PDA

View Full Version : help me, new to sps

scottallert
04/05/2009, 08:31 PM
when you say kalk do you mean the stuf i use to seal my bath tub?

sgwill122
04/05/2009, 08:44 PM
Kalk = kalkwasser which is a german word for calcium water, which is made by adding calcium hydroxide(a dry powder) AKA lime. This is added to a reeftank to boost calcium and alkalinity, it also increases PH. The kalk your thinking of is spelled caulk.

Darkstar22
04/06/2009, 08:35 AM
Description
Main Features

Seachem Reef Kalkwasser is a pure calcium hydroxide with unsurpassed purity and solubility characteristics. This calcium hydroxide meets or exceeds the purity of competing brands designated for reef use. Calcium hydroxide is used to prepare limewater (kalkwasser) solutions that are used in an automated dosing system that replaces evaporated water. Kalkwasser solutions maintain calcium directly and carbonate alkalinity indirectly. However, its capacity to perform these functions is dependent on evaporation rate and CO2 concentration. If these two factors are insufficient you can provide additional calcium with Reef Advantage Calcium, Reef Complete, or Reef Calcium, and carbonate alkalinity with Reef Builder or Reef Carbonate (do not mix these directly with a kalkwasser solution). Reef Kalkwasser can also precipitate phosphates and impurities from the makeup water while maintaining a high pH which is important for proper calcification rates and for oxidizing various organics in reef aquaria. 500 g makes 650 L (166 gallons) of kalkwasser solution.
(this is one of many brands) not an endorsement of this brand just informational..lol

Darkstar22
04/06/2009, 08:44 AM
Mrs. Wages® Pickling Lime
16 oz. (454g)
Mrs. Wages<sup>®</sup> Pickling Lime <br>16 oz. (454g)
Item# W502-10425
$3.90
Product Description
SAVE ON CASE PURCHASES
Now you can order Mrs. Wages in full cases and enjoy price savings.

For pickling cucumbers the old-fashioned way for extra crispness and flavor! Makes Cucumber Lime Pickles (recipe on each canister), Green Tomato Pickles, Watermelon Rinds and Citron Pickles. Food grade calcium hydroxide with no additives or preservatives.

(another alternative) I personally have not tried it, but it does work.

Darkstar22
04/06/2009, 08:46 AM
You can pickle your corals, but don't Kalkwasser your pickles! Sorry couldn't help myself! LOL

longdangler
04/12/2009, 10:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14769760#post14769760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Darkstar22
Mrs. Wages® Pickling Lime
16 oz. (454g)
Mrs. Wages<sup>®</sup> Pickling Lime <br>16 oz. (454g)
Item# W502-10425
$3.90
Product Description
SAVE ON CASE PURCHASES
Now you can order Mrs. Wages in full cases and enjoy price savings.

For pickling cucumbers the old-fashioned way for extra crispness and flavor! Makes Cucumber Lime Pickles (recipe on each canister), Green Tomato Pickles, Watermelon Rinds and Citron Pickles. Food grade calcium hydroxide with no additives or preservatives.

(another alternative) I personally have not tried it, but it does
work.

Works fine. I have used it. Rather buy in bigger bulk. but in between orders, Mrs. Wages is what I use.