PDA

View Full Version : Organophosphates and other demyelinating neurotoxins in my softie/LPS tank?

Monikker
04/05/2009, 10:18 PM
Hi there, Reef Central community,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but advanced topics seemed a good place to start, as the topic is... advanced. ;)

Does anyone have a good reference on the types of neurotoxins that might be found in a typical reef tank? Particularly ones that cause demyelination of the central nervous system. The toxins warning in the Zoanthids forum mentions vascoconstrictor toxins... that's not what I'm looking for.

I have a 29g cube full of zoas, mushrooms, palys, star polyps (lots), a big leather. Also have a large wall hammer and a couple of small acan and favia frags.

I'm good about keeping my hands out of the tank, so have had limited exposure to the critters. Ones I've spent the most time with (from repeated pruning) would be the green star polyps.

I've been having some neurological symptoms for the last few months, and tests show an area of demyelination in my brain (cerebellum in particular), which can be a result of a lot of unpleasant things. One of the most controllable of these would be exposure to organophosphate neurotoxins.

Anyone know any specifics of the toxins likely to be found in a reef tank? Any references would be appreciated, and might help me get to the root of the issue quicker.

-Moni

HighlandReefer
04/06/2009, 04:27 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
To Reef Central

Perhaps some of the links found here will help:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&ei=WNjZSe7vMYrNlQfLrujZDA&resnum=0&q=zoanthids%20toxins&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

saline solution
04/28/2009, 09:46 PM
You are way off base. Better luck up a different tree. If your PCP cant tell you what caused you to get MS or whatever you have, visit him 3 times, and on the 4th visit he has the ability and reason to refer you to a neurologist. If you have seen a neurologist, they have probably already told you that there are several thing that we think may cause MS, but nobody knows for sure. Soft corals have a toxin called palytoxin, it is pretty serious, but the only reactions people get is a rash, or death. Not demyelination. Sorry. Good thought though, way to think outside of the box. If you drink alcohol, or do barbituates you are at a much higher risk of MS, just to give you another tree to bark up. If it is not MS, sorry to waste your time.

billsreef
04/29/2009, 07:27 AM
Organophosphate neurotoxins are also known as pesticides. While there are quite a few organophosphate pesticides manufactured, one is even used as a fish medication, I'm not aware of any being produced by soft corals.