
PM XL-1 Skimmer (behind tank)
Kalk Reactor
2x UV sterilizers
External Return Pumps
Electronics / Power Supplies
Media Reactors
Pile of random junk
Room for more junk when I need it.

snorvich
04/05/2009, 05:07 AM
Ok, let me be a contrarian here. I recommend keeping all equipment in the basement. Makes life much easier. It does require a return pump that has sufficient head, however.

Mouse
04/05/2009, 08:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14762231#post14762231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
not really, i mean the size of the aquarium will dictate that more than being limited to keeping all the equipment in the sump...

I would disagree on this, its the size of the stand that would determine if it would all fit. We just assume he wants the stand the same size as the tank :D

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 08:16 AM
no, the size of the stand will dictate what equipment to buy not whether it will fit...

splitting Hairs, the FACT is that it can be done....

LunarDDS
04/05/2009, 08:50 AM
The biggest problem is the calcium reactor and maintaining sump size. If you use an external skimmer and return pump you may be able to squeeze it. Make a shelf that would sit above the sump/refugium and put a water container there for the top off. If not then scrap the calcium reactor and use 2 part with dosing pumps. Will save room and still require minimal upkeep.

luther1200
04/05/2009, 08:54 AM
I do think it entirely depends on what you want to have in there. If you don't need a cooler for exmple, that is a bulky piece of equipment. Also wheither or not you are going to manually dose CA/Alk, or go with a Ca reactor, or Kalk reactor, or a drip container, or a dosing pump from and ATO. Also if you are going to have an internal/external skimmer, or internal/external return pump. So depending on what exactly you want is the main factor IMO.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 08:56 AM
Problem solved; don't use a reactor, he can do 2 part dosing with a small dosing pump...

Calcium reactors are not the only way to keep all and CA stable.

LobsterOfJustice
04/05/2009, 09:31 AM
Also keep in mind where you are going to mix up new saltwater for a water change.

mmfish
04/05/2009, 09:47 AM
The key is to plan carefully and not go nuts with equipment. The stand should match the equipment used, and with the variety of equipment it should work. Yes it's better to have a basement room for all the stuff you can use with a reef tank. Keep in mind, as soon as you finish building, plumbing, buying, and setting up that basement aquarium support system, the clock starts ticking on when it will be broken down, or more often abandoned. Yes, I know most people that had a glorious build in system with all equipment in the basement could not take it when they moved, and we will all be moving one day, by the way. The sad part, I have observed, is that the new home owner just trashes the aquarium system as it is worthless at that point. My brother-in-law had a beautiful fish-only marine tank build into his study (in wall) maybe 250-300 gallons, with everything in a basement room. An aquarium service took care of it. When he was forced to move (downturn in his business-wow that's not so unusual) he offered me the system, as he could not take it or afford to extract it. I decided it was not practical, and the new owner ripped out the system and trashed it, which costs a lot of money too.

I want everything in a stand so if I move and can take it all with me, and set it up again. Thanks everyone.

rendogg
04/05/2009, 10:05 AM
I have a 135g. upstairs and it's all self contained except electrical. My ballasts, power bars, and controllers are external to prevent damage from salt creep, potential spills, and limit the heat created by the ballasts. In the cabinet there is a sump with an in-sump skimmer, external return pump, Ca reactor, and phosphate reactor. My sump is divided and has a fuge area separate from the skimmer. My intention was to put a long shallow reservoir above my sump for ATO but it has yet to be done, it would fit but would probably only hold 5-10 gallons, it might be better to have an external reservoir or plumb your RO/DI straight to your tank. Right now I still manually top up this tank and it's a PITA. I hope this helps.:)

Arati
04/05/2009, 10:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14763300#post14763300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Ok, let me be a contrarian here. I recommend keeping all equipment in the basement. Makes life much easier. It does require a return pump that has sufficient head, however.

Lets be realistic, If you want to go with an advanced system you need more room. You will want Halides and a chiller and a reactor

I want to ask the OP where he lives. I could never get my Chiller under my tank , with a reactor and a sump for macro. Room for a decent amount of top off water. a QT for new/sick fish. a frag area...dont be a slob and put a frag rack in your display. media reactors electric outlets.

