PDA

View Full Version : Korallin 1502 - CO2 brass check valve issue

BigJay
04/06/2009, 10:51 PM
So my CO2 stopped working altogether today. The bubble rate dropped to nothing. Increasing pressure on the regulator slightly got really terrible results, I would get a steady bubble rate for a few minutes, followed by a huge eruption of CO2, and then it would stop again.

I checked the regulator without the reactor attached, and it is capable of holding a steady bubble rate at a given pressure.

I took the reactor apart and checked everything out, no issues. No problems with the effluent rate or anything. I had an extremely slow drip leak (i.e. the kind where only a little salt creep is visible) on the outlet that I fixed by using a little plumbing tape and tightening the fitting.

I took the brass CO2 check valve off, and I think that's the issue. The thing appears to be rusted inside (I am the second owner, God knows what happened to this thing before). I can run the reactor fine without the valve, but I don't trust that solution long term. The check valve is on there for a reason, presumably to prevent back pressure on the regulator, the needle valve, and the membrane.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

BigJay
04/07/2009, 09:18 AM
Anyone?

Is it possible that the issue could be the regulator as well?

It's a Milwaukee.

Jeremy B.
04/07/2009, 09:23 AM
It's most likely the brass check valve. I have seen them go bad hundreds of times. I recommend replacing them with a high end plastic check valve from Dennerle. They go for around $16 - $20.

JasonD
04/07/2009, 09:32 AM
I've had two brass check valves on my Koralan. The first one rusted out, and the second doesn't really do a good check of the water coming back. I will probably go to plastic in the future since there are no servicable parts inside the check valve that you can service. A waste of $30 if you ask me.

Jason

Garage1217
04/07/2009, 09:46 AM
The brass valves suck, Mine has locked up before as well. I turned up the pressure and now it is stuck open *LOL* Waiting for a plastic valve to come in. I have not witnessed any backflow so I am not worried.

JasonD
04/07/2009, 10:23 AM
The whole thing is riduculous, pay a premium price for Brass get less than premium product.

Jason

Garage1217
04/07/2009, 10:33 AM
I think that particular valve was not designed for a corrosive environment such as saltwater *LOL* I think it was intended for gas use only.

JasonD
04/07/2009, 10:38 AM
I think your right! No saltwater for this valve. But look at it this way . . It makes a nice little $30 paperweight.

Jason:rollface:

BigJay
04/07/2009, 12:22 PM
So my regulator is probably good? It appears to be working fine right now without the check valve in place. If it's possible that the regulator has an issue, I plan to pick up a reef fanatic regulator. So far I haven't noticed a problem though, since the regulator and PH controller keep the PH right at 6.5 - 6.6.

I haven't noticed any back-siphon toward the regulator, and hopefully that won't happen. I don't want bubble counter fluid in my tank. I ordered the new valve last night.

BigJay
04/07/2009, 12:24 PM
PS: Can I get a URL to one of the plastic gas check valves?

For the price, I can buy a few of them and change them out everytime I refill with media (6 months or so).

JasonD
04/07/2009, 12:29 PM
This is what I just ordered looks good, and no rusting issues!

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M3-DCV&Category_Code=cparts

BigJay
04/07/2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll be picking up one of those as a backup.