PDA

View Full Version : What is difference between a dentrator and a Phosphate reactor

seldin
04/07/2009, 10:45 AM
I posted this in the hardware section but did not get feedback. I am hoping for an explanation on this.

What is difference between a dentrator and a Phosphate reactor

I have read about vodka and sugar dosing. I have seen a product called Aquaripure Denitrator and have seen Phosban reactor 150.

The Aquaripure denitrator feeds by vodka or sugar input and the Phosban uses something like Phosban media.

So I can I make the statement that Carbon dosing removes both nitrates and phosphates and if so why is this.

My question is do both remove the same things. Meaning, I understand that nitrate and phosphate are different, however, do these type of products remove both.

I have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates with my Salifert test kit. Only after I added a good sized clean up crew have my hair algae has gone to almost nothing. However, I would like to eliminate my hair algae to 0 if that is possible.

I have a 55 gallon reef with DSB, sump, and chaeto in the refugium. I have MH/T5 lighting. My parms are as follows:

salt 1.025, ph 8.3, nitrate 0, phosphate 0, calcium 400. I have very few fish. 2 damsels, 1 diamond goby, clown and my cleanup crew, plus cleaner shrimp, fireshrimp and blue star fish (this is new).

My point, is I have very few fish and 0 nitrates and phosphates, but would not mind adding a couple of more fish, if my tank could support it. So I was looking at the aquaripure denitrator and a phosban reactor and not sure if they do different things or remove the same things.

The thing about the Aquaripure Denitrator seems to be that you dose the cartridge so that the vodka stays safe inside the container and should not overdose ( I think).

I am also not sure if I get a benefit from using the Aquaripure Denitrator than just dosing Vodka in my tank with a doser.

Anyway, your feedback it appreciated.

Thank you,

Aquarist007
04/07/2009, 10:58 AM
Running carbon reduces very little nitrates and phosphates. But it does reduce other organic compounds in your system including a group of them that yellow the water.

A phosban reactor will reduce phosphates-----trace nitrates

Your refugium is probably your most effecient reducer of both nitrates and phosphates that you have. This is provided you harvest the chaeto on a regular basis and encourage its growth.

In your particular case your numbers are fine with your biological filtratation so no need to dose with "snake oils" :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/07/2009, 11:05 AM
A denitrator will not typically reduce phosphate appreciably. It's purpose is to reduce/consume nitrate. The bacteria generally do not leave the denitrator is substantial numbers. At least that is my expectation since the flow is so low and the bacteria that would thrive there would not likely be primarily the same ones present in incoming tank water. In a denitrator, bacteria use nitrate as an oxygen source, not just as a source of nutrient nitrogen.

Dosing organic carbon to the tank can reduce both nitrate and phosphate because the growing bacteria that are skimmed out will take up both nutrients and export them via skimming.

syded70
04/07/2009, 08:18 PM
I purchashed this contraption. It takes to much discipline to operate. The output constantly gets plugged up with sulfur rich slime that smells awful. I tested the output frequently and found that there were no nitrates but you have to dose the vodka every four days with a small syringe. It really got to be a pain because i had to adjust the output hose everyday, sometimes twice a day after i put more vodka in the system. I gave up and the filter is sitting alone in a room not being used. Good luck if you purchase this exspensive device. (To me it wasnt worth it)

tmz
04/08/2009, 12:00 AM
Don't know about the Aquapure denitrator.

There is a very good article in Reefkeeeping magazine January issue I believe which explains sulfur denitrators. There is also a large thread on them in the diy forum. I built one based on the thread and had very good results with nitrate reduction. Once I got them to zero, I took the reactor off line.

I use gfo in a phosphate reactor to reduce phosphate.

Currently I dose vodka, vinegar and sugar in relatively small/moderate amounts and run chaetomorpha rufugia to maintain levels in a system with a lrage number of fish and corals.

seldin
04/08/2009, 10:22 AM
Randy, Tom, Capn_hylinur and Syded70,

Thank you very much for this information. I was lost in trying to figure this out. I will also look at the RC issue for January and have read up on the Vodka dosing article on RC.

I also appreciate the vendor info. The vendor mentioned the adjustments were every other day, and based on your feedback, that does seem like a fit for my needs.

The info on the Denitrator was interesting. I originally thought it was great that all of the chemistry was occurring in it's container, but learning that will not be useful for controlling phosphates is not good for me.

Your time has been much appreciated.