I would say you can pull it off , but its not worth it if you have a basment. It so much nicer to not be trying to work inside a stand.

rendogg
04/05/2009, 10:12 AM
I could have saved even more space by using an in-sump return pump, then there would be room for a kalk mixer.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 10:15 AM
this is rediculous, chillers are not necessary if he buys efficent equipment.

All he needs Is a couple well placed fans and a controller.

If he uses a powermodule or constellation t5 setup and low wattage return pumps/ powerheads, heat won't be a problem at all.

Philwd
04/05/2009, 10:16 AM
Everything in my system, except for the RO/DI, fits under the stand. 150G 5 ft long. Topoff container holds enough for 4 days. No chiller. Use Vortechs, external return, open top and back canopy and sump fans. LM3 system for Alk/Ca. 2 fluidized reactors in sump for GFO and carbon. Use ATB small skimmer to get the best skimming for the size.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 10:18 AM
Exactly...it is 2009 and all we should all be thinking efficency first. Electricity ain't getting cheaper....

Arati
04/05/2009, 10:53 AM
Calling people rediculous doesnt make your opinion any better. I salute the poeple who do keep it all under the stand. However I give advice based on my expriance and thats all I can do. IME its better to have more room and if its possible it sure is easier to have it in a cellar.

As for saving money by increasing your efficency, well here we go again. Things really dont work that way, maybe short term for individuals but not as a whole . Its a nice Ideal, but its a buncha bull. Once everyone spends the cash to buy the more efficiant equipment then the prices go up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/nyregion/03water.html?ref=todayspaper

IMO build the best sytem you can and make it as easy to use /maintian and work on as you can. and then look for ways to conserve. not the other way around.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 11:54 AM
I didn't call anyONE rediculous, I contend that you can build an energy efficent tank for the same or less money as a traditional energy hogging system. We don't all have fishrooms...

He asked if it was possible I say yes, absolutely it is possible, and not incredibly difficult.

I don't think that keeping equipment under the stand will limit his ability to keep anything he likes.

kfick
04/05/2009, 12:18 PM
Chillers are an interesting topic, especially if you've never lived in California, Nevada or Arizona. It must be like living in a sauna to evap a tank enough keep a tank within reason in some areas that hit 115+ outside. It might be cheaper to keep the A/C set at 85 and run a chiller than try to keep the house at 78 and evap several gallons a day.

I always see tanks on here with 300w closed loop pumps and downdraft skimmers with huge Iwakis on them and that stuff just wouldn't fly out west.

Careful equipment choice and use of fans does make all the difference in the world to keep a chiller out of use, but I'd argue that the safety net is very valuable.

GSMguy
04/05/2009, 12:28 PM
Or just set your aquacontroller to turn off the lights above a set temperature.

I have lived in arizona, new Mexico, Nevada and Florida, houses in those climates are usually kept cooler than a house in say upstate Ny in the dead of summer. I've seen a few setups where the chiller added most of the heat removed right back to the tank because it was cramped in the stand with no ventilation.

kfick
04/05/2009, 12:59 PM
I hear ya. I can't imagine being in NY without A/C and having no way to pull the water out of the air in your house.

luther1200
04/05/2009, 04:59 PM
I have 2-150w MH on a 65 with no chiller. And they are only 4-5" off the surface.

crvz
04/06/2009, 07:00 AM
All of my hardware, with the exception of the RO/DI unit, is contained in the stand. This includes a 80 gallon sump, calcium reactor, fan, ballasts, controller, skimmer, kalkreactor, all electrical, etc. The display is a 150 (5'x2'x2') with a 43" tall stand. I employ a 3 fault tolerant auto top-off that does attach directly to the RO/DI unit, which I fully appreciate the risk, but it's worked well for me over the last 4 years that I've used this design. My water changes are done with a brute trash can that I fill in the garage.

so yes, I think you can keep it all together in one spot. click on the red house if you want to see more about my setup.

and snorvich, I'd love to keep everything in the basement, but I live at 22' elevation. Water table is a little too close!

ALH
04/06/2009, 07:40 AM
I have a 180 gallon Uniquarium, with all the filtration in the back partition of the tank. So my stand is very uncluttered:)