PDA

View Full Version : true perc problem (clowns)

BeginnerReefer
04/06/2009, 09:20 PM
Saw black ich on small male clown, did large water change. Now treating with formalin. I have them in a small peaceful spot in the bedroom. Tonight I walked in and turned on the lights to the bedroom, not to the tank, and they where swimming around blindly, running into rock work and sides of the tank. Also they are not eating. Am I doing something wrong, should i be worried about the clowns?

BeginnerReefer
04/06/2009, 09:30 PM
params are:

ph-8.0

alk-2.0

Nitrates- 10

Nitrites- undectable

ammonia- undetectable

xian
04/06/2009, 09:30 PM
Fish do that with sudden light changes. You may want to leave a moonlight on their tank at night.

Give them a couple days and try food again. I have a pair of foxface in QT that I have been giving oral antibiotics. It took them a few days to start eating again.

BeginnerReefer
04/06/2009, 09:32 PM
alright. Thanks. I'll try sticking a nightlight in our bedroom, I have heard about that before... We just moved them up here gettin ready to put our 90 gal in our living room. So from now on this is going to be our QT tank once everything gets set up. Thanks for the info!

xian
04/06/2009, 09:38 PM
What is the SG in that tank? After the clowns calm down are they breathing heavy?

stricknine
04/06/2009, 09:59 PM
Define "black ich". I have a pair of occ. clowns showing black spots and it turned out to be stings. Those goofs try to host in anything you put in the tank. unfortunately they get stung, show a few black spots, and move on. What kind of coral is in the tank? Hopefully they aren't stressed out in a medicated QT for nothing!

BeginnerReefer
04/07/2009, 05:03 AM
No corals. Just FOWLR for right now because I'm pretty sure that my ten gallon just wouldn't work for that. We're waiting on the 90gal to cycle. and SG... ? sorry I'm horrible with abbreviations.. =]

jon1985
04/07/2009, 05:41 AM
I think SG is 'specific gravity' refering to salinity level.

BeginnerReefer
04/07/2009, 08:26 AM
I beleive this morning it was at 1.020 because I'm treating for ich with formalin so I lowered the 'SG' (which I just learned what that means... lol) because Formalin takes oxygen out of the water...

am I correct in doing this?

stricknine
04/07/2009, 08:38 AM
not too sure what formalin is, but do not try to do hyposalinity and medicate. One or the other. (mind you I dont know what formalin is)

xian
04/07/2009, 08:43 AM
Sure but you may want to add an airstone as well. Personally I would lose the formalin and lower the sg to 1.010. This raises O2 and helps to kill the parasites. If the disease doesn't pass use the formalin as a dip.

Are the fish showing signs of stress from the disease?