PDA

View Full Version : Wish I could try one of these

kirkaz
04/07/2009, 10:00 PM
If only my tank was at a cooler temperature I would love to get one of these guys.....Awesome coloration as adults too, I think they need temps in the low 70's though.:mad:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=781&cid=15

OceanLover2
04/08/2009, 12:16 AM
Actually they are even prettier in person. The orange skin color sort of glows and the spots are vibrant. (They get them at the LFS in Dublin, CA.) When the LFS has them, they are in regular tropical water (not cooled). I don't know if that would have a long term bad effect for them.

However, I have been told they are VERY aggressive so you need to be careful.

Mr. Brooks
04/08/2009, 12:50 AM
They're native to Southern California. I've heard they're caught in Mexico though. They're protected in the States. Slightly warmer water down there. They're probably the hardiest cold water fish you can get. Many people keep them in tropical reef tanks for years. Though some would recommend against it.

IbanezIC300
04/08/2009, 06:01 AM
They are great looking fish, whenever we would get in at the lfs I worked at it had to be alone due to how aggressive it was. Although, the ones I have seen have all been over 5" maybe starting with a smaller one would be better but watch out they get HUGE for a damsel. I always considered adding one to my tank but the size and aggressiveness turned me away.

jmccown
04/08/2009, 06:03 AM
N Y has a big one right now. They look like cichlids to me.

OceanLover2
04/08/2009, 06:42 AM
The ones my LFS gets in are only about the size of a quarter. I haven't seen a big mature one. Maybe their size and aggressiveness is why this post is in the "Aggressive Tanks" setion of RC! :D

jmccown
04/08/2009, 06:53 AM
I have personally seen one in the 7-8" range and it's color was awesome. Very deep orange color. If they weren't so mean I wouldn't care to get one.

kirkaz
04/08/2009, 07:30 AM
I saw them at scripts aquarium in San Diego, they are really beautiful as adults...They can be rather nasty I'm sure, Bob Fenner decribes them as the Damsel with the "get out of my way, I get what I want" attitude. I agree Jason, they do look like a bit like a Cichlid, I love the orange color though
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll101/ksrobey/HA001561.jpg

Eklikewhoa
04/08/2009, 07:48 AM
A LFS brought in several of those.... they were freaking huge!

anbosu
04/08/2009, 07:50 AM
Yeah they look a little like a cross between midas cichlids and parrotfish when they are adults. Really cool fish, but not really practical unless you have a big cold water tank.

OceanLover2
04/08/2009, 08:17 AM
Wow, they are the same orange color I have seen on the small ones but the small ones have metallic blue streaks on their sides. I guess the blue fades away like it does in Clarion Angels.

LukFox
04/08/2009, 11:19 AM
I saw a lot of these guys when I went snorkeling at Catalina island and at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and while they're very pretty I just couldn't imagine having a 12" damsel!

kirkaz
04/08/2009, 12:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14785528#post14785528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LukFox
I saw a lot of these guys when I went snorkeling at Catalina island and at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and while they're very pretty I just couldn't imagine having a 12" damsel!

Hopefully we won't get a post from a newby saying..."My LFS told me to cycle my tank with Damsels, I ordered some from BlueZoo, but I didn't realize they got a foot long!":lol:

Hopefully the high price tag will keep that from happening

michael_cb_125
04/08/2009, 01:26 PM
They remind me exactly of a midas chichlid. And they are probably just as evil>

~Michael

anbosu
04/08/2009, 01:47 PM
The worst cichlid I ever had was a convict cichlid that was a few generations down from my original pair. It had to be kept by itself because it would attack anything no matter what. It was an awesome specimin though with really long dorsal and anal fin streamers, I haven't seen one like it before or since.

My parents have a midas in a 42 bowfront that is about an inch thick. The last one they had got to 12" long before it died...I guess being fed 3 times a day and occasional guppies agrees with them because they are able to grow some monsters.

michael_cb_125
04/08/2009, 01:50 PM
Our Midas is about 11-12" and EVIL. I have scars on my forearms from him attacking me while cleaning the glass...... his name is BOB

~Michael

sunfishh
04/08/2009, 03:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14785528#post14785528 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LukFox

I have seen them at Catalina too. Once we rented some gear and went snorkelling. My dad had a bright orange stripe down the sides of his wetsuit and about a dozen garibaldi followed him everywhere he went. It was a amazing.

anbosu
04/08/2009, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14786556#post14786556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michael_cb_125
Our Midas is about 11-12" and EVIL. I have scars on my forearms from him attacking me while cleaning the glass...... his name is BOB

~Michael

The one my parents used to have drew blood from my Mom one time...they are mean! The nucchal hump on that guy was out of control, too. Made it look like he was half rhinocerous or something.

danorth
04/08/2009, 07:20 PM
I've thought about one, but the color isn't always going to be bright from what I've read. Hard to keep the right foods or something, that and not all of them get the bright orange supposedly. Again, this is from the net, not true research.