PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrating tank stand

forensicdoc
04/06/2009, 07:53 AM
Here is an interesting problem. One of my tanks is an Oceanic 290 gallon bowfront with a matching stand (also manufactured by Oceanic). One section of the plywood platform the tank is sitting on has started to rot out underneath secondary to water exposure from the sump. I have managed to control the water so the wood has dried out, but it is significantly degenerated. I am now trying to assess the risk of failure of the stand. The structural supports are unaffected and the "rotted" areas of wood appear not to involve the periphery, but only a middle section. The balance of the tank has not shifted at all.

I know with glass tanks the weight is borne along the frame around the edges of the tank and not across the entire bottom, but I am hoping for some confirmation that I do not have to worry about finding my tank on the floor one day. Also, how could you reinforce the stand if there was a need to do so without taking everything apart? Thanks!

SHOmuchFUN
04/06/2009, 08:05 AM
As long as the frame is still in tact and not rotting, I would imagine you'd be fine. Especially if the tank is glass.

Although, I'm not as bad as some of the other worry warts on this board, I'm still a concerned reefer. I still think you'd be okay.

Mark426
04/06/2009, 08:23 AM
Paint it with epoxy, thinned slightly with denatured alcohol...if possible.

kfennell
04/06/2009, 10:10 AM
Wow you talk just like the CSI folk ;)

forensicdoc
04/06/2009, 10:31 AM
I'm from the Quincy generation myself.

kfennell
04/06/2009, 02:18 PM
I would think that the floor isn't too important to the strength of that stand, as long as the floor isn't the only part that ties the support legs together I would think you are ok. Personally I would not apply a sealant etc to the tank while it is set up, perhaps you could get a rubber liner for it to prevent troubles in the future?